Accidents

Chandler

Ok, I seem to pick up a different injury every weekend. First I came off a wall and I let the front wheel drop somehow, then landed groin on frame.

So painfull, but didnt get my balls luckily. Since then Ive been wary about drops, and Ill only pedal up flat blocks, and not walls :(

I had a foot slip off the pedals trying to kick up stuff and the pedal came round and smashed into my knee. I always wear shin pads and knee pads now. But now when I kick up stuff and bail, the pedals always smack me in the back of the legs and ankles :angry: (any ideas how to protect back of legs?)

I think the first one is most common.........how many of you have done that one!?

What typical injuries have you had and can give any advice how to avoid!? Anybody wear custom/home made protective gear?

My main tip would be - dont try stuff thats too big, always work up to it gradually!

Edited by Chandler

yes i have done the pedal in the knee thing many time. it hurts so much. i cannot think of a way to protect the back of your legs, but will a shinpad on backwards work?

it may make it very hard to move your legs though lol

Theres no real product on the market that protects the bag of your legs. And im preety sure no-one has home made armour. Thing is you dont want to be to hung up over crashing all the time. Useually just from experiance you can tell when and probaly how your going to crash. Its just a case of getting away from all the stuff thats gonna hurt you more. I.E getting as far away from your big and the wall or rock as possible

Another thing like said above is lern to bail. Slopestyle riders try to spread themselfs out so a serious injury is sustainted(sp) in one place. Instead its a few minor injurys over different parts of your body

Hope that helped!

Done them all. I had some nasty mess-ups today lol i hoped on to a rail the i do every day and the brakes sliped i ended up on my head then the bike followed, i also tryed to urban to a bench and yeh fell to short and smashed my legs.

Its hard to try avoid accidents they just happen. All i can say really is get away from the bike when you fall lol. It does hurt when you land on it. So just try get away from it .

i've been riding bikes for years, it comes with riding, especially the shins thing.

Recently bashed them abit more because of getting into trials and having no seat,

so i can see where you're coming from (Y)

Good pedals are a must,

but you don't want them too grippy or else you won't be able to get off them when you want to!

My old knackered dmr v8's are great, and ive never changed the studs.

i had my first proper shin dig about a week or two back and i just washed it off. After that i just got back on the bike and focused on my riding. that way your mind is taken off the injury and hey presto. also i cut the back of my leg quite badly and just kept on riding.

EDIT: In other words, just get up and ride live with the pain. Pain is ur friend.

Woah that sounds dodgy reading it.

Edited by Jonesy. i'm hungry......

Ok, learning how to bail sounds sensible, and getting away from the bike (Y)

But I was hoping there would be some warnings about particular dangerous moves - rail hopping, front hopping etc

I am learning from my mistakes, but thought it might be an idea for us to learn from each others!?

I am in complete disagreement with "its a way of life" and "get on with it" etc....

For example, if you have cut your shins once, ull realise shinpads is a must! otherwise ur asking for a really bad injury, just look at the "nasty bail" topic on here!

Edited by Chandler

I'd say protective gear (helmet, shinpads maybe elbow pads if you feel it neccisary) but also to gradually increase the height/difficulty of your moves. Take your time doing things like gaps and rails. They look super scary! Have fun with it man, I think the last thing you should be thinking when riding is "this line scares me"

i find that if you try and throw yourself as far away from the bike as you can and then try to take the impact on your forearm before rolling onto your shoulder and then your back you wont get hurt as bad. there is actually a technique to crashing!!

One thing i have learnt when trying big moves on rocks & stuff is always

look were you are going to land your feet if bailing backwards,

before you try the move!

word (Y) Or I tend to look as soon as I know im gna bail, and figure my way out in a second or two

Edited by PaRtZ

I did the frame in the groin. split my urethra and was pi#'ing blood for two weeks, had to pee out of a tube for another 3.

keep in your within your skill level and remember

your body will heal!!!

you bike won't!!!!!!!

check out on you tube

aaron5410 riding gloucester/bristol

i find that if you try and throw yourself as far away from the bike as you can and then try to take the impact on your forearm before rolling onto your shoulder and then your back you wont get hurt as bad. there is actually a technique to crashing!!

You're describing a makeshift recovery roll. What you want to do is actually take the initial impact on your hands, carry that momentum then onto your forearm, then to your shoulder, tuck your head in and roll out of the move. A good recovery roll can pretty much make a fall effortless and painless. Oh, and never ever ever ever ever roll directly over your back. Very bad for your spine, not fluid and just plain ol' stupid. Draw a line from one shoulder to your opposite hip or ass cheeck, thats where you want the roll to take place.

EDIT:

If you cannot make a proper recovery roll, then perform a break fall. We learned these pretty hardcore in Judo because well... Judo basicly is getting your ass thrown around for an hour a night. So what you do is if you're gunna land on your back or side or something and cant make a good landing, slap the ground as hard as you can with your hand. Don't just place the hand beside you, stretch your arm out (the arm closest to the side you're going to impact on) and slap the ground. I know it sounds ridiculous. Trust me on this. The inital impact is absorbed by your hand (yes, this stings the hand like hell) and then goes up the arm and into the rest of your body or whatever his the ground next. You don't have to believe me but get this, in Judo you win by throwing your opponent as flat on his back as possible to score a winning point. We sparred every day, we practice throwing each other every day. I was easily thrown 50+ every day. I was also not very good at this sport and often challenged the higher belts to try to pick up some of their good habits. So yeah... 50+ throws a day and I could walk around without a problem later that day and the next day. It works.

Edited by Sabiot

Yeah falling advice is good, although sometimes you cant really avoid catching urself on ur bike frame etc.

Im generally ok at falling from football, rugby etc but I could see how break falls help

Aaron...the groin thing sounds really nasty, when I did it I bruised and Im sure I had stinging pee for a few days :(

Watched the vids, good mix of skills there. Arent u tempted to put some sort of foam on top of the frame or something now? Hmmm. I noticed u dont wear shin pads or a helmet too.

Remember, ur bike can be replaced - you cant!

Edited by Chandler

I had a foot slip off the pedals trying to kick up stuff and the pedal came round and smashed into my knee. I always wear shin pads and knee pads now. But now when I kick up stuff and bail, the pedals always smack me in the back of the legs and ankles :angry:(any ideas how to protect back of legs?)

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10438 (Y)