Chris King

sapu

so im thinking to go chris king rear instead of free wheel becoaus e i got borred of always haveing an issue with them. 2 of my mates did the same and nyhe diference is big in my oppiniun

1 shorter bb=stifer

ck weights only a bit more then a fixed hub(bt in my case)

les weight on the front since you have only a screw on cog

the only desavantage i think is the price.

please tell me what do you thinkj about the ck rear hub

Its well weird when people say they get a 'bad' one. :huh:

Ok it skips a bit when you first get it, but what I did was, instead of going hopping mad straight off the bat, I used it on my free ride bike and got a shite load of miles through it. Thats the way forward in my opinion.

The pros of a CK is that it has amazing/quick 'pick up'. light, smooth, easily serviced and ok it doesnt really matter, but I think it sounds good. (Y)

Nooo, don't flush it out straight away! They come with the thick grease to bed it in! Just ride around for quite a while, build up some miles on it. I'd even put it on a 'normal' bike and just ride around for a while. That'd let it all bed in, THEN clean it all out with WD40, get it spotless, then use some Wet lubricant bike stuff on it.

Nooo, don't flush it out straight away! They come with the thick grease to bed it in! Just ride around for quite a while, build up some miles on it. I'd even put it on a 'normal' bike and just ride around for a while. That'd let it all bed in, THEN clean it all out with WD40, get it spotless, then use some Wet lubricant bike stuff on it.

(Y)

Edited by max-t

I don't think there's such thing as 'good' and 'bad' king hubs. I think there's people who abuse them don't take care of their hub. The king I have was used for 2.5 years on a freeride bike before I got it, and I've been riding it for 2 solid years. I broke an axle back in august, but that's an awfully long time for any axle to last. I've had very few skips with it in the last 2 years, probably 8 or so. The few skips that I have had have been when the axle/hub was loose.

I also had a bmx one with my DOB bike, only rode it for a little under a month, but it too was a great hub. It was brand new, I just rode it with the regular lube, it leaks out pretty quickly (supposed to during break in period), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Highly recommended (Y)

Edited by Jason222

Just going on my experience... And to quote Andrew Tonkery: "Kings have lemons..I've had 3-4-5? king hubs, one of them was just like this- it never worked, even after sending it to king for an overhaul...it was an ISO w/trials internals, hd axle, steel drivesheell, funbolts...skipped all the time, was a huge piece of trash.

Every other one has been fine, current one is a classic w/aluminum driveshell- normal axel (foley), just run of the mill cross country...its over 5 years old, I've owned it the whole time and I've neven even touched it- never opened it up to lube it or anything. It has never skipped or come loose since it came out of the box"

Didn't matter what I did to my hub, it skipped continuously.

I bought mine used off of ebay 2 years ago(classis 32h w/ QR). Laced it to a dx32 and have had good luck with it. I know people say they skip, but I have never really had problems. I think I had mine miss once. I took it apart, cleaned up the ring drive and it has treated me well. Best part of owning one is the sound. Nothing compares.

If you get a 'good' one it will be excellent.

If you get a 'bad' one it will be shite, in my experience.

That's spot on. I know so many people who have had endless problems with their King right from the very beginning. I've so far had 2 Kings, one was new and it was fairly good, the other one was bought second hand, and at a guess is now at least 5 years old. It hasn't skipped once, is extremely loud and, well, perfect. My advice would be to get a second hand hub which you know hasn't given the previous owner any problems. Buying new isn't the best way out with these hubs.

edit: Try and get one off an XC rider.

Edited by Inur

Get it, run it in, take it apart, stretch the spring, give it a small amount of finishline/wd40 mix. Done.

Please don't do this. Unless you are a machine and can stretch the spring perfectly you'll end up with a skipping hub. When the spring is stretched it deforms when compressed and is likely to push its way past the drive ring and make your hub not engage.

I've had a fair few kings from new and so have my mates, none of them have skipped badly (unless it was something stupid that I did myself. Like stretch the spring). They do need a bit of bedding in time but there's no reason why you can't ride the hub for trials straight out the box. The key thing is, is to make sure the bearings are tight after every ride. Loose bearings are the main cause of kings skipping. What tends to happen is people get their king put it on the bike and leave it so when the bearings wear in there will be play in the hub.

Remember they are Chris King Precision Components.

I honestly think that the Kings with problems are ones that havn't been properly bedded in and havn't had the thick lube taken out and cleaned the internals.

Oh and Anal, I've stretched the spring in mine (a silly ammount) it was about 4 or 5 inches in length.

It hasn't skipped in the time I've had it (with the spring stretched). It did although, skip when it wasn't stretched, a lot.

Edited by Bob Fossil

I'd have to say you are pretty lucky then. Phil Williams did the same thing and stretched his spring and it was really loud and great for a year, then one day I serviced his king for him and no matter what way the spring went in his hub was skipping. I personally don't think stretching the spring is worth the risk though.

Yeah I do agree it isn't worth the risk.

I've done it to 3 kings now aswell, all been fine :P

I do think that if you've tried everything to stop your king from skipping, that stretching the spring slightly can solve the problem.

I only did mine 'cause I liked the sound at the time and I just kinda got carried away.

I honestly think that the Kings with problems are ones that havn't been properly bedded in and havn't had the thick lube taken out and cleaned the internals.

Mine was run in, cleaned regularly, had a mix of Tri-Flow/WD40 in there, bearings were kept tight from day 1, everything and more that it needs.

Still went to shit, no matter what myself or King did to it, it still skipped.

You can argue about this till the cows come home, but what myself, Inur and AndyT (amongst others) have experienced is 100% not down to poor maintainance/misuse/whatever.