Cleaning Rims/ Pads

duggyd

I've been using white spirit and kitchen roll. Put it on the kitchen roll, andrun it round the rim until no more black comes off... Then maybe give the pads a quick wipe too.

It works SO well, i was wondering if it's likely to damage the brake blocks or tyres being rubber? I would imagine that it's fine, but just thought I'd check!

Cheers guys.

I've been using white spirit and kitchen roll. Put it on the kitchen roll, andrun it round the rim until no more black comes off... Then maybe give the pads a quick wipe too.

It works SO well, i was wondering if it's likely to damage the brake blocks or tyres being rubber? I would imagine that it's fine, but just thought I'd check!

Cheers guys.

White spirit leaves a slightly oily residue and takes a while to dry.

Go to your local autofactors and pick up some brake cleaner (comes in an aerosol can) spray some on a clean rag and wipe it around the rim and clean your pads with it. If you have tar on your rims it will dissolve it in no time at all, dries in seconds and leaves no residue.

Cool, nice one guys!

So it looks like soapy water or brake cleaner are the way to go, Muc-off, white spirit and petrol all leave a residue...

I would think that the soapy water would be pretty slippery if it was not totally removed and then the rim got wet! Has anyone experienced this?!

Thanks for the suggestion of rain Shovel, but i stay in when it rains! lol

Will pick up some brake cleaner when i get a chance i think.

Cheers everyone!

White spirit leaves a slightly oily residue and takes a while to dry.

Go to your local autofactors and pick up some brake cleaner (comes in an aerosol can) spray some on a clean rag and wipe it around the rim and clean your pads with it. If you have tar on your rims it will dissolve it in no time at all, dries in seconds and leaves no residue.

Noooo.... Don't do this.

Car brake cleaner contains oil to stop the steel disks rusting, which gets burnt off at the high temperatures car brakes operate at.

It will clean the shit off, then just leave you with a film of oil to deal with.

car disc brakes come coated in oil to stop them rusting before you buy them, you clean this off with brake cleaner as it's a solvent and doesnt leave any residue. If it did leave a residue then what would be the point in using it? The cars brakes wouldnt work!

I used to have a large can of FinishLine disk rotor cleaner, its just brake cleaner i think, it works a treat and seems to give you a head rush in the process :rolleyes: !! In fact, it also seems to be the only solvent that cleans a brush covered in hammerite paint, much better than paint stripper!!

Andrew

Any oven cleaners will work, because oven cleaners are designed to get the deep grime off of your cooker sidewalls and make it clean, normally the foaming ones workbest as you can leave it on there for an hour to do its job then rinse it off with water, works ok on pads but i tend to get a sheet of sand paper and sand the top layerof the pad off, works incredibly well.

Any oven cleaners will work, because oven cleaners are designed to get the deep grime off of your cooker sidewalls and make it clean, normally the foaming ones workbest as you can leave it on there for an hour to do its job then rinse it off with water, works ok on pads but i tend to get a sheet of sand paper and sand the top layerof the pad off, works incredibly well.

Don't some of them also leave an oily residue to stop food and grease sticking to the oven quite so easily in the future?

LOL Genius reply :lol:

So, it looks like it's anything that's solvent based to cut through the oil/crap/dirt/tar on your rim, but leaves no residue. Makes sense!

I used to use sandpaper on the pads, so i think that go back to that, seemed to work perfectly. The rims I will have to experiment with various solvents. I'll have to investigate the brake cleaner, maybe some have a light oil in, others don't?

Anyway, thanks for the numerous and very informative replies everyone :)

Brake cleaner should not contain any oils. It's purpose is to remove everything from the brake rotor and friction material, including itself by evaporation. The cleaners that leave a residue will be degreaser. Most are now fortified with rust inhibiters to, you guessed it, prevent rust. These will leave an oily film because that is what they are designed to do. If you want to clean you brakes use brake cleaner, Comma or AutoGem work best in aerosol form, or you can get a fluid spray in a 5 ltr tin (bulk buying ***) by Swarfega called StopQuik, this works well too.

Concentrated sterilizing liquid (used for cleaning baby bottles) which you can get from Poundland stores or local market. very effective in oxidizing your sidewalls from dirt and contaminents. a simple test to show its effectiveness pour a diluted solution into a stained teapot for about 10mins and watch in amazement. be sure when cleaning your rims in this stuff is to dry wipe them clean immediately after cleaning if you dont this stuff to turn your rims rust/brown. results are immediate in terms of super grabby braking performance. oh yeah you brake pads will sound like loud fog horns.

Edited by Rusevelt