New Pashley Frame

Gogz-

I have been looking at the new pashley frame on tarty ...pashley..

I have generally always thought they have maid really nice bikes but what were they thinking this time?

Integrated gear hanger???? ... where the seat stay meats the top tube????? .... Orange????

I think its one of those that from the side it looks quite nice but when you get close up you want to puke

what do you think?

Edited by Gogz-

More that you can bend steel back without it cracking/snapping off.

OK but in my experience integrated hangers will eventually snap off and then its new frame time. As every time you bend it back the metal bends and stretches and becomes weaker.

Edited by Gogz-

exactly, unlike alu you can bend a steel mech hanger back into position many times before it will fatigue and crack. when it finally does, which is unlikely, send it to pashley and they'll braze in a new dropout. plus, the dropouts on a steel frame dont tend to bend as easily as an alu one anyway. look at 99% of all steel frames, they wont have a replaceable mech hanger.

What a corker! Im sure most streety riders will agree with me too!

Having said that, Tim has done pashley very well using it in comps too. It seems the frame is multi-purpose. And its hand-built in the UK by british people! Not mass produced in a factory in china a-la-deng.

Just use a 74Kingz style tensioner, then you don't need the hangar? If it snaps off, it doesn't matter. :)

I quite like the frame, orange is niiice! Think it needs a seat though, don't you think?

EDIT: 1100mm wheelbase!? Bit long isn't it?

Plus, what's the benefit of the forward facing disc mount on their forks? - http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=40

Surely that'd flex more? as the powers going away from the forks instead of into it?

Edited by Dan6061

what's the benefit of the forward facing disc mount on their forks?

Surely that'd flex more? as the powers going away from the forks instead of into it?

I think its so the front brake is pulling the weight onto the front wheel, so the brake has the length of the fork working as leverage with it, same as on a moto trials bike. I'm probably wrong, but thats the only reason i can think of.. i've often looked at my Gas Gas and wondered the same.

Ah, I've been wondering about the fork as well. I'm neutral on the forward-facing mount.

But from the way I see it, the brake mount seem to be on the right leg?

Can someone clarify it?

Because its forward facing it has to be on the right hand leg to allow IS calipers to fit :)

Personally I love the frame and had a good look at tims on the Beau brum ride back in the summer.

The big traffic cone is some statement thats for sure. The design is something loads of companies are adopting these days....The double seat tube which offers unparalelled stiffness is a great idea. its been well proven by the Ghz. The Ghz was just too short for comps, I speak from experience.

Ok, maybe going from a 1040 Ghz to a 1100 Ghz was a bit wild. After so long testing it must ride at least no bad.

As for the hanger, I dont see it snapping off anytime soon. If your landing on it a lot you've got some serious problems.

As for starting a thread to rip the shit out of the frame.....poor show.

The big traffic cone is some statement thats for sure. The design is something loads of companies are adopting these days....The double seat tube which offers unparalelled stiffness is a great idea. its been well proven by the Ghz. The Ghz was just too short for comps, I speak from experience.

Ok, maybe going from a 1040 Ghz to a 1100 Ghz was a bit wild. After so long testing it must ride at least no bad.

As for the hanger, I dont see it snapping off anytime soon. If your landing on it a lot you've got some serious problems.

As for starting a thread to rip the shit out of the frame.....poor show.

BTW I didn't start the thread to rip it out of the frame . i wanted to know what other people thought, and y they thought they had designed it this way

Oh ok, I've got it now. Thanks :D

So this means that the wheel would be fitted the other way? How weird it would look if one is running dual disc... :huh:

just a wild stab in the dark, but im guessing its for people who would normally sidehop to the left. They can't hit their disc now because its on the wrong side :)

Pashley are always thinking of us :wub:

Less likely to land on it even if you side hp to the right as you'd hit the drop out first.

The frame isn't as long as his proto was as this has a slightly slacker head angle but its still long. Felt very similar to my 04 long Control.

Feels lovely to ride especially now Tim has some decent parts on it (well he did last time I saw him but he's probably broken them now).

Hey guys, firstly just to put your minds at rest, in the whole 5+ years ive been riding pashleys now, I have never once broken a mech hanger! they have bent once or twice, but never broken, its whatever is bolted to it that ends up broken instead!

The frame wont be to everyones taste, especially the colour. I personally love it, I think its great that it stands out from the crowd! If you really dont like it though, colour is a pretty easy thing to change!

The forks are the way they are for a bunch of reasons. Firstly, I found with hooks especially, the disc brake forces actually shift the wheel in the dropout. To fix it either meant changing the dropout completely, or just brazing the mount on the other side... so we took the latter option, and it works great. The wheel no longer shifts in the dropouts as a result of disk brake forces. Theres also obvious plus points, like the caliper being a bit more protected, and funky looks.

Current setup on my compy bike:

Pashley Proto frame, standard 4 bolt forks.

Front King hub on 517,

Complete Trialtech rear wheel,

Maxxis 2.35 tyres front and rear, with rear dual ply.

Trialtech cranks, custom steel bashguard and tensile freewheel.

Rear mech as a tensioner.

Magura brakes with brake pads that make more noise than I would like.

Hope 110x8deg(ish) stem and Raceface Diabolus bars, old skool serfas grips.

Think thats pretty much it...

Hope thats all made sense!

Tim.