Watersports...

NVWOCI WVS

i sooooooo want a 12ft skiff....i'm doing marine technology at uni next year (hopefully) and one of the guys who graduated last year modified a national 12 into some kindof weird 12ft skiff with a national 12 shaped waterline, aparentyl it was quite quick!

I don't get on with cats, i really hate sailing the tunnel hull boats like vortex's too, theyre so crap at tacking/in light winds!

Oh yeah, had a go in an international moth in the summer too B) that was fun!

used to windsurf, when I was a wee nipper - wasnt really... full on enough.

Since then I've kayak'ed and very very briefly water ski'd, Having ridden week in week out for the previous 8 years, since discovering kites I've ridden twice in the last 6 months.

Its all about kites now!

Got a Topper in the garden somewhere.

Used to sail Lazers weekly.

But have full RYA trainging in Hoby 16s, Tazers and a few ofther 2 man boats.

My dad used to own a Tazer aswell, but the local lake was too small and the boat was just too fast, by the time your tacked back and forth a few times, you'd be at the other end of the lake and you'd never get to see what the boat could do, so he gave it away to our cousins.

Then I started Kayaking, got pretty good, started going to small rapids + wiers and stuff. Then stopped.

Would like to get back into it all, but it's pretty hard now I'm at uni and do so much other stuff, don't really have the time...

I have my day skipper...

Done a full on blowen sailing course at murry (sp, could be morry) firth sailing school with my dad and 2 other guys and the guy in charge. Nite passages most nites force 7-9 the whole time pritty much some nights was scarry yet soooo amazing.

We have a drascome lugger for pottering about in, Often go down the north-east coast in it.

Really enjoy the powerboats too....

Meh i'm a water baby.

Edited by sidehop

Did you know...there are NO dutch elms left in Great Britain...disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

if your refering to the trees im afraid your wrong,brighton has a fair few large specimens left,mainly due to the geographical feature around the twon,secoundly due to big stickey billboards which smell like a maturing elm trees wich stick to the beetles.

also elm trees arent attacked by the beetles untill they are around 15years old because the tree starts secreting a odour that attracts the beetles.

and theres a large elm tree near stratford wich has resisted the beetles and is immune to them .

i hope you did mean the trees because i'll look like a pillock otherwise lol.

steve

Use to go wake boarding with my friend. His family had there own jet ski so had a play on that as well. The lake where they did it got shut down because the guy who run it wouldn't pay the insurance so that was the end of that.

Oh I did a sailing course a while back in a topper I think it was?

That was great fun until I got caught out by the boom thing :(

Edited by BIG Drew

I love sailing! Only in Greece though Couldnt stand being in frezzin water. Been about 6 time to Nidri! Its so dam good. and once to Croatia. I cwouldnt mind trying out surfing, and wake boarding. Mite go traveling later in life to Oz.

Greece:

lefkas200682.jpg

lefkas200694.jpg

lefkas200679.jpg

Mljet / Croatia

map.jpg

The green arrows: top one, our room was just below the arrow. The bottom one, thats were the boats were kept. I was sailing a lazer one.

Been sailing in Keswick before was too cold. Loads of wind though!!!

i used to sail about 4 years back. loved it but was way to exspensive.

Also i am a qualified Kayaking instuctor assistant, hope to take my full qualification when ever i am legaly allowed which is 18 i think. Work part time with a local insructor but pay is shit so i am only doing it untill i get a full time job. gay thing is that some places wont let you on the decent grade WW un till you are 18 either :(

you've obviously never sailed properly then. on yachts your run off your feet tightening winches, and in a dingy you've got to do about 4 or five things to change your tack it requires alot of skill to be a good sailor and your sweating huge amounts because you've got to wear clothes suitable for going in the water
I have to say that my experience of sailing never involved being too hot. You are ALWAYS cold.

Mljet / Croatia

No way! I've been there, sailing, about 6-7 years ago I think. Cool B)

We went to Greece as well the year before, both times sailing 31ft yachts. That was awesome, so nice and sunny. We would sail to a nice bay that no one can get to by foot, have a swim, sail to a tiny port and eat etc. Then my parents decided they wanted their own boat so bought a boat and they sail it around the North Sea. Which misses the point somewhat in my opinion...

No way! I've been there, sailing, about 6-7 years ago I think. Cool B)

We went to Greece as well the year before, both times sailing 31ft yachts. That was awesome, so nice and sunny. We would sail to a nice bay that no one can get to by foot, have a swim, sail to a tiny port and eat etc. Then my parents decided they wanted their own boat so bought a boat and they sail it around the North Sea. Which misses the point somewhat in my opinion...

You go with Neilson? Cant remember the year we went. you go visit dubrovnik? Is so dam nice!!

Didnt realise so many sailors were on here.

List of boats I've raced on the circut and been in the squads most boats:

Opi

Topper

Laser (full rig)

Hobie 16 Spi

Hobie 18 race

29er

The exciting boats I've sailed but never raced apart from at club level with some:

RS300

49er

Foiling Moth

18ft skiff

RS800

Hobie Carbon 20

Think thats about it of the more exciting ones. The moth, 18ft, and the carbon 20 are all f**king mental and I've never had so much fun before. Am currently trying to save for a moth, £4500 imported form Oz :D:D:D

Where do you guys usually sail? And any of you on the circuts or just club?

damn all you people with toppers lying about, I really want one just for a laugh this summer could rig some kind of spinaker or jib to it for a bit of extra go I suppose.

Tie a trapeze to the top of the mast in a 6, we did it at redwarf (excuse spelling) bay in wales. Mad.

Think thats about it of the more exciting ones. The moth, 18ft, and the carbon 20 are all f**king mental and I've never had so much fun before. Am currently trying to save for a moth, £4500 imported form Oz :D:D:D

Where do you guys usually sail? And any of you on the circuts or just club?

Theres a moth for sale at datchet, tis fluro green! :P

I sail from Thorpe Bay, im currently doing the RS500 Youth training and some of the events, Went to garda back in 06 for the Feva Worlds in my sub 50 kg days :)

Pissing about in cherubs aswell before we unleash absolute havoc on the fleet.

Do you still do the circuits?

What are you currently sailing?

Currently sail shit all as I'm at a resit college in Oxford, trying to get down to Farmoor but I'm to busy usually.

If you sail 500's you may know my sister, Alison Wearing or the likes of Jess or Bex Dawkes???

How much is the moth going for out of interest? And my home club is tamworth sailing club, usually sail at Draycote or anywhere on the coast though.

I was in garda the week before when my sis was sailing the topper worlds and I was pissing about in an 18spi.