The Design Thread

GlynnP

Tarty's design is okay, as is Danny Macs, but Danny Mac's is built horribly!

I'd like to build a decent trials site actually. Wonder what it could have on it though… *ponders*

Edited by Bronz

Tarty's design is okay, as is Danny Macs, but Danny Mac's is built horribly!

I'd like to build a decent trials site actually. Wonder what it could have on it though… *ponders*

Except for using div's for presentation, it's built fine?

What websites have you done in the past?

Whats up with Danny Macs? It's W3C complient and all that jazz?

It's not really, uses images all over the shop where it should be using text, its main background image isn't actually a background, it's an inline img. There's more…

Except for using div's for presentation, it's built fine?

What websites have you done in the past?

That divs line makes no sense to me, sorry. Divs are what's meant to be used.

Sites I've worked on? Mainly white labels but I've built sites for Nissan, Skoda, Renault, Volvo, Black Horse (an finance/insurance subsidiary of Lloyds TSB), You! Car Warranty. I do a lot of work on Travelodge's site, I did some work on Rizla.co.uk. I'm currently rebuilding a big site for one of the UKs major cities (NDA, can't say owt much about that one). GHD, tiny bit on Tesco (insurance again). Worked on Imperial Tobacco and Warburtons. All those have been done at work though so not all code on them is mine (except the Nissan, Skoda, Renault, Volvo, Black Horse, You! Car Warranty and major city one).

My personal portfolio is at http://csswizardry.com/

Edited by Bronz

Ah, an 18 year old hot shot, this explains a lot.

This is Bike Trials, not every site is going to be built by a multi million pound web agency. I think it's quite lucky that we've got anything near the standard of design for a website that Danny Mac has.

I'm saying nothing, I think you write in a very arrogant style and I'm not into that, but each to their own.

Agreed.

You're right, that probably was a little (lot?) arrogant. Apologies.

Plus, if I worded my job how you did yours, I build and test fighter jets for the US army.

Not sure what point you're trying to make there though. Implying I was exaggerating my occupation?

Edited by Bronz

When looking through some CV's for possible employee's a while back there was quite a few people who wrote what you just have. One in particular had worked for O2 and made out to have a massive role to play in their website. In actual fact he had edited the footer of a tiny microsite and he didn't know his arse from his elbow when it came down to it, and god only knows how he got to edit what he was. Needless to say his CV didn't get my approval and my boss soon threw it out.

If we going by this premiss, i've worked for Butlins, Crimestoppers, Age Concern, Leonard Cheshire, Newmarket, Southampton Uni and most of the NHS foundations in the UK. But i haven't really, have i. Some site's i've been lead developer, some i've made the search on, and other's i've simply done an email newsletter for.

Don't worry, i was once full of spunk and described my job as you do. I just hope one day you'll settle down as that kind of attitude and one you've recently been displaying really gets you no where. Least you got passion. :)

I never claimed I built the whole of all sites though. Certain ones in that list I did code from the ground up, others are continual amends and updates, some are, as you stated, minor edits.

Though saying that, I do definitely know my arse from my elbow. I am very good at what I do and I can quite easily explain my arrogance around my job. It's one of the only areas I excel in, so it's really the only thing I have to show off about, that's all.

IE6 is a flawed browser, but if you know how to code properly and sensibly you won't come across any problems. I just coded a full site and it worked perfectly in IE6 first time round without any hacks or conditional CSS.

To be fair this is true for the most part. If you know the work arounds then it's really not too much to ask to get it looking good in IE6. In fact I find IE7 more of a pain to my work these days. If you're talking about pixel perfect and identical to a modern browser without compromise though then yes, you're gonna need to start billing.

oh.. and transparent pngs. they're a bitch.

Some really simple jQuery fixes for this out there like this one or this one. If you're using jQuery on a site anyway then it's not much of a deal.

If you want to go the whole hog, why not make IE5/6 behave like IE7 or 8 :)http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/

Edit:

Here's another IE targeting idea which uses conditionals in a different way, but it does mean you'll have to add an extra div.: http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/cc-plus.html

Some really simple jQuery fixes for this out there like this one or this one. If you're using jQuery on a site anyway then it's not much of a deal.

If you want to go the whole hog, why not make IE5/6 behave like IE7 or 8 :)http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/

Edit:

Here's another IE targeting idea which uses conditionals in a different way, but it does mean you'll have to add an extra div.: http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/cc-plus.html

We use jQuery on most of our sites, yeah. I've had varying success with the jquery png fixes. This seems to be the one I've had most success with - http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/

The ie7-js looks interesting, I'll check it out in work tomorrow :)

Looks sick jon. The 'ConcreteCommunity.com' in the bottom left corner pisses me off, although it might just be because i have a personal vendetta with that kinda thing. It's just got such a 'down with the kids' graffiti kinda style that to alot of the people you're aiming at who maybe are into graff will get put off by. Also kinda just seems out of place cos everything else has a quite sophisticated style.

I know where you're coming from, but the reason I've done it is because 1) I wanna be down with the kids and 2) I don't really like the original logo I did.

Be grateful that it's not a crappy free font, it's actually GoVandal http://www.gomedia.us/arsenal/go-vandal-font.html and I positioned and sized each letter individually, so it could have been a lot worse :P

Still, like I said it still needs work :)