Does Anybody Else Run Gears

pogo

I think I read on wikipedia or something that originally stock trials bikes were just stock mountain bikes. I'm pretty sure some of them had a few lower gear settings. When I get a more specificly trials bike I'm going to make sure it can have two things... a seat and a couple of gears. So to answer your question more directly, I thik some have gears but many do not.

Apparently, ages ago in a trials comp, a stock had to have at least 8 gears to compete :blink:

I run gears. I have an 8 speed roadie cassette on the back of my mbk. I like to play around with gears, maybe using 18:14 on bigger stuff and 18:15 or 16 on easier stuff when I prefer a bit more control. The fact I have a 12 on the cassette also means I can vaguely keep up when I go out with people who ride bikes other than trials too. I keep contemplating going single, as my gear indexing sucks donkey bollocks, but the fact is I like the options.

Apparently, ages ago in a trials comp, a stock had to have at least 8 gears to compete :blink:

It was 6 working gears and the rule was only got rid of not long ago (might still exist in BIU but no one rides that any more :P) I remember seeing casettes with all the cogs that didn't get used being aluminium just so that they were there when they had to check they all worked and the one riding gear was a std steel one.

Adam

Even years ago when i had functional gears i just tied my derailier to the frame and kept it in one gear. Problem with gears is the chain is always jumping about with the derailier. It makes a hell of a sound with no padding! Also with gears you need to run a 3/32" chain which tends to be weaker than the usual 1/8" bmx style chains mostly used these days. However the KMC Kool is available in both sizes. So not to bad i guess.

And Ben Rowlands rides gears still and he's pretty sick on a bike.

Yeh but i snaped my hanger so now im in single speed. What gears do u ride at

it's a 8 speed 19-12 with a 24 front sprocket, goes well quick compared to these slow single speeders :P

only problems i've had with it are that the rear cogs are digging into the driveshell because they're too narrow so i'm contemplating getting a steel shell with an echo 7 speed but i can't find the cassette on tarty

an echo 7 speed but i can't find the cassette on tarty

is select bikes as good as tarty?

i always liked gears. however when got my singlespeed bike its soo much better. none of those crappy rear mechs and gear changers. i d say its a waste of weight to have gears.

I use to run gears on me echo pure heres the set up i had:

6speed pro2 trial hub

8 speed sram shifter

9 speed shimano tiagra mech

+

A bit of tweeking = 6 running gears

But ive now gone single speed saving a shed load of weight.

well im on a 20:18 ratio and that still gets me around.

Erm if im right about 1000g or more you save as i have upgraded to a 74 kings tensioner but ill be putting some trialtech carbon spacers just to make it a tad lighter.

i used to run gears on my phase and they were chronic!!! i had to shortened my chain to keep my guide wheels out the way on my rear mech and i have left it in a 22:18 ratio.i would say single speed all the way

i'm gonna get a whole new wheel specifically set up for a singlespeed trials bike

id say that gear have alot to offer in trials , when most people talk about gears they think of them as a hinderance but the fact is that gears can help you alot for certain moves when you may require more speed or smaller pedal strokes . i ran gears a year ago on my stock and i loves it and because i was using front freewheel my gear would change as i rolled and as for skipping a gear will not skip if correctly setup .

I have beem riding with gears on my t rex for two years.But recently changed to a ck single speed setup and its great.Better ballance better pop and more confidence.However i did learn trials with gears so either way mate just have fun . :rolleyes::rolleyes: