Viris Wtf Frame Update/announcement

Tim/Trialsin USA

It must be Christmas season!

Frank the Welder is building VIRIS WTF frames as we speak. 17 are in mid construction with an anticipated total of 25 to be built. If you are (unlikely) not aware of Frank or the frame, here is (pre approved by site administrator) the low down.

Frank the Welder (***) has been welding up frames for a few decades. His skill heralded, and finally fully recognized ('07 Mtn Bike Hall of Fame inductee). Frank approaches all cycling frame projects from a stand point of improvment/innovation, not marketing. Having been the torch behind Spooky trials frames a decade ago, he understands trials. He is known industry wide for designs thats beauty eminates from principles of engineering, not latest fashion.

Earlier this year, partly due to nagging and partly due to personal curiosity, Frank decided to re-enter the trials world. Having witnessed what dramatic changes have happened in trials frame design, he knew there was something positive he could contribute. He quickly saw that somethings that had changed were advances in the sport, and others were merely good marketing.

OK, so you know who Frank is now. Want to know more? Google his name, because the rest of us want to know about the frame. If you want to know more about the frame, read on:

1. Highest grade of 6K series aluminum. There are many grades of aluminum tubing on the market, even if the nomenclature is the same.....not all are the same. The WTF frame only has one grade, the best.

2. Stiffest frame on the market, period. It requires energy to flex a frame......your energy. This energy you will not get back, thus it is wasted. There are a reason you see huge tubes that extend forward from seatstays to the middle of the downtube, elimination of that flex..... you should keep your energy for further flight.

3. Simple, clean and durable chain tensioning system. I used to think horizontal dropouts were a good idea, until I had to change a number of peoples tires at events and make sure the disc was re-aligned.....all while in a rush. Vertical dropouts allow for the same alignment, everytime. The current offering of tensioners for vertical dropouts (for the most part) hang off the derailleur hanger. For the obvious reasons, of smashing etc.., is not satisfactory either. There have been recent additions to the market of rear hubs having the tensioner built in.....this, however straps you to one hub and its exclusiveness of cog. The tensioner mounting system used here on the *** frame is protected and simple and functional....hall mark of a well thought out design in trials. Recognizing that because of different chains/cogs/freewheel combinations not all chain wrap is the same, this tensioner may be set to pull up OR push down on the chain. By simple means of washers, it is also adjustable in and out.

4. Durability/Quality. What is trials, but repeatedly smashing your bike on rocks/rails/cement?! Design, tube selection and the quality of weld are what make create durabilty. This is trials, breakage is always a possibility, but with the WTF the odds are dramatically shifted to being on the side of longevity.

5. Geometry. Mabey this should have been number 1?! If the bike/frame is not rideable all else is becomes moot. There is something a designer/rider told me once a decade+ ago: "if you change the geometry of a frame too far to help one type of move.....five other moves get harder". It is true for chainstay length, BB height, headtube angle (in my opinion, headtube angle is the most ignored) etc.... . WTF frame dials the numbers to best serve the widest variety of riders, and as importantly, the widest variety of moves. If all you want to do is front wheel hooks all day..........or front wheel hops (a'la Hans Rey), this might not be the frame for you. However, if you want a frame that approaches trials as a whole sport it will be to your liking. The critical numbers are:

Wheelbase (approx. number because all forks are different. For our purposes we used a common 400mm Pulo type fork): 1080mm

Bottom Bracket Height: +15mm

Chainstay length: 380mm

Headtube angle: 72 degrees

BB shell width: 68mm

Following are questions that I anticipate will come up, so I will try and answer them:

A. How much? US$900 in North America. Obviously other locations, due to shipping and exchange rates will vary.

B. Brake mounts? Has brake mounts for both Magura HS-33s as well as 203mm (8") rotored disc brake.

C. That tan color is nasty!.... what color are they going to be? Raspberry Red. RAL color chart #3027 (link to RAL color chart: http://www.mailboxesgb.co.uk/ralcolourchart.php ). OK, so lipstick fashion entered one aspect of the frame. But what the hell, this is Ferrari not Yugo..... do you really want silver or rattle can black?!

D. When are they going to be ready? ~Christmas/New Year. Afther that, I do not know when another run might be scheduled. I can tell you that those who get one will be a very small population of people, as Frank is not going mass production.

E. Where do I get one? Crack open your wallet/checkbood and get ahold of one of these authorized dealers (subject to change/EDIT):

USA:

Webcyclery (www.webcyclery.com)

Trialsin (www.trialsin.com)

Canada:

HB Trials (www.hbtrials.com)

UK:

NSE/Trialsman (www.trialsman.co.uk)

Europe:

Bike Trial Sport (www.trialmarkt.de/)

Asia:

GoldRush (www.goldrush.jp webpage under re-construction)

F. Where is the derailleur hanger? Versitility is the name of the game. This bike can be run single speed or with gears. Should you want to go gears, standard/common type hanger will be supplied with every frame.

OK, that's enough blatant marketing for you all to absorb today. Here are some pics from protos and pre production:

post-8208-1197305777_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305789_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305807_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305813_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305823_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305831_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305840_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305846_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305856_thumb.jpg

post-8208-1197305863_thumb.jpg

so you spend 900 dollars on a hand made frame and yet the brake hose is still held on with zipties? what a rip..

You can spend £500 on a Koxx frame and not get a saddle. ;)

To Tim:

Thanks for acknowledging the hearing aid brown plea and going for a lovely raspberry red.

Just 2 questions though.

What's the weight? (just the frame)

Are you limited to running only rear 203mm rotor? (i.e not possible to run 185mm or 160mm)

To Tim:

Thanks for acknowledging the hearing aid brown plea and going for a lovely raspberry red.

Just 2 questions though.

Are you limited to running only rear 203mm rotor? (i.e not possible to run 185mm or 160mm)

yes but matt, you expect the koxx frame not to have a saddle, still has some hose guides though!

so you spend 900 dollars on a hand made frame and yet the brake hose is still held on with zipties? what a rip..

As stated, the pics were proto and preproduction.... I think we can manage some cable guides ;)

To Tim:

Just 2 questions though.

Yeah, the tan color was not too popular. No color (colour?... ha, ha, ha) will make everyone happy, however we felt more than silver/polished or something looking akin to a garage spray can paint job was required.

The disc mount was designed with Hope 8" rotor in mind. The larger the rotor the more power (more stopping leverage the further you get from the axle). Only a change of rotor size should allow you to use any existing brake that you might have.

Edited by Tim/Trialsin USA

2.15kg for a lifetime lasting frame is pretty astonishing I'd say.

In theory but the average rider changes their frame more than once every 5 years or however long a 'lifetime' is meant to imply, for different reasons other than 'it snapped' for example they fancy a change of Geo, have grown, just want something new etc etc.

So whilst you have got your frame for a couple of years it may aswell be a light one. Not that I'm some extreme weight weenie but if your buying a frame for $900 you've clearly got some spare money going around and its highly unlikely your going to be keeping the frame for 5 years + so what is the possible point of having a heavy one. Expensive frames should not be heavy just doesn't make sense in my eyes. Welcome to prove me wrong anyone.

Cheers, Phil

In theory but the average rider changes their frame more than once every 5 years or however long a 'lifetime' is meant to imply, for different reasons other than 'it snapped' for example they fancy a change of Geo, have grown, just want something new etc etc.

So whilst you have got your frame for a couple of years it may aswell be a light one. Not that I'm some extreme weight weenie but if your buying a frame for $900 you've clearly got some spare money going around and its highly unlikely your going to be keeping the frame for 5 years + so what is the possible point of having a heavy one. Expensive frames should not be heavy just doesn't make sense in my eyes. Welcome to prove me wrong anyone.

Cheers, Phil

So you can go kill the streets on it. It also seems anything un-fashion or un-heard of now is thrown away by the likes of people like you, yet if say a high levelled rider rode this frame you would soon retract them negtive comments about it. From what a friend was saying *** is the man in the know. End of the dig.

So you can go kill the streets on it. It also seems anything un-fashion or un-heard of now is thrown away by the likes of people like you, yet if say a high levelled rider rode this frame you would soon retract them negtive comments about it. From what a friend was saying *** is the man in the know. End of the dig.

I'm afraid your misstaken. I ride a Toxsin 1, just moved from a T-Rex hardly the height of trials fashion. Besides if I saw a high levelled rider riding it I would still have exactly the same opinion which I don't think is on to aire here.

Phil

I'm afraid your misstaken. I ride a Toxsin 1, just moved from a T-Rex hardly the height of trials fashion. Besides if I saw a high levelled rider riding it I would still have exactly the same opinion which I don't think is on to aire here.

Phil

Okay fair do's. In a final reply it would be considered a 'good investment'.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That new colour is actually quite nice.

I will add from previous questions though. The frame being heavy duty is likely to be easily sellable when selling on. Have you ever enquired about a Koxx frame? It's like taking the biggest gamble ever. One little dent on a Koxx frame and it totally makes you think more than twice if it's worth spending out for it. You know it's going to break. This Virus frame (likeing the graphics btw), should hold it sellable value after it's been through a few riders as it's suppost to be bomb proof. And if the tubing is harder to dent then it should keep shape and therefore keep looking good for a good while.

So how is it coated anyway? I'm not up on my spraying/ coating of paint/ powder coat but i guess he's doing it the best way?

The color in real life is awesome. It is always hard to capture paint depth and complexity in a picture.

It took a long time, but some are finally availabe. At US$850 they are not cheap, but then again you not looking at the predictable crop offerred by quantity producers. The exchange rate is definalty in your favor. Approx. 500 pound for a frame hand built by one of the best custom frame builders on the planet.

You can contact Fred/Ben Savage at NSE/Trialsman for more info. There are less than ten of this available at the moment.

Edited by Tim/Trialsin USA

• 3 weeks later...