Does Using A Brake Booster Improve Your Brake?

Ross McArthur

To all who dont run a booster. Youll be saying goodbye to your frame sooner than youll like.

Boosters for the win!

I tested a maggie carbon 2 bolt booster (one of the flat plate horseshoe ones) on saturdays brum ride and the brake didnt have any issues with reduced bite, but it reduced the flex alittle and gave a slightly firmer feel at the lever; I never had an issue with brake hold before so cant say whether or not it improved it :)

It doesnt eliminate flex completely like the control booster did (when the brake was shite) but it probably reduces the movement in the seatstays by 50% so will probably keep it on to be safe.

I tested a maggie carbon 2 bolt booster (one of the flat plate horseshoe ones) on saturdays brum ride and the brake didnt have any issues with reduced bite, but it reduced the flex alittle and gave a slightly firmer feel at the lever; I never had an issue with brake hold before so cant say whether or not it improved it :)

It doesnt eliminate flex completely like the control booster did (when the brake was shite) but it probably reduces the movement in the seatstays by 50% so will probably keep it on to be safe.

Glad to hear that big yin.

cheers for letting me know. :)

One more than me, two more than Ben Travis. Yes they are amazing.

i am taking note of this lad

To all who dont run a booster. Youll be saying goodbye to your frame sooner than youll like.

Boosters for the win!

i dont have a booster and my frame is fine...in fact i dont think i have ever had a booster on for a long period of time.

i am taking note of this lad

i dont have a booster and my frame is fine...in fact i dont think i have ever had a booster on for a long period of time.

Is that incase I forget to remind you you dont have one?

What the f**k do you care anyway you get them for free....There you go, I said what you wanted me to say. Happy?

Edited by Ross McArthur

no was merely pointing out that you do not require a brake booster to make a brake good, or to stop a frame from dying.

i have a dead grind, inspired pads, and a vee brake mounted to a brake adapter that is held on with jubilee clips and my brake is solid?

:)

You see you can make a proper contribution to a thread somtimes Ben. Thanks.

no was merely pointing out that you do not require a brake booster to make a brake good, or to stop a frame from dying.

i have a dead grind, inspired pads, and a vee brake mounted to a brake adapter that is held on with jubilee clips and my brake is solid?

:)

what brake adapter are you using?

the ones i had/have are stiff, and are now make my brakes even stiffer.

i found that my frame flexes and gives poor braking, i was also worried about premature failure due to the twisting.

the boosters are necessary on my brakes.

what brake adapter are you using?

the ones i had/have are stiff, and are now make my brakes even stiffer.

i found that my frame flexes and gives poor braking, i was also worried about premature failure due to the twisting.

the boosters are necessary on my brakes.

using heatsink mk2 adapters, and have never had a problem for as long as i have run them! However I have found the atomz to have a super stiff seattube - seat stays junction....

Another thing which I like doing is having the pad on the non-drive side further away than usual and having the drive side pad closer. This will improve the feel of your brake aslong as the cylinder with two hooses going in are on the non-drive side. Also you wont suffer from the rim rubbing on the pad on the non-drive side.

Perhaps you're running a strong rear wheel but for lightweight wheels which don't have much stiffness, that won't work. For some reason even Tart couldn't figure out recently, such wheels will bend towards the drive side when you press the pedal hard. So in my bike for instance, I have the non drive side pad almost touching the rim, while the drive side one is far away.

• Like 1

Perhaps you're running a strong rear wheel but for lightweight wheels which don't have much stiffness, that won't work. For some reason even Tart couldn't figure out recently, such wheels will bend towards the drive side when you press the pedal hard. So in my bike for instance, I have the non drive side pad almost touching the rim, while the drive side one is far away.

Maybe it's the frame flexing and not the wheel? If your putting a lot of load through one crank arm, then maybe the bb shell is twisting?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I third Grant-Hundly and Adam.

There is measurably more power being delivered to the rim with a booster, assuming equal amount of pressure applied to a non boostered lever and one with.

There are other issues that change when putting on a booster. Flex and torque (as distinct from simple bowing out that gets reduced by bolting on a booster) of the seat stay most notably. These changes are going to fall into the "feel" category, and the benefits/down side of these changes is purely subjective.

The amount of flex in the booster is another issue. Thickness does not automatically produce a stiffer booster, conversely, nor a thinner one automatically produce a more flexible one.

if the spoke tention is even then the frame is flexing, just look at the chain close next time.

fact- i just had a bowl of cornflakes.

lets get away from the simple idea that the pads act as a vice holding a lump of metal, think about how brakes on forks with rear mounted brakes are so much better.

yes less flex= more force, if you think about the sidwall of the rim and how thin it is, its not going to have the same amount of rididity on the surface as its radial

next thing is how comes the brake is different depending on wheel ratation?

like loads of people have said its all down to the amount of flex, and there is defenatly and optimuim amount, i suppose this is down to frame materials rim,and pads etc..

when the brake is pulled the whole stay and pad are pretty much deformed, the pads acting like a wedge thats why even with the pads hitting perfect they still wear in a funny shape.

this is also why forks with rear mounts are better, the wheel forces the pads forwards trying to jam them in..

the forces have to go some where.

Just imagine if he hasnt though, still on this thread pressing F5 every 10 minutes until some one comes along and solves his problem. Yay at least he is free now, go forth Tommy.

Thought about that actually but couldn't word it properly. Imagine how long his facial hair must be now.