I'm Ill + Emergency Doctors Appointment

Shaun H

Basically yesterday I woke up with abdominal pain, it felt like I hadn't eaten for a day so I toddled off to the kitchen whilst eating a banana and had some cereal. To my dismay this did nothing to help and if anything increased the pain. So I went back to bed and decided I'd miss my first lecture and hope to get to the next one. After about an hour I was pretty sure it wasn't getting any better, so I decided to get a drink, got up put some socks on and my dressing gown and got some water. When I came back I felt a bit cold so I kept my socks and dressing gown on and got back in bed. After another hour or so I felt like it was getting really cold, I was almost shivering. I decided that this was because my room is ridiculously cold (it is) and uprooted myself with my duvet into the lounge/kitchen as it's the warmest in the house and sat myself on a sofa. Then almost immediatly I started shivering profusely and felt freeeeeeeezing cold. This went on for a good 20-30minutes before I felt warm enough that I didn't shiver. Then I was alright for about another 30minutes feeling a bit cold wrapped in my duvet (should have been hot as hell). It then went the opposite way and I started running a high temperature, at this point a mate got me 2x 500mg aspirin. I stayed ridiculously hot for about an hour before finally my temperature stablised. All the while my abdominal pains have not receeded at all. As the day went on the abdomnal pains got kinda worse, I had soup with bread for lunch and a few snacky things. Around 8pm the pains got really really bad, to the point where I said to myself when my mate gets back from climbing I would ask him to take me to A&E. However about 20mins before he got back the pain backed off and wasn't so bad anymore. I watched Spooks which was mental and took my mind off it for a while then after it a couple of my next door neighbours came and saw me and they reckoned I should probably sleep on it and if the pain's still bad in the morning to get myself an appointment and if it woke me up, to wake either them or my housemate who has a car and get taken to A&E.

So I took their advice and slept on it. I felt considerably better when I woke up but the pain is still there. It's gotten a little worse over today but now it's pretty manageable just very uncomfortable.

I've decided since it's been going around 36hours now it's time to get looked at for sure. I want to see a doctor ASAP tomorrow, this wouldn't be a problem at home in Cheltenham since I could just get my Mum to book it all for me and take me (haha!), however here in Birmingham I'm a little lost as to where to go. My Uni runs a health clinic thing but my mates have told me you need appointments and all that (you can't just walk in) and I want to be seen quickly in case it's something dodgy, not next Wednesday! I don't really want to go to A&E since it's not really a full on emergency and I'd have to wait hours with a mild stomach problem! Does anyone know what authority I should be contacting?

and for any budding eDoctors here is a summary for you to diagnose haha Me and the housemates/neighbours had an inkling it may be appendicitis but since I'm not dead yet it isn't that!

Yesterday:

Abdominal pain - cramp like, felt like I hadn't eaten for a long period, vague at first but locating itself (under pressure) in the appendix region

Chills - shivering for around 30minutes

Fever - following chills lasting over an hour

Today:

Particularly unpleasant morning breath despite excessive water consumption

Abdominal pain - dull at waking but increased to an uncomfortable level during the day

and for any budding eDoctors here is a summary for you to diagnose haha Me and the housemates/neighbours had an inkling it may be appendicitis but since I'm not dead yet it isn't that!

Yesterday:

Abdominal pain - cramp like, felt like I hadn't eaten for a long period, vague at first but locating itself (under pressure) in the appendix region

Chills - shivering for around 30minutes

Fever - following chills lasting over an hour

Today:

Particularly unpleasant morning breath despite excessive water consumption

Abdominal pain - dull at waking but increased to an uncomfortable level during the day

dont bank on that, my mum was severely ill for 3 days and 3 doctors didnt diagnose anything more than upset stomach/bug, when she went into hospital she was diagnosed after about an hour and taken to surgery instantly, her appendix burst and went gangrene, doctors rekon anothe 6-12 hours more and i wouldnt have a mum any longer

but she was in severe pain for the days before surgery and couldnt eat/drink/sleep/move but it affects everyone differently.

i reckon your uni should have an on call doctor for emergencies, just ring up the receptiony type place if youve got one and find out

alternativley try nhs direct on the blower, theyre usually quite good

Maybe you have gastroenteritis. Got the shits?

Nope, I'd have put that up if I had. Felt a little constipated yesterday morning but been shitting fine since.

i've had mental abdominal pains maybe three times, but never odd temperatures. Mine always passed.

:S

Get yours checked out, the last thing you want is a bust appendix.

I've had it before when I was around 15 maybe? Ridiculously painful, had me in tears. Went to A&E, got seen after a couple of hours, they gave me painkillers sent me off for an hour and it subsided a little, went back was checked over by doctor and felt fine 10 minutes later. Was proper weird!

But yeah exactly, I just want it checked out to rest my mind more than anything.

Got the shits?

i think i might know what youev on about. ive had it before (sounds the same)

it all started in america i had eaten shit for days and days no veg or goodness atall.

but couldnt get hold of anygood stuff becuase this was like 11pm and everywhere was shut.

i thought right il go lay a fat turd and jump into bed see how things are in the morning.

so came out the loo and i never felt better. (mind you i was in there for like an hour) (didnt have the shits just thought id take my time :))

yeah so done that got up in the morning. went down to the resturant and grabbed my self the biggest fruit salad you have ever seen and ive only had it a couple of times since then but every time i done the same thing and it always worked. =]

but yeah its not nice feels like youve swallowed a few knifes.

get well soon bud

..rob..

Edited by Rob Brodie

Go to A&E for sure mate. Mild pain doesn't always mean mild problem. It could be something very serious. Probably not mind, but you never know. You pay your taxes to use the NHS, so use it! Get down there with a magazine, ask questions, sound intelligent and get good treatment :)

I hope you don't die before you let us know what was causing the trouble!

Mate get yourself off to A&E asap!

I was exactly the same, thinking it would go away, trying to shake it off. Exactly the same symptoms... I only went to the hospital because someone made me. Turns out my appendix was about to burst - and if that happens, you're f**ked! They were surprised I could even walk into the hospital because it was so swollen.

It's worth at least getting checked. Alls they'll do is take a blood test, poke your appendix / give you a scan and see if it is that.

Sounds like yu need to go to a&e really. No one is going to be able to give you a diagnosis over the Internet. The other options are go to a walk in centre (I don't know if there are any near you?) or go to any gp and get an appointment as a temporary resident. You probably know what gps are like though, I'd go down to a&e I guess.

If you press down slowly but firmly with your hand on your lower abdomen and release it quickly and it becomes more painful after releasing you have whats known as rebound tenderness, which is a very strong indicator of appendicitis. Give it a try, lower abdomen above your hip bones, if it hurts more after pulling your hand away get to A&E as quickly as possible as you have mere minutes to live* if it doesn't hurt more it could be anything (unfortunately could still be appendicitis) so get to your GP, W.I.C. or A&E. They'll give you some antibiotics and if your lucky your body might fight the appendicitis on its own, if not though you'll have to have it removed and gain a new scar :D

*minutes is a huge exaggeration :P, you'll be fine for a while but it is serious so get to A&E ASAP.

If you press down slowly but firmly with your hand on your lower abdomen and release it quickly and it becomes more painful after releasing you have whats known as rebound tenderness

Erm, yeah that's true but you can't really do it on yourself (moving your hands will tense your stomach muscles slightly so the test won't work properly). Which is one reason why you'd need to be examined by a doctor. Not even a qualified doctor would be stupid enough to tell you that you were fine simply by reading what you've written on a forum, let alone people on TF.

Lying down and pressing with your hands on your lower abdomen (just above pubic region not stomach) will be fine. I know he should go and see a doctor, that's why i wrote that just after. Just the rebound test is a good way to find out if you have, in that if it hurts you have got it for definite, where as if it doesn't it could still be it but could be something like colonic appendicitis (appendix moved around near colon :sick:).

Just the rebound test is a good way to find out if you have, in that if it hurts you have got it for definite, where as if it doesn't it could still be it but could be something like colonic appendicitis (appendix moved around near colon :sick:).

I'm not being funny but you've just made up the name of a medical condition. Reason #43 why TF isn't the best place for medical advice, particularly in something potentially serious.

I didn't make it up its just SUPER rare ;)

Er, no. I don't know if you got the words confused but there's no such thing. The appendix is part of the colon so your term 'colonic appendix' doesn't make any sense since every normal person would have a 'colonic appendix'. Perhaps you're thinking about a retrocaecal appendix?