Filing Rims

Bearded Midget

just asking for some advice from people who have done this.

what size file did you use to file your rims to sqaures/rectangles?

also, have any of you cracked them in the corners yet?

im mainly a natural/comp rider so i dont bash my bike up on the street much so im hoping they will last me at least half a year.

did any of you find out how much weight you saved?

cheerz,

Reece

Edited by Bearded Midget

It would be far better to machine them out with a dremel and some carbide cutters/burrs, will take the material out faster and allow you to easily leave rounded corners rather that square ones which will just propogate cracks :)

im mainly a natural/comp rider so i dont bash my bike up on the street much so im hoping they will last me at least half a year.

I've not heard of many of the squared out rims failing due to cracking, but obviously that's not to say it hasn't happened by a long shot. However, if you're a fairly smooth natural/comp rider then for a fairly normal rim (not DOB etc) they should last you six months fairly easily

Is that all you honestly expect from a rim? I always expect them to last longer than that, but maybe it's because I'm too cheap to keep buying kit :P

i was gonna do this reece but couldnt be bothered in the end, I think Inur said it only saves around 50g per wheel

might just drill them like you did then al. wouldnt take half as long, and would still save a little bit of weight.

i did my tyres today, took off every other tread around the outside of the tyres. saved 80grams

It depends what rims you do it on to how long they will last really and also how big you do them. If you do it on a echo rim youll be fine. I wouldnt do it on a DOB rim. On a tryall i wouldn't go to big with the squares just abit biiger than the circle. If your doing it with a file use a jigsaw to make a ruff square first.

Weight saving freaks.

Its a matter of grams what's the point?

If maybe all the little weight saving changes from a 10kg bike, to get it to 9kg, but structurely it was fine then it might be worth it.

But for the sake of 500g and a weaker bike its hardly worth it.

Ahh but thanks to physics - rotating weight becomes more important... ie - save 50 grams on your rear wheel >>> saving 50grams on your frame.

Hey Reece I filed my rim took me f**king ages about 15-20 min for each when your used to it.

I used a big file and a smaller one.

It isn't hard to keep them to same just go out to the side of each circles.

Saves a bit of weight and looks good.

Anyway got you some pics:

img2175rb0.th.jpg

img2186hu1.th.jpg

img2174sz9.th.jpg

I done this a year or so back......only on the front mind you.......like ash said a file that will fit.(Y) its seriously hard work and my hands hurt and cramped for a day or two....light as hell and lasted me ummm 8 months or somthing......i only expect rear rim to last no longer than 6 months

But good luck and post up some pics when they are finished

Dave x

ohhh yeah most hardwear stores will have all sizes of files

Weight saving freaks.

Its a matter of grams what's the point?

If maybe all the little weight saving changes from a 10kg bike, to get it to 9kg, but structurely it was fine then it might be worth it.

But for the sake of 500g and a weaker bike its hardly worth it.

But it all starts to add up these 20grams here and there and then eventually you can feel the difference and if your a comp rider then its make a hell of a difference. You can be an amzing rider but if you get knackered in a section you cant use your talent to its full as your knackered. If your bike is lighter then throughing it around for 2minutes striaght becomes alot easier and means you dont get tired so easily and allows you rider to your best.

Go for it, thinking of doing mine soon.

Don't bother drilling though, Muel did like 100 holes in his front rim and saved an amazing 24g's.

Actually, it was 168 holes and 18g. Took about 2 hours/the piss.

Used a file and a hacksaw.

Holes are 30mm wide and 25mm long. The rim is a BT (same as TryAll but eyeleted).

It saved about 75g on the rear rim.

This will weaken your rims a lot. But if you're a smooth rider it doesn't matter.

i ride natty and comps mostly, and im not a very heavy rider.

so im not too worried about the strenght.

cheerz for the input guys