The Design Thread

GlynnP

Mix of stuff....I'm about to graduate with a BA in Industrial Design, I have a back ground of graphic design and fine art.

Coroflot has maybe 15% of my actual portfolio...too busy with Graduate project to update this.

www.coroflot.com/phlo (Y)

Illustrator

263855_6413uPs2eQPssjozwZQ1TNzb4.jpg

3-D Studio Max

263855_NAqe4ilVolz_8f3mAgirvmeZO.jpg

SolidWorks

263855_67jKnZ1j1rSelK8gqsLdJenOB.jpg

AutoCAD

BICYCLE%20DESIGN%20FINAL-Layout1.jpg

1a.jpg

Custom Paint

263855_fOtt9VCBexAVB5sRXndonC6Tx.jpg

263855_M7VwRSz7PL8YhuXInu1k3Zuhd.jpg

Edited by philth

Just curious.

I've been out of education for a little while now and popped down to my local college to see what graphic design course's and came across a foundation degree in graphic design.

I was just wondering if anyone's done one of these and thinks its worth it.

Cheers

James

Hi all im going to take higher graphics btec level at college

Has anyone done it?

Is it woeth it ?

Is it a good starter for a degree in Specialized CAD CAM ?

Thanks

Josh

afternoon,

i did a two year BTEC national diploma in graphic design, didnt do a fat lot on computers. but came away with straight distinctions. i personally didnt find it hard at all. and it got me into nottingham trent (didnt bother going though lol) to do graphic design so id say its a good course to do to get you on the path to do something related to graphics.

Hope this helps

arw

p.s- my college did like a branch of side projects like photography, textiles, life drawing etc which was cool, especially photography. another bonus is no exams its all coursework based.

Hi all im going to take higher graphics btec level at college

Has anyone done it?

Is it woeth it ?

Is it a good starter for a degree in Specialized CAD CAM ?

Thanks

Josh

I started my BTEC ND Graphic Design just under 6 years ago (f**k!) and really enjoyed it. It wasn't until after I left that I realised how much they all helped me to improve and get through uni, even if the techniques they taught me were a bit old fashioned, I still really enjoyed the course and it definitely gave me an advantage at uni, where I did BA(Hons) Graphic Design and left with a 2:1 just over a year ago.

It wont be a good starting point for a CAD/CAM degree, as graphic design and CAD/CAM are completely different things.

To all you people in the know about building websites an all that jazz (I haven't done it in ages but just building a new photography portfolio), is their any way of getting a photoviewer similair to the one this guy has on my site? I'm thinking some kinda lightbox style program?

I basically need just the photo flicker bit on that site which would be part of a static page, any ideas?

Cheers.

Edited by Max Quinn

I entered the SH! design awards last month and got short-listed to the final 12. Few weeks back I went for an interview at Brahm in Leeds to show my work to the judgers.

Exhibition and results night is at the end of this week. I wanted to display something better than just ink on papers, heres what I came up with.

Vinyl stickers

dscf0687.jpg

Sneaker vinyl on A1 foam board.

dscf0691d.jpg

Type vinyl on perspex.

dscf0696.jpg

dscf0701c.jpg

dscf0702.jpg

dscf0703.jpg

dscf0705k.jpg

Something different.

By that I assume you mean either just a bold geometric font, something slab serif, or a college style font? You don't really get many "sick as" hardcore band logos, they tend to be pretty simple, especially looking through http://www.bridge9.com/artists they all tend to be pretty simple, good, but simple.

Just curious.

I've been out of education for a little while now and popped down to my local college to see what graphic design course's and came across a foundation degree in graphic design.

I was just wondering if anyone's done one of these and thinks its worth it.

Cheers

James

Ive just finished the first two years of a foundation degree at my college, and will be moving up to plymouth for my final year. Really good course, gives you all the info skills etc you need, plus mine included a six week work experience at a design studio which was invaluable as I gained so much experience there and also scored myself a load of freelance work. Id say go for it. (Y)

By that I assume you mean either just a bold geometric font, something slab serif, or a college style font? You don't really get many "sick as" hardcore band logos, they tend to be pretty simple, especially looking through http://www.bridge9.com/artists they all tend to be pretty simple, good, but simple.

Na. I do it on Adobe Fireworks.

I make the basic letter design and then warp and change it to look more like this

post-18830-1245832673_thumb.jpg

Na. I do it on Adobe Fireworks.

I make the basic letter design and then warp and change it to look more like this

post-18830-1245832673_thumb.jpg

I don't know any hardcore bands with logos like that. Stuff like that is commonplace in the death/black/metal scene, but not in hardcore :S either way, they generally look shit.

Edited by JonMack

It can't be a good thing that I had no idea what that said until I went to reply and saw the file name...

I cant read it either.

I don't know any hardcore bands with logos like that. Stuff like that is commonplace in the death/black/metal scene, but not in hardcore :S either way, they generally look shit.

Its actualy a Grindcore one. Yeah hardcore doesnt actualy have ones like that. With Blood Comes Cleansing is the only one I know. And they are kind of Grindcore aswell. They are a good band, you should listen to them.

Ive just finished the first two years of a foundation degree at my college, and will be moving up to plymouth for my final year. Really good course, gives you all the info skills etc you need, plus mine included a six week work experience at a design studio which was invaluable as I gained so much experience there and also scored myself a load of freelance work. Id say go for it. (Y)

Ah that sounds cool man, what kind of things did you do during the course?

And were there any exams involved?