What The Strongest Chain.

Jordan GU

iv always used to use KMC chain as they were strong and light but when i got my last bike i decided to get a new chain and went for the KHE 2 weeks later the KHE chain was stiff as anything ad kept pulling my wheel out of line causing me to have to get new snail cam bolts, iv now gone back to the kmc chain and its working nicely so id suggest going for the kmc as u get every thing you do with the khe except the dont go stiff.

jacob

Doesn't work. Not that I've run one because every single one I've ever seen is full of stiff links. However, everyone I've spoken to about them say lubing and cleaning does sweet fa and that they have stiff links from new, even with the nice thin assembly oil they come coated with. So no, not common sense!

You seriously must be doing something wrong then. I've run purely Kool's on my trials bikes (plural) for about 7 years and never snapped a single one. Replace them every 6-8 months if I remember and just never have problems.

na im just a harder rider then you obv, bit of a tgs fag...

puts alot of pressure throught the chain....

and the links pretty much always snapped in the middle aswel... weak shiit unless your smooth or dont do very big stuff...

and the stiff link thing, bet the worst were the black chains, theyre awefull for stiff links.... i guess the pain jus causes it or something but i always get the silver ones now and if they go stiff... a bit of tf2 and theyre fine lol and iv had like a million of these chains so i ddnt just get a good one or summit lol

ive run one since january!! never snapd,quality imo!

split it and rejoined it numerous times and never had a problem!! (Y)

yea when i swapped my stock for a mod, it came with a half link... and a really good expensive one apparently....

last the whole half a day, then snapped (Y) theyre amazing

Doesn't work. Not that I've run one because every single one I've ever seen is full of stiff links. However, everyone I've spoken to about them say lubing and cleaning does sweet fa and that they have stiff links from new, even with the nice thin assembly oil they come coated with. So no, not common sense!

You seriously must be doing something wrong then. I've run purely Kool's on my trials bikes (plural) for about 7 years and never snapped a single one. Replace them every 6-8 months if I remember and just never have problems.

No offence but i could say the same thing about you with the KHE. Yeah they of a lower quality but isn't Koxx/ Echo stuff compared to say Hope/ Middleburn, but we still use it.

I'm just saying that i only used to receive stiff links when i join the chain. But then that can be overcome with a slight pin push back.

But i do agree, a KMC shouldn't break that quick. Maybe chainline, tension and heavyness/ bashing come into play.

All to their own.

Nope your right, adding lube doesn't do anything to stop or remove them. The best and quickest way i've found is to try to bend the chain gently laterally. Just grab each side of the stiff links and give the chain a couple of wiggles sideways and the stiff links are gone.

I'm not gonna tell you about the time i snapped a kmc within 3 hours and repeatedly snapped it for 2 weeks until i got a KHE. :P

It was one of the silver-black-silver-black ones though rather than the all silver. I talked to donnovan about it too and he said the kmc's with intermittent black links are a bit snap happy. The all silver ones are fine though.

and the links pretty much always snapped in the middle aswel... weak shiit unless your smooth or dont do very big stuff...

and the stiff link thing, bet the worst were the black chains, theyre awefull for stiff links.... i guess the pain jus causes it or something but i always get the silver ones now and if they go stiff... a bit of tf2 and theyre fine lol and iv had like a million of these chains so i ddnt just get a good one or summit lol

That's not a good thing, though to be honest with the way you've written that post i'd be more inclined to think a lack of care while chain joining is the main culprit.

I'm lucky if a kool chain lasts a month, you do alot of rolling moves?

yea when i swapped my stock for a mod, it came with a half link... and a really good expensive one apparently....

last the whole half a day, then snapped (Y) theyre amazing

doesnt mean it was a shadow chain thou does it...no, imo shadow chains are great, run mine for a long long time withou any problem! (Y)

nath

That's not a good thing, though to be honest with the way you've written that post i'd be more inclined to think a lack of care while chain joining is the main culprit.

i love way how someone types stuff out of a forum mainly consisting 13-15 year olds, people determind how good and certain stuff you are :S

its more of a case of i cba to take the time to type stuff out with care when most of the people on here wont even listen to the advice i give...

and considering iv had 3 years experience as a bike mechanic im pretty sure i can fit chains fine, and as i stated they snap in middle of the link so its nothing to do with the fitting :S

the simple fact is, kmc's are crap compared to khe's... the end. this topic is about the STRONGEST chain.... not what chain you use and havnt snapped yet, cus to be honest when i was smooth and not doing very big stuff i never snapped chains.

every rider i know that got to the stage where they start to snap kmc's easily started using khe's... and they snaplike harrrddlllyyy ever!

doesnt mean it was a shadow chain thou does it...no, imo shadow chains are great, run mine for a long long time withou any problem! (Y)

nath

as in the bmx make, is so then thats is what it was, and it snapped where it sort of bends in to fit into the next link...

By the looks of your bike Rusevelt, you don't ride enough to snap a 10 speed road chain!

Wipperman looks like a beast, never had any problems with KMC Kools myself.

The A1 short frame is new (about 2months old from tarty) as i sold the old long frame to forum member Adamallen about 2-3months ago. as for the old kool chain, most of the link plates were warped/deformed after 5-6 months of use and the roller pins were so loose that they move side-to-side inside the plates. so i wasn't gonna wait around for inevitable. Edited by Rusevelt

Well Wipperman gets my vote for the strongest chain. The pic with the two chains are my former KMC Kool (above) and current Wipperman (below). Chain weighs a bit more.....well alot more

how long have u had it? any stiff links or anything?

please say if it gets stiff links after like month, cus im tempted lol

jus odnt wana waste 26 quid

i love way how someone types stuff out of a forum mainly consisting 13-15 year olds, people determind how good and certain stuff you are :S

its more of a case of i cba to take the time to type stuff out with care when most of the people on here wont even listen to the advice i give...

Probably because it doesn't make any sense?

Try CRC reviews. Plenty of info on there.

I think this thread shows that most chains manage to snap under someone's regime. If your choice of chain works i'd stick to it.

Fitted it yesterday. Was a bit of a pain rolling the chain over the rear 15T sprocket but other than, it feels butter smooth when pedalling. Way smoother than my previous kmc kool chain which i couldn't understand considering how beefy this chain is. Oh yeah my kool used to squeak like a mouse when pedalling but this wipperman is stealth quiet. so yeah its a silly price to pay for a chain but its performance so far is amazing. tensile breaking strength of this chain is claimed at half/ton.