The Design Thread

GlynnP

Thanks for your help!

I never thought about getting it to work with styles disabled, but now you've said it it seems logical.

The old version of the site used tables and no CSS at all, so every piece of text needed to have a <font> tag with the size, font, colour etc. :lol:

Hmm, I'm self taught too, but have done hundreds of sites haha.

Basically you need to look at how it's coded, it won't work with styles disabled (major accessibility flaw).

Why does it matter about it working with styles disabled? Surely no one's ever going to view the site on a browser that doesn't support css, and if they do they don't deserve to be looking at the site?

In case it breaks or something goes wrong on the server, (highly unlikely, but still should be covered really).

Yes, I've just been reading. :P

Hmm, my new site mostly works but not quite... Think i'll take the risk rather than self extracting more teeth to pay the designer with :rolleyes:

Edit: he's sorting it now for free, how kind.

Edited by adamtrials

I havn't seen a link for this site yet, fancy posting it up?

It should be being advertised here within the next week or so, at the moment the content isn't quite finished/ a few aspects of the backend are being fiddled with.

Actually that's a lie, we're still working full time to try and get this b*****d to work fully in internet explorer. Lots of <!--[if IE ]> being utilised...

Edited by adamtrials

I hate IE so much, when I built our site nothing aligned right in IE, so i had to put a load of If IE lines in to sort it.

Trying to get it to view correctly in IE6 and IE7 aswell, that was fun, the number of times it would work in one but not the other...

Why does it matter about it working with styles disabled? Surely no one's ever going to view the site on a browser that doesn't support css, and if they do they don't deserve to be looking at the site?

People with disabilities who need to see a higher contrasting version, screenreaders need to be able to access unstyled clean code to read out the pages, and people with mobile browsers unlike the iPhone which can't fully render CSS. A site has to work without CSS or JavaScript.

To be honest, if you're careful with your CSS and know what your doing, the IE fixes will be tiny.

My thoughts exactly. People who moan about IE6 are usually* just poor coders.

*but not always

is MacroMedia Fireworks MX 2004 good for designing things?

Rob.

To be honest, I have no idea what Fireworks does, and I have yet to see the point in using it over Illustrator/Photoshop. Thus, my advice is to get either a bent copy of those two, which is bad or to buy them from Adobe - if you're a student I've heard you can get a rather large reduction.

To be honest, I have no idea what Fireworks does, and I have yet to see the point in using it over Illustrator/Photoshop. Thus, my advice is to get either a bent copy of those two, which is bad or to buy them from Adobe - if you're a student I've heard you can get a rather large reduction.

Its more really for web images and small animations, its not really that good, theres a lot more freedom with photoshop.

My thoughts exactly. People who moan about IE6 are usually* just poor coders.

*but not always

Not at all, IE6 is just 100% wrong, there is no two ways about it and if your design is more then 3 square boxes you will encounter problems with it regardless of how good your code is.

I'm fighting very hard to get IE6 compatible websites made an extra billable feature for websites. I easily spend an extra day or two above my allowed time trying to get it 100% working in IE6, and those 2 days certainly don't come cheap if the client isn't paying.

In regards to Fireworks, i'd say it's better for websites. Photoshop for photo's or some crazy images, Fireworks if you want to make a layout. All our designers use Fireworks and any that join that use Photoshop quickly switch. Harder to get simple things done, but once you managed them you're usually ok.

Not at all, IE6 is just 100% wrong, there is no two ways about it and if your design is more then 3 square boxes you will encounter problems with it regardless of how good your code is.

I'm fighting very hard to get IE6 compatible websites made an extra billable feature for websites. I easily spend an extra day or two above my allowed time trying to get it 100% working in IE6, and those 2 days certainly don't come cheap if the client isn't paying.

IE6 is a flawed browser, but if you know how to code properly and sensibly you won't come across any problems. I just coded a full site and it worked perfectly in IE6 first time round without any hacks or conditional CSS. Most people who can't get IE6 to work aren't actually very good coders*.

*this of course excludes PNG transparency and lack of browser support as these just don't work. Most (if not all) other things work if you code them right.

Most (if not all) other things work if you code them right.

You'll just have to trust me here when i say i code them right. :)

IE6 just plain doesn't work. Floating, box model, margin, overflow and even comments all are inherently flawed.