Hard Time Pulling Up The Handle Bars!

Hello there, I'm having a hard time pulling up my handle bars. It's very hard to pull up for bunny hops, manuals and stuff!

I think I need a more angled stem. A higher one?

Does anybody here encountered the same problem? Have you somehow learned how to do it later or have something changed in your setup?

In some of the videos here, I can see you guys pulling your bars without a sweat.

Please help.

Trials bike have longer frame and stem.

A lot of body weight is thrown on the front just standing on the pedals, having your hands on the handlebar.

You need to do a manual-like body motion to throw weight to the back wheel. It will feel like in slow motion(especially for bunnyhops). Takes longer for body weight to be transferred on longer geometry!

You can preload by pushing on your handlebar at first! Spread the knees a little more for manuals!!

Hope it helps!!

• Like 1

Trials bike have longer frame and stem.

A lot of body weight is thrown on the front just standing on the pedals, having your hands on the handlebar.

You need to do a manual-like body motion to throw weight to the back wheel.

Yep, most important thing is to shift your weight back.

When I switched from street to trials, everytime I bunnyhop, I would always end up landing the front wheel first, which creeps me out because many times I almost flew over the bar! I kept forgeting that I have a longer stem, a rather a very long stem.

Alternately, you could do a pedal up. This move purely rely on the drivetrain.

You go into starting position, back-foot forward, give the cranks a 3/4 turn to raise the front wheel, and then pull up on the rear wheel and level out. When done correctly, it should feel like a bunnyhop.

For manuals, the part I found that has helped me the most so far is consciously thinking about sticking my butt out. Lean forward over the bars with all your weight, throw it backwards by pulling slightly on the handlebars and attempting to stick your butt out over the rear tire. You'll probably notice the front comes up for a brief moment. This is the right idea. Do it again. Throw your weight more. Try not to be afraid (says the guy who doesn't lean much) if you feel like you're going over the back, either feather or really pull down on your rear brake, the front will then come back down.

For bunnyhops. Its a weird technique. I've read and watched so many videos now that its not even funny. I'm far from perfect but my technique gets better every day. I've been trying to think of this move in 3 stages really. I hope this helps. I found that the way I explain it to myself in my head make more sense than the other instructionals out there. So here goes...

1) Compression / Preparation

At a somewhat slow pace (you really dont need to be going fast at all for this move) lean all your weight over your handlebars and crouch like you're getting ready to start a sprinting race. You want to lean over the handlebars because the more weight on the frontwheel in the beginning, the more weight and power you will then be shifting off of the front wheel. Basicly, more power = easier to lift front wheel.

2) Take Off

This is the part that confused the hell out of me. All these guides say put pressure on the rear tire or extended your legs. It was very very misleading if you ask me. Try this

First thing you do is start to shift your weight from over top the handlebars to a little bit past vertical and slightly overtop the seat. This part is kinda like doing a manual (above) but you dont stick your butt out. As your body comes to about vertical (crouching straight up and down) pull the handlebars backwards towards your chest and literally jump. I dont mean straighten your legs. I mean jump. Jump like you mean it. Keep in mind though! As you jump your body will want to become completely vertical or even lean forward over the handlebars. Be conscious of this, don't let your body do it! I actually think about jumping on a slight angle backwards. It helps me remember that after I pull the handle bars and jump that I still need weight shifted backwards.

Why? You do this because the more you've leaned backwards, the higher you can potentially get your front wheel up. The higher the front wheel gets up, the higher you can possibly hop.

3) Leveling Out / Landing

At this point your front wheel should be a solid half foot above the ground and your rear wheel will be about an inch or two off the ground. If you jumped hard enough and pulled hard enough in the last step, you should have been able to lift the bike off the ground momentarily. Congratulations, you've just done a bunnyhop. More or less. If you dont try to level out here, it'll be practicing landing on your rear wheel first. Technically this is better technique but you can get better height and clearance if you now try to level out.

To level out, after you've pulled the front wheel up, jumped and the bike is an inch or two off the ground, do this. Pull your knees towards your chest after the jump. Ever played a first person shooter and people jump and then crouch in mid air? That's what you're doing with your feet here. Remember, try to keep your weight back as much as possible. Now, I was out riding yesterday and I realized that most tutorials sort of stop here or tell the rider to push the handlebars forward to help level out. Thats nice and all but you'll land flat and I think that you abandon some of your possible height by doing this right away. I saw a video on www.trashzen.com in the video, after the bike was off the ground, the rider pulled his feet upwards (like described above) but also pulled directly up with the handlebars. If you just level with your feet, you will likely over level and nose dive. Pushing the arms forward works for some people, but I don't like it yet. Maybe in time, I'm still learning.

So, to sum all this up

1) Crouch and lean weight over top handlebars. Prepare to jump

2) Lean weight backwards (a little past your seat), jump up and pull handlebars to chest

3) After rear tire has left the ground, continue to lean back slightly, raise feet to chest and pull directly up on handle bars. You can now push the handlebars forward if you like to land flat or leave out this step to land rear wheel>front wheel

If you can describe this better than I have, please correct me. This is how I'm practicing now and I am very new still. I'm sure the first thing someone will say is "why are you pulling up on the handlebars" Look in the bunnyhop section of trashzen. See that pic of the guy damn near clearing 4 feet straight up and down on his bike? I do this because it will help raise both the front and rear tire at the same time and keep that shape of the front wheel in the air and landing on the rear first.

As for your stem. I've thought the same but your pic is of a real trials bike. Mine is a bit of a tank for this kind of riding. I can safely assume I'm carrying an extra 5-10lbs more than any of the other riders here on their bikes. I have gears, shocks, dual discs, a beefier frame and a seat. This will work man. I'd say practice the manual one first. It's a little ackward, but try doing it with one finger on the brake. Now just give 'er man. Lean forward and pull your handlebars like you're trying to fall on your back. If you get too high, feather the brake or push the bike away from you and land on your feet. Try this on grass dude, you will probably throw your weight more knowing if you fall its on grass/dirt rather than concrete. I'm at about the same spot as you man, I know what I need to do but I lack the confidence going backwards or over the handlebars.

I hope this helped. PM me if there is anything else I can help with. Ride or Die dude!

For manuals, the part I found that has helped me the most so far is consciously thinking about sticking my butt out. Lean forward over the bars with all your weight, throw it backwards by pulling slightly on the handlebars and attempting to stick your butt out over the rear tire. You'll probably notice the front comes up for a brief moment. This is the right idea. Do it again. Throw your weight more. Try not to be afraid (says the guy who doesn't lean much) if you feel like you're going over the back, either feather or really pull down on your rear brake, the front will then come back down.

For bunnyhops. Its a weird technique. I've read and watched so many videos now that its not even funny. I'm far from perfect but my technique gets better every day. I've been trying to think of this move in 3 stages really. I hope this helps. I found that the way I explain it to myself in my head make more sense than the other instructionals out there. So here goes...

1) Compression / Preparation

At a somewhat slow pace (you really dont need to be going fast at all for this move) lean all your weight over your handlebars and crouch like you're getting ready to start a sprinting race. You want to lean over the handlebars because the more weight on the frontwheel in the beginning, the more weight and power you will then be shifting off of the front wheel. Basicly, more power = easier to lift front wheel.

2) Take Off

This is the part that confused the hell out of me. All these guides say put pressure on the rear tire or extended your legs. It was very very misleading if you ask me. Try this

First thing you do is start to shift your weight from over top the handlebars to a little bit past vertical and slightly overtop the seat. This part is kinda like doing a manual (above) but you dont stick your butt out. As your body comes to about vertical (crouching straight up and down) pull the handlebars backwards towards your chest and literally jump. I dont mean straighten your legs. I mean jump. Jump like you mean it. Keep in mind though! As you jump your body will want to become completely vertical or even lean forward over the handlebars. Be conscious of this, don't let your body do it! I actually think about jumping on a slight angle backwards. It helps me remember that after I pull the handle bars and jump that I still need weight shifted backwards.

Why? You do this because the more you've leaned backwards, the higher you can potentially get your front wheel up. The higher the front wheel gets up, the higher you can possibly hop.

3) Leveling Out / Landing

At this point your front wheel should be a solid half foot above the ground and your rear wheel will be about an inch or two off the ground. If you jumped hard enough and pulled hard enough in the last step, you should have been able to lift the bike off the ground momentarily. Congratulations, you've just done a bunnyhop. More or less. If you dont try to level out here, it'll be practicing landing on your rear wheel first. Technically this is better technique but you can get better height and clearance if you now try to level out.

To level out, after you've pulled the front wheel up, jumped and the bike is an inch or two off the ground, do this. Pull your knees towards your chest after the jump. Ever played a first person shooter and people jump and then crouch in mid air? That's what you're doing with your feet here. Remember, try to keep your weight back as much as possible. Now, I was out riding yesterday and I realized that most tutorials sort of stop here or tell the rider to push the handlebars forward to help level out. Thats nice and all but you'll land flat and I think that you abandon some of your possible height by doing this right away. I saw a video on www.trashzen.com in the video, after the bike was off the ground, the rider pulled his feet upwards (like described above) but also pulled directly up with the handlebars. If you just level with your feet, you will likely over level and nose dive. Pushing the arms forward works for some people, but I don't like it yet. Maybe in time, I'm still learning.

So, to sum all this up

1) Crouch and lean weight over top handlebars. Prepare to jump

2) Lean weight backwards (a little past your seat), jump up and pull handlebars to chest

3) After rear tire has left the ground, continue to lean back slightly, raise feet to chest and pull directly up on handle bars. You can now push the handlebars forward if you like to land flat or leave out this step to land rear wheel>front wheel

If you can describe this better than I have, please correct me. This is how I'm practicing now and I am very new still. I'm sure the first thing someone will say is "why are you pulling up on the handlebars" Look in the bunnyhop section of trashzen. See that pic of the guy damn near clearing 4 feet straight up and down on his bike? I do this because it will help raise both the front and rear tire at the same time and keep that shape of the front wheel in the air and landing on the rear first.

As for your stem. I've thought the same but your pic is of a real trials bike. Mine is a bit of a tank for this kind of riding. I can safely assume I'm carrying an extra 5-10lbs more than any of the other riders here on their bikes. I have gears, shocks, dual discs, a beefier frame and a seat. This will work man. I'd say practice the manual one first. It's a little ackward, but try doing it with one finger on the brake. Now just give 'er man. Lean forward and pull your handlebars like you're trying to fall on your back. If you get too high, feather the brake or push the bike away from you and land on your feet. Try this on grass dude, you will probably throw your weight more knowing if you fall its on grass/dirt rather than concrete. I'm at about the same spot as you man, I know what I need to do but I lack the confidence going backwards or over the handlebars.

I hope this helped. PM me if there is anything else I can help with. Ride or Die dude!

wow :o one of the best posts i've seen on tf i reckon.

back to the topic,i have been riding a pretty hefty simtra trials bike,and when i was running high rise bars i could bunnyhop fairly high,but recently i fitted flat bars which has made me crap at bunnyhops but trialsy moves felt better .i suppose i will comprimise by buying bars that have less rise than me previous bars so that i get the best of both worlds.

steve

Thanks guys, well to sum it up I think that almost everyone had their time lifting the front end up. I can do these moves back on my Fuji XC bike but now, everything seems to be back from square one. My arms even hurts practicing these moves.

Anyway, thanks a bunch guys knowing that this thing is normal. I'll practice more and hope very soon I can do these moves again.

Now, practice.