Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Toshiba satellite pro l630-167 :)

I think it's 1,066 according to this http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1102393&BV_Script=/jsp/fixup/productPage

Sorry for being useless!

Edited by LukasMcNeal

Aye from what I can tell, this is the stuff you want: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=145E179BA5CA7304

I'd buy it from there. Cheapest I can find it for elsewhere is £30, and that's before postage.

Also, make sure you're running 64 bit windows first or you'll only see 3gb of RAM being used.

Edited by Muel

My sister's handed me her PC and asked me to fix it, it's a Fujitsu Scaleo P, running Windows XP. The computer boots fine, loads up the XP login screen no problem, but none of the USB inputs work, so I can't use a keyboard or a mouse to get past the login screen. On startup it flashes a 'No keyboard detected' notice, and I can't use a PS2 mouse/keyboard because there isn't any PS2 inputs, only USB. I've tried resetting the BIOS using the jumpers, tried using my own mice and keyboards, nothing.

Anyone know anything else I could try?

Soooo.... you need to be reinstalling the operating system.

If she has stuff on there she wants to keep, pictures of her boyfriends ballbag, homework etc. then you need to be running some LiveCD like knoppix to get it off. Atleast with knoppix running it'll recognise USB related things and you'll be able to navigate around the hard drive to get the stuff you/she wants off it. Then it's just a case of starting with a blank page again.

xxx

Wow.

Okay, so next I would be removing the hard drive from the laptop and putting it into my laptop and basically doing exactly what I needed, whether it be run a livecd, just plug my usb mouse in to save some shit or just reinstalled windows.

Out of interest, why cant you get into the BIOS? I take it your smashing the shit out of F10, F12 and all the other BIOS related keys on boot up?

Out of interest, why cant you get into the BIOS? I take it your smashing the shit out of F10, F12 and all the other BIOS related keys on boot up?

Non of his usb ports are working, so no keyboard or mouse.

Wow.

Okay, so next I would be removing the hard drive from the laptop and putting it into my laptop and basically doing exactly what I needed, whether it be run a livecd, just plug my usb mouse in to save some shit or just reinstalled windows.

It's a desktop, not a laptop.

Fecked USB ports is fecked usb ports. XP doesn't need a driver to understand USB2, and before Windows loads it's using some firmware bollocks.

I'd guess at the USB controller being royally buggered. Which means new motherboard. If it's not understanding a keyboard there's little else you can do.

Anyone set up a VPN before ? Having real difficulty.

My knowledge is pretty limited, but Im not a dumbass, so given some general background info I feel like I can get things going.

Situation = 1 mac mini server. Now I did have it working locally (which seems to make no sense) but not from outside my local network, but having reinstalled to get a raid mirror set up for data I can't even get this far. Im testing my offsite access via iPhone 4 on 3g (o2), which could be the problem (I know read that this may be blocked by provider ?) but got my sister to try from a mac on a wired connection - no joy. I only did that test once sand Ive realised that she may need to open up ports in her router also ? Mine should be ok as I have an airport express that the server app can control, and the firewall for the server has all the right ports open it seems. Im using no-ip to have my public ip constantly updated so I always have the right address.

The end result is a simple fileserver for a mixed PC/Mac environment but with remote access to project files, and using time machine on a NAS running backups for offsite. The office getting this are complete muppets so I don't want to bang this thing in without making sure I can remotely manage it - I don't want to have to drive 80-100 miles every time they have a minor issue. Also The boss there has bought himself a macbook pro without any computing skills and has a pretty complicated sync/mail/cal setup so would be nice to be able to screenshare that mac whilst VPNing in to the network.

Anyone with any skills in this area who would have a few moments to help can they just PM me at some point (might be an easier and quicker way for all to get the help I need)

Chars

RJ

Anyone set up a VPN before ? Having real difficulty.

My knowledge is pretty limited, but Im not a dumbass, so given some general background info I feel like I can get things going.

Situation = 1 mac mini server. Now I did have it working locally (which seems to make no sense) but not from outside my local network, but having reinstalled to get a raid mirror set up for data I can't even get this far. Im testing my offsite access via iPhone 4 on 3g (o2), which could be the problem (I know read that this may be blocked by provider ?) but got my sister to try from a mac on a wired connection - no joy. I only did that test once sand Ive realised that she may need to open up ports in her router also ? Mine should be ok as I have an airport express that the server app can control, and the firewall for the server has all the right ports open it seems. Im using no-ip to have my public ip constantly updated so I always have the right address.

The end result is a simple fileserver for a mixed PC/Mac environment but with remote access to project files, and using time machine on a NAS running backups for offsite. The office getting this are complete muppets so I don't want to bang this thing in without making sure I can remotely manage it - I don't want to have to drive 80-100 miles every time they have a minor issue. Also The boss there has bought himself a macbook pro without any computing skills and has a pretty complicated sync/mail/cal setup so would be nice to be able to screenshare that mac whilst VPNing in to the network.

Anyone with any skills in this area who would have a few moments to help can they just PM me at some point (might be an easier and quicker way for all to get the help I need)

Chars

RJ

I only work with Windows systems so cannot really advise for MAC environments.

I suppose the normal questions;

What are they using for a domain controller?

Where is the firewall physically located; router, Domain controller (ISA maybe), third party software?

What make/model is the router (are you sure the router supports VPN - most do, but some wont!)

How are you trying to authenticate through the VPN (Active Directory account, router account?)

Have you checked any encryption settings on your VPN dial in settings - have you tried turning this off?

Your situation is rather strange because when I have set these up we have always, always used a static IP address and not a dynamic-to-static service - perhaps this could be the issue here? Also we have servers with two NICs - one is LAN and the other is ASDL directly to the router so when we dial the VPN, it goes static IP > Router > Routed to internal IP Address > Authenticated on Domain Controller < Connection Accepted < Connected!

The fact you has this working locally is not at all strange - we do this regularly to ensure that the router link is up (we plug directly into the router and dial the 'interal' VPN address - if it works, great! The VPN is up - this helps eliminate any dodgy routing/client issues.

As for the client opening ports - not likely. I've never come across people having issues dialing into VPNs from home, the thing with VPNs is that they either work and you leave them, or they don't and they can be a bitch to work out why. Without more knowledge of your setup I cannot really give you much more advice other then to try and eliminate all possible causes (test on a laptop, not iphone - these could be two completely seperate issues why they don't work).

Drop me a PM if you need more help - but I can't always reply quickly.

Right got a new CPU cooler.

Artic cooler freezer pro 7 rev 2 yadayada.

Now with the setup i have.

i5 760 reasonable case cooling, foxconn motherboard.

Surely i should be able too get too if not above 4ghz...

The thing gets seriously unstable above 3.7 and wont run over 3.8

What the hell am i doing wrong.

The CPU isn't getting hot, its idling at 40 even at 3.75ghz so no idea what i'm doing wrong...

Not very good at overclocking it would seem haha.

Not on a 760, 4.0ghz is about the limit I think. Have you upped the vcore?

I'm playing with my Dad's new computer I just built for him. Sandy bridge i3, 8gb RAM, 500gb HDD and all for £280. :)

Wow... thought they where capable of more.

How do access and change the v-core? What should i roughly be setting it too for say 3.7/8ghz Currently got it running 3.4 ghz just too be on the safe side. that's still a 600mhz overclock but you know...

All other peoples i've overclocked have been fine...

In the bios. It's either called vcore, or core voltage, or sometimes CPU voltage.

Basically when you increase the clockspeed, the signal gets noisier/more prone to crashes. Increase the vcore to stregthen the signal and make it nice. But too much vcore = blown up CPU.

My overclocking rules have always been, fit a ridiculously big cooler, set the vcore to the max that the manufacturer says you can, and then increase the CPU frequency until it's no longer stable. (BTW, stable for me is passing 24 hours of Prime95 blend. And I've known them die at the 23rd hour).

I don't bother any more personally. I never felt it made any difference I could feel and see, so I run it stock now. Mind you I could only get from 3.4ghz to 3.8ghz, which is only 12% increase.

Chrome, Firefox and Opera won't finish downloads anymore. They just stop a few hundres kb before being complete.. internet explorer downloads them fine though?

Any help?

Just checked again, and it also doesen't work with IE...

Edited by Hopping_Topsy