New Front Wheel

AdamR28

Grippy as semen though?

Although the semen reference was slightly muddled, they are in fact grippy. That model's the 'dirt' version, compared to this, the 'street' version:

khePremiumTyre.jpg

The 'park' version (Same tread pattern, slightly thinner sidewall) weighs 298g for the 1.9" one. The 'street' version weighs 354g for the 1.9".

I got this:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/bicycle/bmx...tn_subPoint=BMX

The 2.0 version that came to me is 360g. And it has a less slick tread I think. 1119g full front wheel, including inner tube and skewer.

I doubt Dob mag rims would be capable of taking titanium spokes. I heard that you need more tension to get the same wheel stiffness as in the case of steel spokes. Steel spokes tension already pulls nipples through Dobs.

Edited by Zordon

Don't want some crappy BMX tyre as grip is important IMO.

:wink2:

also, is that wheel just laced or has it been tightened? because if its not then after tightening, you could cut the ends off too

It's just laced, the spokes are the right length, don't need cutting down as Rob so eloquently mentioned, haha.

20'' though yea?

Of course :P

Hey Adam, could you specify the weights of the rim and spokes separately? Would like to see, where I can save some more grams. My new front wheel is Dob (335g) + Dt Champion spokes (152g) + Dartmoor alu nipples (10g) + Chosen hub (80g)=577g. I thought it was already a superlight wheel. Apparently I was wrong :)

Sure... the rim is 285g, hub 103g, nipples 8g and spokes 133g. The rim is pretty crazy light, I was very suprised when I weighed it...

That's pretty light, not sure what my front wheel is, shouldn't be too much more. Dob rim 318g, Neon hub 150g, and standard Mutiny spokes/nipples. Around 600g's full weight I'm thinking?

My old front wheel was very similar to that, except the front hub was 8g lighter and the spoke nipples approx 20g less (alloy), it's 633g with rim tape (4g). So yep... yours is damn light too!

I bet that set-up isn't lighter than the same hub with 28h Dob rim, ti spokes on non-drive/disc side.

I reckon it is, there is a hefty weight saving in the rim (and a 28h DOB will have 4 less holes drilled in it) plus ti spokes don't really save much (and won't last long).

Might get a pic of the full bike today too... and re-weigh it :D haha.

Cheers

Ads

I reckon it is, there is a hefty weight saving in the rim (and a 28h DOB will have 4 less holes drilled in it) plus ti spokes don't really save much (and won't last long).

TI are definately not worth the hassle, they seem to be more brittle to me. When I get a real job I've promised myself some new wheels, I think the front will have to be a carbon copy of this beast!

• 3 weeks later...
Ad, you still using Dob forks? If so, how you finding them?

Oops, sorry, missed this... forks are perfect so far, no problems at all. Giving them a good bashing too as you can see in the front wheel gaps in the pictures from Saturday!

When are these rims gonna be on sale to the general public Ad?

I'm not 100% sure - when we order from Monty, they just send the latest stuff they have in stock (usually). So, I think next time we need more 20" front white rims they will be this type, but can't guarantee it!

Wow, what rear wheel are you using? Im guessing with the Monty Kamel rim and a try all H hub it could be nearly as light?

DOB/Try-All... however the rim has died so I am currently modifying something :shifty:

The Kamel rear rim isn't that light, ~500g.

I think you would be better off with a stronger rim and Ti spokes. Ti spokes that aren't Monty ones that is. A few people have said it's not worth it but i think if your going to worry about anything then DOB forks and skinny/ thin rims aren't exactly the right way forward. It seems everyone who has Monty Ti wheels has spokes missing. But who i've spoken to about Ti spokes on a bmx said they're worth it. Plus i've had no problems with mine either. So it might seem the Monty Ti spokes are of a lower quality but higher price?

But yeah a rear trial wheel probably isn't worth using Ti spokes on for obvious reasons and possibly not a disc front wheel with overkill brake. So i guess that counts you out then :P

But you should really get on Dave's back about the double butted spokes in smaller sizes ;)