Which Slr Camera?

Simpson

Right basically i have very little clue of cameras and stuff but i would like a cam that is sutible for landscapes and portrats and also like trials photography as well. I want really crisp images and everything! i think ill probably have to buy 2nd hand but its my 18th coming up soon so id be prepared to put a few hundered in if it gets me what i want!!!!

So What should i be looking at? Cannon? Nikon?

Anyone got any 2nd hand fs atm? lenses? addons?

i really know nothing just wanna go out taking photos like now!!! hahaha

So the Nikon D50 sounds like the best option arround atm? i mean im going to have a propper thorough look arround and look into prices and stuff but at about 330quid doesnt sound that bad? what extras would i need with a package like that

the d40x, has this stupid bloody lense thing, meaning CAN NOT use all of the nikkor lenses, u can hardly use any at all, and ud be able to get a d50 for cheaper, and its a better camera.

I wouldn't say hardly any at all, the majority of lenses are AF-S and can be used with the D40, any Nikkor lens can be used, its just those without the autofocus motor in the lens will have to be manually focused, which may or may not be a problem for you.

However, this is the minority of lenses, but does unfortunately contain the superb 50mm 1.8 prime.

The image quality of the D40x is also better than the D50 you'll find.

So the Nikon D50 sounds like the best option arround atm? i mean im going to have a propper thorough look arround and look into prices and stuff but at about 330quid doesnt sound that bad? what extras would i need with a package like that

my gf got her aself a d50 with a 18-55 kit lense

tamron 55-200mm zoom

1gb card

crumpler pretty boy bag

£450 from wilkinson cameras.

f**king bargain.

Well i mean i do want it totally to get some pics of towns and stuff, get some cool angles, take with me places to get some cool shots, kinda document my life just want something thats going to be fun, useable and easy, good quality sharp images, taking some skill to use and have fun with

you love it, slag.

i did say maybe. i'd probably say at that level (350 / 50 ) it would be down to personal choice/ergonomics.

You didnt say maybe!

"second hand 350, not only because i'm a canon sackrider, but it tears the arse out of the d40/d40x and probably the d50."

No maybe there, you can't even do a cheeky edit because I've quoted you already.

right im going to just tell you straight.

If your serious and want a big kit with lots of lens and such, get a canon 400d. the nikon d40x etc are hindered by the lens issue ( only new lenses will work and they are expensive or cheap crappy ones)

Canon have great lenses all the way through their range and the top end ones are argubly better than the nikon.

IF however you want a fantastic camera and willing to stray from canon or nikon, get a pentax k10d. fantastic camera. weatherproof(rain, dust etc) good lenses available however dont expect the amazing telephotos like the canons, and you have all the sigma lenses to play with that are great.

the K10d is a seriously good camera and now a bargin.( around 500 with lens)

If your are serious about photography go with canon or nikon though as they offer better top end stuff, and if so i strongly suggest a canon 400d or even a 30d if you can stretch to it.