Myspace Designing

*PHIL*

I'd be surprised if you found many people willing to part cash for a myspace design when there are literally hundreds of thousands available for free off google, mostly will step by step guide/previews/how to's etc for them.

Websites are different. With myspace, everyone uses the same basic format, and there are restrictions that you must stick to, which limits things, unlike websites where youc an have any format, for any purpose to get across any message you may want to get across. If you can do it, do it, but you're best in my eyes making money designing websites for adults/companies, rather than myspace for teenagers/students...

Alright there.

Basically, last night someone saw my myspace page and said they would want me to design theirs for them. This got me thinking, is there actually much business for this sort of thing? Getting paid to design peoples myspaces, either for personal or business use.

Ive been making websites and such for years now so I can do the whole 'doesn't look anything like myspace anymore' look as I have done for my page HERE... I know my pages is VERY basic at the minute but thats what I was going for. I can do HTML and Flash and the like.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this were or if anyone knows of anyone who already does this?

PHIL

Someone liked your "design" of being all black with half the stuff removed? :S

Like already said, theres thousands available for free... whilst you might be able to make them for friends, you won't be able to do them on a large scale.

Not "much" business as such.

I came across this profile the other day - http://www.myspace.com/gutsandstuff

He seems to be designing mostly on myspace amongst other things. That's if you wanna put up with dickhead scenesters / bands :lol:

I know people who've been paid to do bands myspaces but not much. If you're really that into it you'd be better off working for myspace or its advertisers themselves.

I imagine there's a fair bit of cash to be made designing the "next big thing" myspace pages. i.e the Skins one, Big Brother one or Reading / Leeds / other summer festivals...

Edited by the boon

No.

+1.

No-one will pay for them. Fact. No-one will pay for music nowadays, do you really think they will for a myspace design? And if they did someone would just leak it onto the net and rip you out of the money stream.

Jon Mack's myspace is better designed than yours I'd say, and it didn't take him long at all.

NOTE:

Im not like the rest of the 'designers' on myspace. This is actually my job, so dont be shocked when i tell you how much its gunna cost you. My rates represent my client base. I only work with the best.

Haha. The last line makes me laugh.

Tell you what though, this guys profile is f**king awesome: http://www.myspace.com/tombarnesphotographic

sorry but if you claim that is your job, i would consider yourself unemployed..

also..47 freinds of a 'pro' mysepace designer.. :ermm:

anyway as has been pointed out,...there are many free designs available thanks to the bombardment of popups when visiting pimpmyprofile etc. but still, some are really good.

IMO, your page looks crap lol

i didnt claim my page was the best there is or anything. i wanted it to be simple.

sorry but if you claim that is your job, i would consider yourself unemployed..

also..47 freinds of a 'pro' mysepace designer.. :ermm:

its not my job.....

and my profile isnt my 'pro' designer page. its my personal page, with real people as friends and a few bands i like to be updated on.

who said anything about pro anyway?

There is money in it, if you had the right connections, Which you dont.

You would be better of learning some more comprehensive code and doing things properly (ie not myspace) and see where you go from there.

99.9% of myspace pages look awful, Even if you get them looking alright it only takes one tit posting a message 600 charectors wide or some stupid image/advert to mess the entire display up.

Would post mine, but my host is dead and its taken a lot of images including bg pattern with it :(

Edited by br3n

is that it, just the black page with very little text?

thats the worst f**king myspace profile ive ever seen, if i paid you, and u made that for me id demand my money back.

:lol::wub:

Ha ha, i love dave... he just comes right out and says it, f**king leg-end!

He also happens to be 100% right ;)

webdesigners/graphic designers (mostly the scenesta's) went through a stage a few years back of doing stuff like this, Eveything was pretty user-unfriendly and hard work to navigate, no text just big images of nothing in particular way, you had to keep clicking shit to get to whatever you wanted.

I think its a kind of, eliteist affair. where if you dont appreciate it your just "not as cool". thats my understanding of it.

oh, i also jumped on that trend a few years back, people got confused and to this day im not sure why i did it.. But its always nice to appear to be different.

theres very little business in it, only business i could see would be actually designing several layouts, and producing a site with these on for free download, and then charging for adverts on that site.

i have very little computer ability, i can use photoshop, i know almost no html,(used to know a fair bit in school but remember very little), but i produced mine, by chopping up a pre made layout. photoshopping some images and buttons, and reading about some code off the net, then altering, think it looks a fair bit more proffessional than yours, with half your "is in your extended network missing and half visible..my myspac for comparison

no offence to your profile, but to make anything sellable, youve got to have something mind blowing. like my mate had a digi slr as his myspace profile, with the buttons photoshoppped to say "pics" rather than "menu" "comments" rather than "settings" etc. but still id only of payed like £2 for it no matter how bad i wanted it