Pet Hates

NVWOCI WVS

What do you mean by "Doesn't mean anything?" Not sure I follow your next remark either really. Obviously that qualification is a vocational based qualification so if you know what you want to do for your career then that’s fine. I was referring to the thousands of people studying degrees right now who have no clue what they're going to do once they have graduated.

What do you mean by "Doesn't mean anything?" Not sure I follow your next remark either really. Obviously that qualification is a vocational based qualification so if you know what you want to do for your career then that’s fine. I was referring to the thousands of people studying degrees right now who have no clue what they're going to do once they have graduated.

Thats my point, whats the point in studying a degree if its not really for anything in particular? Although in self contradiction i think i get what you mean, i take it that it is to prove to your employer that you can commit to something?

The skills required to get a degree (especially if it's a good mark) are kind of self evident to an employer. So as you said, being able to commit to something but also the fact that a degree isn't like being in secondary school where everything is spoon fed to you and all you have to do is agree in the exam. You have to do your own research and your own work and therefore you must have the competence and self motivation that’s required.

I suppose now though since there are so many more people studying at uni, it has become more about where you got your degree from and how strong it was. So did you get a 1st at an established uni like Oxford/Cambridge or did you get a 3rd at one of the newer universities. Personally I'm not sure what I want to do once I graduate, I quite like the academic life so might even look into studying longer and getting a job in a university.

In order to keep on topic, I hate windy days when I'm on the bike

ID policy in general. Got less than 5 hours to write a 16 page essay for uni tonight (not through bad planning, but because that's the brief for the project), so swung in past Sainsburys for a can of Red Bull to get me through the night. Got to the checkout and was asked for my driving license? WTF? Why do you even need to regulate the sale of Red Bull?! Beer I can understand, and having drugs on prescription, but Red Bull?

Seeing as I work for said supermarket, I can accurately say, whoever asked you for ID for red bull is a retard.

Forgetting all of this though, most employers really only care about the fact that you have a degree and aren't too fussed in what you studied. The fact that you have the skills required to get a degree are all that really matters. Baring that in mind, I would rather study for 3 years a degree that I actually find interesting and not one which I think prospective employers will find useful.

Most of it is pretty much bullshit lingo, which I can't stand..."Let me run this past you...".

I did a Health and Safety course about 2 years ago; it was for a degree and was the entry qualification into health and safety management. I kept in touch with one girl on the course and about a year after passing she applied for a job at an international business. It consisted of 5 interview stages - The job she could do standing on her head; Environmental Management, some £40k a year, company car, bonus every year job...although she had more letters after her name than little.

Anyway, she told me about the interview, literally you spend days out with the interviewee and other candidates - Went out for a meal, breakfasts and those activity days so they could judge you on teamwork and communication. The only problem was that she's a really down to Earth girl, and spoke none of that management talk, so when they asked a 'basic' question, they made it very complex. Unfortunely she didn't understand and so couldn't answer the question - she never got the job.

She even told me that when she went for breakfast, they laid out several newspapers on the table - probably judging you on what newspaper you read aswell! Sounds like something from The Apprentice, but apparently its becoming an interview technique for the huge businesses in finding the 'right' person for the job.

Edited by Baby Pizzle

You pet hate is someone using an apostrophe when it's not supposed to have one, and you don't know it's f**king name?! :lol:

And if we're being fannys, there should be no apostrophe in your last 'its'.

Sorry to be a pedant, but Muel's in the right, grammar-wise!

He was referring to "it" as the apostrophe, and the name (it) belongs to said apostrophe, so it has an apostrophe there :P E.g: "you don't even know Muel's name" not "you don't know Muels name"

Sorry to go on, it's kind of a compulsive thing :(

Things that annoy me:

Poor spelling/ grammar.

People who start fights for no reason.

Arrogant people.

Rich kids who get everything they want, and have no grasp of the value of money, look down on those who aren't as well off.

Having the volume of the tv on an odd number (apart from multiples of 5) pisses me off.

Edited by Marvin the Martian

Philosophy as a subject/discipline has its own lingo just like any other. Should we talk about science without using words such as photosynthesis/osmosis/evaporation? Or, how would you feel if your mechanic told you "the funny push valve thing got a bit stuck in the funny long tube bit under the big block thing"

I completely understand what your saying, but whereas alot of scientific terms have no easy substitute, alot of philosophy terms just seem to be fancy words for stuff that could be easily put into the conversation without using them if you know what i mean? I may be wrong there, but that's not really what i'm driving at anyway. It's not the existence of these terms, like i initially said they're fine if they keep them relatively to themselves. It's the fact that the philosophy students at my school (i'm not saying all of you, that's why i narrowed it down to the ones that actually do this rather than just saying 'philosophy students') use these terms and philosophic jargon in completely unrelated arguments where there's simply no reason to go that deep. They just do it cos they can and then look at you smugly because they equally know that you won't understand, not realising that you don't actually give a shit.

That said, as a Philosophy student I find myself disliking a lot of people on my course because they do feel they have a innate superiority and use terminology in order to seem more intelligent. This is kind of ironic because the whole point of Philosophy is to seek truth but in the clearest way possible, that’s why (in arguments) overuse of jargon which is not necessary is often frowned upon.

Nail-head. I also get the impression a large ammount of people at my school take philosophy simply to get this sense of superiority.

For example, I could respond to your "Dickhead posh philosophy students" by saying "this is a blatant exercise of a fallacy ad hominem which completely over shadows your main points" Of course quite a few people will have no idea what that means because I'm being overly complicated. A much simpler way of putting it would be "by mocking the people who study philosophy with insults this distracts the reader from any real arguments you might have. They may think, well he's just taking a cheap shot there so why should I listen to him"

Haha, well to be honest i am just taking a cheap shot :P as far as i can tell that's what this thread is for and untill you replied to what i said i didn't really consider trying to effectively argue my point and convince people round to my point of view. What i said was hardly a neat, educated way of saying it but i think it got the point across and swearwords and colloquial language aren't always a bad thing in writing for exageration, i'd rather keep semi irrelavant jargon out of this for obvious reasons, but this is something polemic journalism often makes use of :P

As for the beanie, it's this kind of thing:

LongBeanie-Gry-1.big.jpg

but generally worn much further back on their head as if to actually conceal dreads :P Although the whole flip flops in winter sounds like part of the whole poor, scruffy, travellor, creative artist type look i'm driving at.

Edited by Max Quinn

Ah I'm glad that's not just me :lol:

People who use LOL and ROFL etc as real words :blink: get a grip!

Followed by -

Nottingham chavs wear those, and they wear them right on the top of their heads, so if they turned around quickly they'd fly off.

What's the point in that?

Followed by -

Haha, to be honest i actually think the hats themselves are allright, i just cant stand them because of the kind of people they represent round here :P

Followed by a photo of Jolfa (from Nottingham) in a similarly style hat - n528331218_265939_8503.jpg

Is f**king stupidly funny.

Edited by Pashley26