V Brake Upgradeing

Matt Vandart

I have always sort of made do with the v brakes I had lying around for my bikes with v brakes and the deore ones I have moved from bike to bike are seriously getting worn out so I think it is time I got some really good ones.

Anyone got these?

V brake link

And are they really worth the extra cash?

Matt

Edited by Themechanicalbear

I have always sort of made do with the v brakes I had lying around for my bikes with v brakes and the deore ones I have moved from bike to bike are seriously getting worn out so I think it is time I got some really good ones.

Anyone got these?

V brake link

And are they really worth the extra cash?

Matt

there awesome! but remember to use a good cable and lever too (Y)

they are good, but not worth the extra cost.

I found them to be quite wide, making setting up harder........the bearings get rougher which can make the brake pull one side more than the other..........they don't have any play which can actually reduce power...........all the bits (springs etc) are seperate items making them easy to loose.

I say stick with SD7 arms or use new shimano lx or xt arms (non linkage ones)

I found them to be quite wide, making setting up harder........the bearings get rougher which can make the brake pull one side more than the other..........they don't have any play which can actually reduce power...........all the bits (springs etc) are seperate items making them easy to loose.

I say stick with SD7 arms or use new shimano lx or xt arms (non linkage ones)

DAMN IT! i just got my ultimates...

..........they don't have any play which can actually reduce power...........

how does less play reduce power?

did you eventually manage to get the bearings out in order to change them? :)

(i actually bought two ultimates because i thought i want something with no play for the front, and then i thought it would be weird to have a better brake on the front than on the rear..kinda silly, i know )

I never managed to replace my bearings :( getting them out was next to impossible!

I don't know how a small amount of play helps with power, but I found it very noticeable!

Loads of people use vees, I used them for 3 years and won a world championship round with them on!

avid sd7's are the best that i've used,cheap and reliable (Y)

i've had mixed resaults with the shimano xt parrerel push brakes,my mate has one on the front of his mod and it's savage,it does hurt your wrist if your not prepared ! so i tried these on my adamant on the back,and found them to flex the frame sooooo much i lost power,i even tried with a booster and that didnt help; the flex was that much that once the pads were engaged i could carry on pulling the leaver into the grips !

When I was considering running a front vee, I threw on a broken SD7 that'd been kicking about for years in the garage, with a set of the colour-f*ck rock pads and a smooth rim and it threw me over the bars repeatedly for the first day.

Considering that was coming from a 203mm BB7 I thought was pretty much unbeatable, I was pretty surprised!

cant beat a front 203 bb7, with avid pads, roundagon rotor and sd7 lever in my opinion :)

I bet my v could :lol:

I have noticed alot of disc's slide abit when you gap to front, when i set up my front v brake with heatsink reds on a smooth rim it doesnt slide at all what so ever. My friend had a front v brake and it was awsome but he switched to a avid bb7 because he said he liked the modulation over the power. I personally like my brakes as either fully on or not :D

Edited by Matt_Thibeau