The Design Thread

GlynnP

All done at Uni, everythings in. End of year show next month.

A selection of images of bits from verious projects. Im enjoying type at the moment.

Self promotional and experimental stuff...

dscf1515.jpg

dscf1516.jpg

dscf1517.jpg

dscf1514.jpg

dscf1519.jpg

dscf1539.jpg

Paste street art project. Ill have a site online some time soon.

dscf1502.jpg

More laceup stuff.

dscf1527z.jpg

dscf1529.jpg

dscf1531.jpg

dscf1528.jpg

dscf1543.jpg

My first typeface. Needs alot of time spending on it. Once it's done, you can all have a copy to use however you want. If you want it that is.

dscf1493.jpg

dscf1490.jpg

dscf1495.jpg

dscf1496.jpg

Also got some Selectbikes stuff to follow.

dscf1537.jpg

Edited by Mr_scott

The selectbikes logo is a good idea and looks quite nice. Not to be mean but the rest of the stuff seems very typical graphic design. That may well be a good thing to most, but from my point of view its the sort of thing i see from lots of graphic design students, its a touch generic. It certainly does look the part and will no doubt attract a bunch of potential clients but i'm hard pressed to see how it stands out from much other work.

It happens throughout all design, people emulate one another, especially with work that is deemed ''good''. A lot of final year students come out looking the same as they often aspire to the same thing.. BY all means dont be put off by what i'm saying its just my honest opinion. Its just the helvetica typeface, CMYK thing is sooooo done - it is literally everywhere so i don't see how many peoples work differentiates? Also, i see the arrow on the Epson stylus page absolutely everywhere, most noticably in the tate modern....thats my point, i dont really like work that reminds me of other work.....

Ok so,

I have a logo i've drawn up for a band.

They really wanted it like identical to the style of superdry, so please dont go hurling any insults for the obvious similarity in design :(

But i now have the need to recreate the design in photoshop/illustrator but am failing ever so harshly at it :(

I've scanned in the design and am trying to go over the lines etc with the pen tool but just cant seem to crack it.

Anyone got any guidence or tips on how to do it?

The designs below:

Apologies for the shockingly bad sketch up, i'm really no artist aha

lovescare4.jpg

You're on the right track. Keep practicing using the pen tool and it will 'click' once you get it figured out. Took me a while to really like the pen tool in either application, but now find them indispensable.

Maybe hunt down a few pen tool tutorial videos?

Illustrator was made for things like this though. Any progress?

lovescare4.jpg

As has been said, do it in Illustrator, using the pen tool. With the complex curves it might be easier to do them as multiple shapes, and then combine them all together using pathfinder.

EDIT: Links that might help

http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/ornat...tering-process/

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/2d...rnate_lettering

http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/from-...r-illustration/

Craig, I'd love a copy of your typeface.

Edited by JonMack

Since the football season is over i've been trying my hand at making football shirts etc. Nothing amazing but im proud of it.

post-5550-1242850243_thumb.jpg

It's an amazing feeling to see one's designs when they print on clothes, at least for me anyway. Looks great to me! Have you seen a finished product?

Ok after spending 5 minutes on illustrator with the pen tool i have found a new love :D

Thanks for the help and tutorials guys :)

Awesome!

Illustrator rocks for such things as logos and line art. You have me beat with the 5 minutes thing. Took me a long time to really get the hang of how powerful it can be. I was always a photoshop/pixel manipulator, and Illustrator's a totally different beast.

We expect a visual report, sir.

Awesome!

Illustrator rocks for such things as logos and line art. You have me beat with the 5 minutes thing. Took me a long time to really get the hang of how powerful it can be. I was always a photoshop/pixel manipulator, and Illustrator's a totally different beast.

We expect a visual report, sir.

Yeeah, obviously still getting used to it. But the pen tool on photoshop seems to have no comparison to that of illustrator.

And you will have a visual report later today i hope :D

That looks good, i tried something similar to you the other day and its pretty shit compared to that i dont have the patience!

I think the a needs a bit of work though, it looks too 'chunky' compared to the rest of the letters.

To update on my last post.

Heres what i've done so far.

Its pretty scrappy and very unfinished but hey ho :)

lovescare6.jpg

Use less anchor points, it looks very rough at the edges. Literally try and use as little anchor points as possible for the smoothest finish. Keep playing around, it will take a long time to master. I recently looked at my first vector graphic and it was appauling, there was well over 100 anchor points...very dodgy. I'd give it another crack bud.

Use less anchor points, it looks very rough at the edges. Literally try and use as little anchor points as possible for the smoothest finish. Keep playing around, it will take a long time to master. I recently looked at my first vector graphic and it was appauling, there was well over 100 anchor points...very dodgy. I'd give it another crack bud.

Thanks for the tip man!

Just started redoing it and it looks so much smoother and flowy :)

Agreed, looks good man.

Joes still right though in that the bars of the 'a' are still too think which makes it look a bit awkward. It's also possibly not quiiiite slanted enough to the right, play around with it i reckon.