Adventurists Africa Rally

ctc_666

Will We Make It To Cameroon?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will We Make It To Cameroon?

• Yes
    • No

We are Team Supernovas. Arron Rogers (Todge), Si Doyle (carryingwolf), myself and Adrian Oakley.

With no real route, were goin to drive round the Nurburg-ring, onto a massive party in Prague, through Spain and and get a Ferry to Morocco. Next we will drive through the Western (bandit filled) Sahara, across minefields and then across the rest of North-West Africa to Cameroon. this is untried, untested and in the organizers words "the most dangerous rally ever"

All this to be done, in our trusty 1 Litre Vauxhall Nova. Fully loaded, few spares and little mechanical knowledge. Still think we will make it?

Go to this website to vote for Real, with a donation to charity http://www.willwemakeit.com/supernovas

please make a real vote or donation on here, we are raiding £1000 for charity, going to Sustainable farming and water filters for Africa.

I shall be filming the entire trip and making videos afterwards as a way of rewarding those who donate.

read more about it here http://africarally.theadventurists.com/index.php,

http://www.sendacow.org.uk/default.asp? Send a cow, what it sais on the tin and much more. making farms in india and africa, teaching the locals how to farm and giving them trade and food.

http://www.frankwater.com/ making water filters in Ghana with our charity fund-raising

These charities provide the basis of life, there is no better cause.

Please give generously.

post-441-1207924076.jpg

Edited by ctc_666

Dude thats awsome.

Sounds like it will be such an adventure.

Allways wanted to do something like this myself. Want to try and get in on the Mongol Rally.

Hope all goes well for you, though personaly I wouldnt use a Nova.

My Choise would be a morris Minor, of Old Fiesta. Shearly for relaibility and simplisity.

Would be very carefull going to Africa, specialy at the moment, steer well clear of Kenya. Mind you its all prety dangerous.

Just make sure you have a means to defned yourself should you need it.

Most of all, Enjoy it

I'm jealous. Did the mongolrally (same organisers) a few years back in a 25 year old fiesta.

I reckon you'll make it. We had pretty much no troubles with ours, apart from overheating in the middle of the desert, causing all the water to boil out of the engine and having to refill it with our drinking water. And the starter motor breaking.

Not sure how allows perform when they get dented (do they just snap or bend) but either way you might want to use some steel rims. When they inevitably get bashed in there WILL (somehow?even though you're in the middle of nowhere) be a man close by with a hammer to put them back into shape. Oh yeah, make sure you take a hammer, and a cross head screwdriver >_<

Gotta be bling with the rims :) we have 5 spare steel rims aswell, sowe'll be able to change them anyawy.

we were looking at a minor traveller, but the only way to buy them is to get a wreck, and we cant refurb a car in 2 months. so yea, its 4 of us in a nova.

origionally i signed up to the mongol rally, but when places filled up, they sent an email about pioneering this new one, had to take it. trouble is, no ones heard about it yet, so can you asll spread the word :) (link to http://www.willwemakeit.com/supernovas)

Thanks for the support, alot of people think we will make it :)

Cheers for the interest guys. its going to be a tight ride with all the stuff, well be right on the weight limit.

when we get back or can find an african computer, well be putting heap loads of media onto the internet, so start giving, this is the only way we can repay you, but we will. I will be taking photos, and jonny will be filming most of the trip.

Good to hear you made it all the way to mongolia Tomm, heard when you went, but not about the outcome.

http://www.willwemakeit.com/supernovas have a look on this website, vote if you can afford it. (its only £1.20, who can't afford that?

HaHa, nope, no car checks yet, apart from the fact it starts.

i know it needs a head-unit and speakers though, about as far as it goes.

more realisticly, we will be doing a bit of an A-team immotation when arron gets back down. just guarding up the sum,p and fuel guards, apart form that everything..."should"...be fine..

donate,,,please

Maybe take 2 Nova's...Spread the load between them.

It's a good idea, does this sort of thing happen annually? I'd be interested in tagging along next year. Anything for a good cause :P T-F convoy :D

Yep, seems to be a few people who arrange them now. We met a few other completely different rallys going the other way from us (mongolia to germany) - but they were doing it in 4X4's, fully stickered up with 100" travel and offroad tyres and whatnot. Our cars put them to shame :P

Get on theadventurists mailing list. You'll be lucky to get on the mongolrally I imagine, I think last time the first hundred tickets sold in 8 seconds, and the second lot of 100 sold in 13. Something like that anyway.

You could go on the African one, but you would have to be absolutely nuts. :P

Theres also a rickshaw run, where you fly to india, when you get there you have to buy a rickshaw (one of those trike motorbike things with a canopy over it) and race from the top of india to the bottom.

And another one across some cold place.

Does it have to be?

I suppose it depends on the conditions for each rally?

I think these events are great. I will definitely be getting onto one within the next 2/3 years. Is there a record for fastest time to circumnavigate the globe in a car?

Yeah theadventurists encourage using a 'crap' car, one of the rules is it has to be under a litre. The most suitable vehicle is probably a 1litre Suzuki SJ 4x4, still unsuitable for the task, but in the grand scheme of things its taking the easy option :P

I'll donate some cash as soon as I have some!

I've had a look around there webiste. You guys are awesome. That trip is going to be mental. So much so that I've joined the mailing list, and inquired about getting onto the rally, next year though.

If you guys want, I have some contacts in a company who are designing and building power units, mainly hydrogen at the moment, one thing they do deal with is alternative power. I know that's not to relevant to your drive, but it's one thing some of these places could benefit from. I'll have a word and see what happens, then try and explain it a little more :P

mate, thats actually really usefull. its good to get any support, and give advertisment to everyone, who deserves it.

on the same note, check these guys out. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=43427710

godfather helped us out with thier awesome gig and crowd

besides...we need it for a spare battery/charging cameras. :P

dont rely too much on the mailing list though. got alot happening, all over the internet, so heaps to do.

if anyone can give us a proper donation, it will be amazingly appreciated, go again over to http://www.willwemakeit.com/supernovas check us out.

this is for real, and we really need £1000, all for food and water out in africa.

dont hesitate to contact me either. drop an email, or add me on msn

the_dude_si@hotmail.com I will be happy to chat.

just read the rest, yea, has to be 1000cc, yet they can make anything...just slightly slower.

aslong as its the adventurists, its 1000cc, and a whole heap of fun. with no backup, advice of common sense.

mongol rally is lucky to get onto, 300 teams were sold within one day, thats why im on the africa rally, no places left. Defiantely good to get onto pioneering this rally.

there are still places left (far as i know) for Africa Rally - no one wants to do this, its rediculously dangerous.

we have teamed up with another Nova, should be good share spares, crap petrol etc.

Tom, sounds like an amazing story, beasting the Landys, we are all going for the same reason. ADVENTURE!

oh, did you make it?

another option would be a Panda 4x4 1000cc and light, which helps in the muddy stuff...

Smart car would be amazing on the rally, apart from the fact the boot can only fit a thimble inside. best way for those ugly cars to go - anywhere far, far away.

we are in the process of finding people to email, thing is sponsors need to be real products, things that will help us and the world, i dont like advertising tripe.

although, everylittle helps, so we are sending sponsor emails to almost everyone we can think of, that has really nice stuff :P

as for fundraising, its better to come from the people, as it is all going to real people in the end.