The Design Thread

GlynnP

Not so much design (although web design). I'm a complete novice at web design, i'm self taught and only learnt the minimum to get away with. I've never designed anything particularly nice so I need some help now I am trying to (expect a series of very annoying nooby questions over the next week or so).

So first things first. I want to do a background of a colour, but with a very wide bar of white centrally alligned, shading either side so the white looks raised from the colour. I thought of making an image and making that the background but wont that cause the content to appear closer to the edges (even overlapping) on smaller resolutions? I also thought that I could create the white bar seperate and have it a certain pixel width, so that at any resoloution the content fits the white the same, but that doesn't seem right either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

Not so much design (although web design). I'm a complete novice at web design, i'm self taught and only learnt the minimum to get away with. I've never designed anything particularly nice so I need some help now I am trying to (expect a series of very annoying nooby questions over the next week or so).

So first things first. I want to do a background of a colour, but with a very wide bar of white centrally alligned, shading either side so the white looks raised from the colour. I thought of making an image and making that the background but wont that cause the content to appear closer to the edges (even overlapping) on smaller resolutions? I also thought that I could create the white bar seperate and have it a certain pixel width, so that at any resoloution the content fits the white the same, but that doesn't seem right either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Do it as a background, set the width of the white section to 960px and set the main div to about 940px then just do margin: 0 auto; in the CSS to center it.

Smallest res you'll be facing is 1024x768 except mobile browsing so 960 is a good max-width.

Do it as a background, set the width of the white section to 960px and set the main div to about 940px then just do margin: 0 auto; in the CSS to center it.

Smallest res you'll be facing is 1024x768 except mobile browsing so 960 is a good max-width.

Is it wrong that I'm still stuckin my ways to catering for 800x600? lol

Thats what I was thinking of too, I said smallest res but meant largest. It was the one with the smallest numbers haha

I generally work to a width of around 650px because it works on pretty much anything and I think it kinda looks cool on wider screens anyway. Personal taste though.

Much nicer. Can you put more bleed on the bottom so the left col isn't as close to the edge? And then set the leading so that the left and right columns follow the same baseline, and also finish at the same height? The fact that the left col of text is longer unbalances the texts. Also, there are capitalisation inconsistencies in the services list: you have logos without a capital 'L'.

EDIT:

Baseline like this:

b6q3x4.jpg

Edited by Bronz

Body text is better but the gap between the 'R' amd 'E' in ''dare'' and ''dream'' is annoying me. Considering how overlapped the letters are for the majoirty of the word ,the slight overlap on these letters doesn't seem to fit.

I'd adjust the spacing on the website also to make it a bit more legible.

The wording in the body text is much better this time around though. In terms of services, state what you do in order of importance and competence. Fpr that i think 'myspace profiles' should be last on the list.

Nice work brotato.

I been working on a few sites over the last few weeks,

http://concretecommunity.co.uk

http://stereoaddiction.com

Currently pitching for a job for a club in Lisbon, but apart from that I'm pretty dry on the work front :(

Love the stereo addiction site, looks ace.

What font did you use for the banner btw? May come in handy in the future :)

Errrrm... I dunno. I know XHTML/CSS like the back of my hand, and I just piss around reading around the codex to get to grips with WordPress.

Layout I'm working on at the moment, still need to sort out the slideshow navigation and the content/footer....

layoutng89545.jpg

Errrrm... I dunno. I know XHTML/CSS like the back of my hand, and I just piss around reading around the codex to get to grips with WordPress.

Ah ok man, because i currently have a blog but really want my own look for it but dont know how to make it.

I'm currently just using a template :(

I've had to design sites lately for people, annoying as my design skills are proper shit!

http://www.cudgel.co.uk/integrastella/

First one i designed of which i hate the banner, but didn't really have a lot to go on. :(

http://www.cudgel.co.uk/morfspeed/

This one i quite like, although needs a gallery and not quite worked out a way of making it look non-shit so far.

http://www.nuckingfuts.info/

That ones a personal project which i may actually start properly at some point. :/

Don't like designing, i got ok-ish ideas just not the skills to put them onto screen using Fireworks/Photoshop. :(

I have the same problem, I'm utterly awful in photoshop, I've only actually done 3 websites though all for the same company. :P

Well here it is anyway, please note that my original design has been forcably edited by the sports coaches....

(The logo in the background, the fecking welcome page thing, the header/banner).

www.sportsweeks.net

I'm not actually that bothered that it's not too pretty, what I care about is that it works in all browsers, it loads fast and doesn't have any mistakes. (As you may be able to tell from the whole layout, I have an engineers mind not a designers).

Hopefully I'll get some designing skills when I'm at uni!

I have the same problem, I'm utterly awful in photoshop, I've only actually done 3 websites though all for the same company. :P

Well here it is anyway, please note that my original design has been forcably edited by the sports coaches....

(The logo in the background, the fecking welcome page thing, the header/banner).

www.sportsweeks.net

I'm not actually that bothered that it's not too pretty, what I care about is that it works in all browsers, it loads fast and doesn't have any mistakes. (As you may be able to tell from the whole layout, I have an engineers mind not a designers).

Hopefully I'll get some designing skills when I'm at uni!

Unfortunately it has loads of mistakes. And you'll be lucky to keep it working in all browsers (actually, it doesn't work in all browsers if you count mobile devices).

Care to point any out? I did check it with a validator thingy a while ago, but the only mistakes were ones which I didn't think mattered enough to bother changing them.

I didn't think it was too bad considoring I'm self-taught and that was my third site I'd actually coded. (I did do another one in Frontpage years and years ago. :P)

Care to point any out? I did check it with a validator thingy a while ago, but the only mistakes were ones which I didn't think mattered enough to bother changing them.

I didn't think it was too bad considoring I'm self-taught and that was my third site I'd actually coded. (I did do another one in Frontpage years and years ago. :P)

Hmm, I'm self taught too, but have done hundreds of sites haha.

Basically you need to look at how it's coded, it won't work with styles disabled (major accessibility flaw). Also, it's no longer valid (I'd recommend using a Strict DOCTYPE to make sure the validator picks up all poor code).

At least it doesn't use tables though!

Read this that I wrote: http://csswizardry.com/web-design+/ It may help.