Which Bb?

CC12345678910

Dave was raising an issue he's had in the past.

That is different to a rival company insinuating that a product is dangerous to use. Cranks that allegedly get mangled aren't quite the same as suggesting that a part could injure you if you run it.

Apparently because suggesting mangled cranks which would lead to accelerated failure would not have any consequence to safety?

Touche' as it relates to comments made on an old thread.

In fact the issue is so pervasive that there are no threads started about it. There might be an odd BB out there that passed by quality control (for any manufacturer), of this I am not suggesting Dave did not find one or a couple.

The points have been made. Now we are past discussion of theory into semantics. I am pretty sure the public can make up their minds at this point with out further "help" from us.

Apparently because suggesting mangled cranks which would lead to accelerated failure would not have any consequence to safety?

I doubt a 'wobbly' crank arm would be quite the massive health and safety risk that the "Is it safe?" original poster was implying about that particular product. I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I'm talking about (despite what you're posting here), so I'll leave it at that.

Touche' as it relates to comments made on an old thread.

In fact the issue is so pervasive that there are no threads started about it. There might be an odd BB out there that passed by quality control (for any manufacturer), of this I am not suggesting Dave did not find one or a couple.

The points have been made. Now we are past discussion of theory into semantics. I am pretty sure the public can make up their minds at this point with out further "help" from us.

As 'Joe Public', I've made up my mind for sure.

Trialtech it is.

There was no hint at any kind of accelerated failure of anything. The worst that could happen (as discussed earlier) is saggy crank splines leading to creaking. Pretty sure there is no way what's been described could cause any kind of reduction in strength or longevity.

There might be an odd BB out there that passed by quality control (for any manufacturer), of this I am not suggesting Dave did not find one or a couple.

My issues have been with aluminium stopper rings which tend to crush (as discussed earlier) and deform which for one means the crank spline becomes damaged leading to creaking but also means that you often can't get the BB tool over the deformed ring which just annoys me.

My question with the Moe BB was brought about because of the picture that you posted caught my attention because firstly the stopper ring's aluminium and also that the stopper ring wouldn't stop the deformation of the crank spline even when new.

There was no hint at any kind of accelerated failure of anything. The worst that could happen (as discussed earlier) is saggy crank splines leading to creaking. Pretty sure there is no way what's been described could cause any kind of reduction in strength or longevity.

My issues have been with aluminium stopper rings which tend to crush (as discussed earlier) and deform which for one means the crank spline becomes damaged leading to creaking but also means that you often can't get the BB tool over the deformed ring which just annoys me.

My question with the Moe BB was brought about because of the picture that you posted caught my attention because firstly the stopper ring's aluminium and also that the stopper ring wouldn't stop the deformation of the crank spline even when new.

Cool, so what you are saying is that while riding a skinny or making a very technical gap.....wobbly parts would not increase the potential for falling and potential injury? Wiggling about in semantics because of a refusal to own up to comments is really a bit much. I can admit to occasionally straying over the line and going over the top....... can anyone else?

Adam, you are watching this thread. Any words of wisdom as to why people should not buy the other BBs from you? Maybe some sort of warning stickers?

Cool, so what you are saying is that while riding a skinny or making a very technical gap.....wobbly parts would not increase the potential for falling and potential injury?

Apart from the clinically retarded, I'd imagine most people would've replaced the faulty part long before it got wobbly enough to cause any issue like that, and I doubt Dave was implying that there was a safety risk involved, unlike the person who made the "Is it safe?" comment about the other product. It seems strange you're refering to 'wiggling in semantics' or whatever it was you used considering that's precisely, 100% what you're doing. Dave said it leads to cranks wobbling a bit, someone else directly questioned the safety of another product. There is a difference there, and there's literally no way you can't see that.

Apart from the clinically retarded, I'd imagine most people would've replaced the faulty part long before it got wobbly enough to cause any issue like that, and I doubt Dave was implying that there was a safety risk involved, unlike the person who made the "Is it safe?" comment about the other product. It seems strange you're refering to 'wiggling in semantics' or whatever it was you used considering that's precisely, 100% what you're doing. Dave said it leads to cranks wobbling a bit, someone else directly questioned the safety of another product. There is a difference there, and there's literally no way you can't see that.

Wobbly parts are or are not a safety issue? The rest is quite simple, "mangled" crank statements impune the reputation of the product at which is was directed. You are correct, there is literally no way you can't see that.

The sort of wobble Dave's talking about aren't necessarily a safety issue, unless you let it get to a ridiculously bad state. I had a pretty bad wobble on a set of cranks I had a while back on a ride and had no means of fixing it, so I rode anyway. They might have a bit of play, but there's virtually no way that they could actually fall off simply because they're still being held on by the crank bolt itself. If the crankbolt itself was loose, and became looser, then that might be a safety issue but that'd be negligence on the part of a rider, and wouldn't be caused by the lack of a stopper.

Calling out a product as unsafe and directly stating it is unsafe is different to suggesting it might cause wobble. Dave was saying that it 'mangles' that end of the crank, and as I've just said, I can't see that actually leading to the crank falling off. That is different to directly saying a product is unsafe. The "mangle = unsafe" thing is some kind of 2+2=5 connection you've made yourself. The other "Is it safe?" comment I'm refering to was the rival manufacturer clearly stating it was unsafe, which can't really be misconstrued in the same way you have with Dave's comment.

I haven't said 'wobble' once. Or 'mangled'. I simply stated that the BB was likely to stretch the crank spline and cause creaking. That's not wobble, or dangerous, or even a problem really- just a niggle. Tim you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole that was never a hole to start with.

tim why were trying to promote a product that the person raising the question had already clearly stated they didnt want as they'd previously broken one. they lost faith in the product. the arguement you've raised is irrelevant to the topic, its pointless.

oh sod it, someone get the jcb out for the loke a spade aint up to the job of digging this whole!

Edited by craigjames

I haven't said 'wobble' once. Or 'mangled'. I simply stated that the BB was likely to stretch the crank spline and cause creaking. That's not wobble, or dangerous, or even a problem really- just a niggle. Tim you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole that was never a hole to start with.

This is hilarious. Nearly as much fun as a barrel of monkeys! ha, ha, ha

You are right, the exact objective, non product disparaging language was "From the looks of the Moe BB it will royally rape your cranks the first time you put them on making them as saggy as a saggy thing."

Now we are defining niggle from wobble or movement or failure. I remember when President Clinton responded "depends what the meaning of "is" is". Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows.

Good fun guys, I'll leave you all for the last word. Because we all know if you speak last you are right.

This is hilarious. Nearly as much fun as a barrel of monkeys! ha, ha, ha

You are right, the exact objective, non product disparaging language was "From the looks of the Moe BB it will royally rape your cranks the first time you put them on making them as saggy as a saggy thing."

Now we are defining niggle from wobble or movement or failure. I remember when President Clinton responded "depends what the meaning of "is" is". Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows.

Good fun guys, I'll leave you all for the last word. Because we all know if you speak last you are right.

theres chatting shit and theres chatting shit and you sir are a legend, you put mr bush to shame.