Removing Pad Material From Backings

Joey B

Right.. I have bought myself some Rock pads and some Heatsink CNC'ed Backings to put on my new rear brake setup and i have got to the point where I need to remove the material from the plastic powerpad backings.

I have not even got a clue on how to do this without damaging the pad material at the same time. There seems to be quite a bit of superglue (assuming that what it is) holding the material in.

So my question to my fellow forumites is.... how the bloody hell do I get it out!

Cheers in advance guys and gals

Joey B
Edited by fugigas

Right.. I have bought myself some Rock pads and some Heatsink CNC'ed Backings to put on my new rear brake setup and i have got to the point where I need to remove the material from the plastic powerpad backings.

I have not even got a clue on how to do this without damaging the pad material at the same time. There seems to be quite a bit of superglue (assuming that what it is) holding the material in.

So my question to my fellow forumites is.... how the bloody hell do I get it out!

Cheers in advance guys and gals

Joey B

I'm not entirely sure but if it is a 'superglue' based glue (cyanoacrylate) then acetone will break the bond.

I'm curious to know what glue you will be using to glue the pads in the new backings.

surely putting them in the oven or boiling them would change the compound therefore probably not work very good??

correct me if im wrong

100 degrees in boiling water wouldnt be a problem. May not actually be enough to soften the glue but the PU would still be the same.

Theres quite a big industry in PU bushes, high speed bearings etc. Working temps can be very high.

Heatsink Pad fitting guide

I've found boiling in water works well but the oven method works more effortlessly. :)

Steve

Cheers Steve that will sort me out when I get the backings I just ordered from you.

I have just returned from the oven, as the boiling water didn't seem to melt the glue enough, but i can now vouch for the oven as it sorted me out perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for there help (Y)

Feel free to keep putting in ideas as this may help someone else :D

Edited by fugigas