Acoustic Of Brake Noise

aaron chase

My front is noisy as hell (plaz pads on medium grind)

My rear is even noisier (koxx browns on medium grind)

Now all the people in my town hate me for riding at about 9ish :-

But i don't care, i personally love the noise.. going to buy some rock pads for the front too..

Joe

best set-up i've ever had is my maggy with coust's in cnc backings.

In the wet it's pretty much silent, except for an amazing scrapeing sorta noise, in the dry it varies, in dusty places itll be quiet, but when riding on rock at the coast itll give a re-assuring 'honk'

My brakes always make a noise, if it isn't then somethings gone wrong. I.E. somethings been spilt on the rim/pads and now it doesn't work.

Boats, your terrible with brakes! you wont ride on a brake that works twice as good as mine!! talk about being picky! hehe

Andrew

I once sprayed WD40 on my front disc to get it to honk.....

What a stupid thing to go ! I had to buy a new disc and pads !

My back brake used to be a HS11 and with normal riding it would SCREAM so loud i used to only use my front brake !

But as soon as you start to ride trials and put it under pressure it was silent !

And Krisboats knows how harsh the grind was cos' he did it ! So harsh i cut myself putting a tyre on :D Worked well though ! (Y)

Now i run an Eisbar 33 on the back with a Smooth rim, More power, More bite, NO NOISE !!! But it looks pimp as fook !

Jarrod

I found it really amazing how brake noises can vary so much.

I remember I had my Onza T-Vee, with Evo mounted rim brakes, but they wouldn't make any squeaking noises (standard pads, smooth rim, and tar), just an audible clonking noise as they stuck to the rim and vibrated the mounting plate.

I then change rim and frame, smooth rim, no tar, standard pads, loudest noise ever.

But as I learnt from that, just because you brake makes noise, doesn't mean it works.

But I'm in love with the smooth rim (with coloured sidewalls) and Echo pads works just beast.

The one thing that sucks though is that it only takes a tiny bit of moisture or water to make it stop working. =(