Picture Up -trying To Single Speed

John Shrewsbury

I still think horizontal dropouts are better. But then again, everything has its own problems.

Dave and me were looking into doing it, but we thought there wud be alot peeps who wudnt like it. And wud probs want to run gears.

Edited by John Shrewsbury

:$ my hero, i hate tensioners of ANY SORT. they either make the bike look clutered, they dont hold good tensions or w.e

I beg to differ. I think the Rolhofs look sweet, not to mention work the dogs!!

Im going to pimp mine out with some drilled out alloy jockey wheels. B)

running a chain without a tensioner on a vertical dropout bike for the loose. (N)

There is a fine line between lightening your bike and having it running sweet, I think not running a tensioner to lighten your bike or for whatever reason people dont run them is a stupid idea!

Edited by Ross McArthur

Another thing to consider is that running a 1/8" chain will be tighter than running a 3/32" chain, it actually makes quite a big difference.

I'm running 22-19 with 405mm stays and a 1/8" chain and its perfect.

How can that work? The pitch never changes, the only measurement that does is width. :S

try using a mtb chain on a bmx, it doesnt work

It wont if your bmx sprockets are the right thickness for an 1/8" chain and youre trying to run a 3/32" chain. The pitch is a standard 1/2" and this never changes.

Much like I use a 1/8" chain on both my trials bike and my bmx, yet I use a 3/32" chain on my mountainbike as it needs to be narrower to fit the rear mech.

I almost had a perfect chain length setup on my Marino with 382cs. I think I could run it without a tensioner but it would clank around to much for my liking. 74King type tensioners are awesome when you can get the almost perfect chain length.

IMG_1946.jpg

Half of the links in your chain are upside down.

Probably doesnt make any difference. just looks strange.

IMO, no difference if up-side down or not.

If you notice, the curvier side (of the chain) is on the inside, while the flatter side is on the outside.

This is so that the chain could be ran on micro gear, since this is a bmx chain, a 9 tooth driver for example.

Another similar chain is the shadow conspiracy. They used to be flat on both sides, but now the v2 chain is curved on one side to accommodate the small tooth gear.

Ive got 18t on front and changed my rear to a 14, 1/2 link chain, feels gd. Not ever gonna use a tensioner as i think there shit. Deralier will just go bk on if i need too, as there so much simpler.

Like i said pic of it is on my first post.

Edited by John Shrewsbury

How can that work? The pitch never changes, the only measurement that does is width. :S

Yeah i know that but the chain is thicker vertically so the internal circumference of x number of links is slightly smaller on a 1/8" chain than a 3/32", therefore fitting more tightly onto the sprockets.

My mistake, i was comparing a very old worn out chain with a new one which is why i noticed a difference. But still a 1/8" chain is less likely to stretch as a 3/32".

No it isn't :P. A 1/8" chain and 3/32" of the same make (i.e. a KMC Kool) uses the same plates and therefore will stretch in exactly the same way as each other. The only difference is the width of the pins and rollers, both of which simply add weight with no gain or loss in strength for the 1/8" version (assuming your drivetrain can accept it, of course).