The Design Thread

GlynnP

I entered the SH! design awards last month and got short-listed to the final 12. Few weeks back I went for an interview at Brahm in Leeds to show my work to the judgers.

Exhibition and results night is at the end of this week. I wanted to display something better than just ink on papers, heres what I came up with.

dscf0705k.jpg

Something different.

Hey! Pretty slick - me likey! I'd think my only criticism might be to have used a plexi with a bit of a satin finish to keep the glare and fingerprints down and to make the text pop. Still really cool! Congrats on getting on the good list. Someone's going places! =)

Got a question for you guys but not really sure what or how i am asking.

Theres a choice:

-Foundation Degree in Graphic Design

or

-National Diploma in Graphic Design

These are two choices i currently have to possibly go on to college and do.

What i am wanting to know, is in a non like rude way, which would gain you more respect with an employer.

Like which looks 'better' on a CV or something?

Cheers

James

Got a question for you guys but not really sure what or how i am asking.

Theres a choice:

-Foundation Degree in Graphic Design

or

-National Diploma in Graphic Design

These are two choices i currently have to possibly go on to college and do.

What i am wanting to know, is in a non like rude way, which would gain you more respect with an employer.

Like which looks 'better' on a CV or something?

Cheers

James

I'm out of the loop on the English qualifications....I headed to the USA for my college. AA's and BA's

From my experience with degrees in the field of design.

A degree is a piece of paper, with monetary pull and the quality of being able to opening doors.

Your portfolio and knowledge of programs will be what gets you hired.

Advice if you do pursue this for college;

Don't become a one trick pony..

Example you may get to be amazing a Illustrator and have the ability to produce a Class A finishes, but if a company used a variety of other programs they will hire the person that will require the least amount of teaching in these programs. (they may not be as skilled in that one program but it a time and money thing)

Do all work in school for your portfolio, love it or hate the project - show how well you work.

Keep an eye on others work....students and professionals. Knowing your competition will put you a step ahead and push you to be the best you can be.

Good luck...any jobs that allow you to be creative are a major plus in my eyes.

Hi all,

Not sure where to paste this, as I dunno if it's a Design Thread thing or not, but have been doing a weekly comic for my newspaper. Up to installment 32 and they haven't canned it yet, so figured I'd share the link (takes you to our local newspaper website) The series is about a couple (Tom and his wife Jessica) that's getting involved in all kinds of outdoor activities. Live and learn kinda thing.

Let me know if you think it's alright and if you have any thoughts or suggestions. Enjoy.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090625/...ping-Up-June-25

Thats really nice style and well put together

I only feel the story lacks slightly with the language mainly

The narrative is slightly fake sounding its that sort of traditional tv language and doesnt sound how we would acturly talk

Sorry my english isnt any better ( infact its worse ) but i hope what i was trying to say came across correct

Edited by GlynnP

Yeah, I suppose the hardest thing for me to do is to condense the ideas or stories into 3 or 4 frames. I'm not really a very good writer.

Thanks for the comments! :) I'll try to work on that part a bit.

I really like your drawing style..super clean and has a great gestured feel.

Just arranged my internview for the foundation degree course for next week.

So need to gather a bit of a portfolio. Any particular way i should display stuff etc?

Any help would be appreciated

:)

Divide it up into skills 'chapters'...then each chapter into projects, or collections of similar work.

i.e. Fine Art skills, painting, hand drawing, photography etc

Another would be- Computer Skills, show work done on Photoshop, illustrator etc.

From experience if your printing images / pages for your folio, do it on glossy paper or something other than the standard printer paper.

Add your CV along with it.

Another tip; if you have work you are super proud of, put it in your portfolio twice if needs be. I alway put a stand out piece of work in as the very last page with all my information (I may have that piece of work a project earlier in my portfolio.) This is the last thing anyone will see who is looking at your portfolio and the most likely to be remembered.

Dilema:

This probably makes me sound a bit spoilt but hey...

The parents have said that they will buy me a Mac if i get myself onto this graphic design course.

I'm stuck between the macbook pro or a 24" imac.

I really can not make up my mind. Obviously the pro would be handy for portability but the the screen of the imac would just be beautiful.

What would you choose?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just hammered out a fun illustration for a story about how families are making their own 'fast-food-style' meals at home to save a few fat grams and lots of money. Hope you like the idea. Needs many more details, but the turn around time on this one didn't allow for that. May go back and clean it up a bit for a portfolio piece.

Cheers!

post-18816-1249423895_thumb.jpg

I'm no web designer but it does the job.

www.craigleescott.com

Sweet start! I'm just dipping into web stuff, still. Never seem to get around to it even though staying on top of stuff = job security for me. In any case, I like where you're going and getting your designs out there is important. Good job!

Something to consider would be designing center loading pages these days. Left side is slowly getting kicked to the curb as really wide monitors are becoming the norm. Not that big a deal, but it might make someone 'in the know' notice the attention to detail.

Cheers!

Hi all,

Just hammered out a fun illustration for a story about how families are making their own 'fast-food-style' meals at home to save a few fat grams and lots of money. Hope you like the idea. Needs many more details, but the turn around time on this one didn't allow for that. May go back and clean it up a bit for a portfolio piece.

Cheers!

You drew that? Shit man, seriously good work. :o

DRAWING IS FOR KIDS GO AND WORK IN AN OFFICE LIKE A REAL MAN

Hahaha, I work in an office AND draw.

As far as 'real' work, had plenty of that too. Years of warehousing, truck and rail car loading. Commercial food equipment delivery and installations (ranges, giant refrigerators and freezers etc). I've had enough of f**king real work. I'd rather draw. :P

I'm sure others have me beat though. Warehousing is 90% boring.

Thanks for the nice comments!

:Edited for seplling:

Edited by Tappets

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey all,

I know this is a bit of a random question. But i'm just wondering if there were any particular types of paper you would recommend for printing on, rather then just the stand a4 sheet of writing paper.

Well depends on what you want. Do you actually mean styles of paper or sizes of paper?

For instance i have today completed a magazine i've designed to send out as a promo piece of my work. Originally it was going to be a newspaper so i got hold of newspaper quality stuff, but it soon grew in to a more stylish magazine so they style will have to chance accordingly.

As has been said theres 1001 paper types, sizes are infinite but theres also different possible finishing like foil block, embossing etc. Theres no end to what is possible.

• 2 months later...