What Good Rear Hubs Are Out Now?

trials_pimp

I think now is the time to buy myself a new rear hub.

What Decent rear hubs are out these days?

Im still running my 2002 Hope Mono Ti (that was the warrenty replacement for my 99 Hope Ti-Gluide) so im a little behind the times when it comes to hubs.

Im not interested in a Chris King, and the only Hubs I know about Are regular Hopes.

Whats a good hub for a heavy rider, that will give it alot of abuse?

The Hubs ive been looking at are the Hope Pro 2, Profile and the GU/ZOO/Adamant rear hub

All look good and Hope and Deng have a good pick up,not sure on profile, but how strong and reliable are they?

Going to be building a whole new back wheel (my Hope Mon on X-lite phatso is showing its age) so I will be lacing it up to a Echo, or Koxx rim (which ever comes reccamended)

One Thing I may also consider is building the wheel 1 side Radial, had mine built like that for years now.

Thats reasuing to hear.

A fast response all in favor of the Hope.

Are the rumors correct, should I avoid the 06 and get an 07??

Yeah its not worth the £20 or whatever saving, if it goes you'll be out of riding for a while waiting for it to be replaced, then you'll have to build it back up again etc...

Yeah dude, Pro 2 all the way, when you refer to the xoo hubs etc.. is that like the freehubs? As most of us know, steer well clear of anything Deng when it comes to freehubs, they may be revised for this year but all previous ones have been known to cause absolute chaos, they skip, crack, snap, fall apart, eat themselves, implode, everything!

Iif you are a heavy rider, i'd gp for an echo rim, they're massively strong and come in plenty of nifty coulours aswell (Y)

Matt

One Thing I may also consider is building the wheel 1 side Radial, had mine built like that for years now.

Don't. The weight you save is so minimal, it's not worth the loss in wheel life. Not to mention Hope might not replace a hub which has failed due to radial lacing.

If you wish to overlook a King then the next best thing is a Pro2 no question. Very good hubs. :)

Hope pro 2.

Pisses all over Kings.

Danny.

HAHA! Danny you make me laugh.

Avoid radial spoke lacing unless you're unbelievably light and smooth (Though since you haven't broken the last wheel and I've made shite of the same hub with XC only use, you're probably easy enough on them). Unless the data on the hub specifically says it's designed for radial lacing it isn't. Radial laced spokes have very little hub flange to support them (Tangential laced spokes pull at an angle to the radial line from the hub and therefore have a lot of extra material to support the spoke head) and hub flange failures are particularly common in Hope hubs. Three cross is about the minimum to lace them, but 4 cross is common on wheels for trials, though on most 32 hole hubs 4 cross spokes will lock in the head of the next spoke over from them, making replacing spokes a bit of a pain, but more or less completely eliminating the chance of a hub flange failure as the spokes are leaving almost at a tangent to the hub flanges.