First Cars.

Boswell

106 which I crashed not long after I passed

Ancient mk2 fiesta which is now in mongolia - drove it around a few years until my insurance got back to a level of normality - really fun car actually for going down the beach, good memories.

Fiesta Zetec which my brother now has

Now I have a seat leon 1.9 tdi fr (cheers dad!)

insurance companies are wanting about £1500 for my mini with mods declared so might have to miss some of them out, which is a bitch cause I wanted to be totally legal and because for my mum and I as a named driver they only want £300-£400 bastards

also they won't insure me if I add webbers to my car :(

Citroen Saxo 954cc extreme machine. Has cost a fortune over the years becuase it keeps breaking down/being broken into, and is slower than a tortoise with no legs. But it gets me from A to B eventually, and it also does about 400 miles to a tank, if driven conservatively. Insurance is and always will be a rip off for 17 year old lads, it was about £1300 to start with and after 3 years is still about £700. Meh. Can't wait to turn 21 and get the S3.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2

Got it when I was 20 so insurance wasn't so bad and the car got me through uni with no hitches apart from an exploding clutch slave cylinder. Exchanged that for a Honda Civic VTi which was a great machine until it got hit by a bus <_<

I now own a Mazda RX7.

Insurance is always an issue for young drivers, but the best thing you can do is stomach the cost and build up a no claims bonus. It'll soon drop to a more affordable level.

Get a 1.7D Astra. Keep the oil changes up to date and the engines last forever!

lol, did a 1.7 td one of them today, bloke bought it on 40,000 ish in 1998, its now down 93,000, today was the first oil change hes given it.

isuzu engined vaux's really are bombproof as far as the engines are concerned, just a sham metal worm is an issue on the chassis.

first cars for me were a suzuki swift 1.3 gls, and a pug 306 1.4,

provisinal quotes are the same as if you have a full licence.

is the resale price of your car going to be ower because i pulled your arial off rob?

like i said i will pay for it to be fixxed :P

Im afraid not. my quote for a full license once i passed was double the quote of a provisional.

Try herts insurance if you have modified your car, they are quite helpful.

My first car was a 2001 ford ka, bit girly but the handling was much better than other cars I would've been able to insure and it had no major mechanical troubles. I now drive a 1993 toyota starlet turbo which is loads of fun and very reliable.

I recommend you get someting sensible as a first car to build no claims and prevent you having too much power at your hands. Then save up for a faster/newer/flasher car and you'll appreciate it much more :)

Try not to go on your parents insurance claiming to be a second driver when it is in fact your car. It may be cheaper but its illegal and insurers are clamping down on this. I doubt you'll find a quote of less than £1300 third party for your first car on your own insurance.

Edited by huge

mine with CIS stayed the same?

same with norwich union direct, i took out my policy the day before my first test, failed, and didnt get a retest for 2 months. after i passed, i rang them up, said i passed, the women said well done, drive safe, you will be insured as a full license holder from 3pm(was about 2.35 at the time), bye.

Dont get any thing below a 1.4, and try not to pay over a grand for it, dont get anything over 100k and dont get anything too old unless its a golf or a mini :- you'll get bored of it pretty quickly.

Get a small hatchback like a polo, 106, saxo, fiesta zetec or something.