Where Can I Buy A Lathe?

Pashley26

mini lathes are bitch expensive :( i was on the hunt for ages but with no luck. i picked my lathe up from a farm auction, but luckily i have lots of room and a front loader to get it in the building, it weighs a ton! i mean that literally... its a handy beast :) infact i was using it a few minutes ago to make some bushings for our jcb :)

When i last looked, ebay was plentiful, but they made decent money :( keep your eyes peeled at local auctions

Or look at Warco:-

http://www.warco.co.uk/shop.asp?catid=27&ProdId=281

This is the Mini Lathe. They do bigger stuff too. I've had no problems with my Warco lathe and it turns really well (compared to the pre-WW2 lathe I had before anyway).

Good lathes coming out of china now, they do benefit from careful assembly and a bit of fitting.

Also, is that machine in your avatar a BSA twin?

If you like your twins and if you ever get this far north, get into Nottingham Industrial museum. Five Brough Superiors. I dont think I need to elaborate :P

:o Broughs are SOOOOO tasty....I saw a few at the Nation in birmingham !

I'm into Vincents (Y) I'm named after this one ! (My full names Jarrod Vincent Mardell !!)

14vipt5.jpg

2vtpc0p.jpg

4ht9v8.jpg

These phot's were taken at the Superbike finals a Brans, Check every other bike in the car park ! We were doing donuts on the way out :D

Jarrod

Edited by Pashley26

My school have been trying to get rid off 3 for ages. They were quite small Harrison, but ran off a different power supply to the normal British home :S

They couldn't even give them away, so i think they ended up scraping them i think.

I was going to have one as i only live over the road from the school, but it wouldn't work of my power supply and they had to take all the windows out of the class to got them outside so i couldn't be arsed with the hassle lol

Edit: Ive just been on a brand new Harrison today, they feel so smooth and give give a excellent surface finish.

i made some pretty cool tpa's as well they look mint :P

Edited by TOBY-E

My school have been trying to get rid off 3 for ages. They were quite small harrisons, but ran off a different power suppply to the normal british home :S

They couldent even give them away, so i think they ended up scraping them i think.

I was going to have one as i only live over the road from the school, but it wouldent work of my power supply and they had to take all the windows out of the class to got them outside so i couldnt be arsed with the hassle lol

Sounds like they were 3-phase then. Most domestic supplies are single phase although you can get a converter. Much easier to buy a single phase lathe in the first place though.

When the vauxhall luton plant refitted their workshops for the Vectra A and B they sold a load of lathes for £7 as scrap metal! Obviously in that kind of situation staff get first dibs but if you write about to any enginering companies or colleges that are being tarted up/refitted/closing down you could get a steal.