I Miss The Days..

Robwalker

The days when a big group ride was 20 people,

before fatpants was around

TM2

Trials Shack

Trying to buy trials parts before tarty

any more?

Ive just been watching TM2. Made in 2005! Only 4 years ago but f**k me it seems like a lifetime. Trials has progressed so much and is a hell of a lot more popular than when i first started. Anyone else miss how it used to be?

Dude, evolve and contact were the only and best trials films ever, and to be honest i have never really wanted this sport to exspand hugely, nothing like bmx has got. And buying parts from bike dock and chinreaction hahaa i used to know tat phone number so well.

i love the tight family vibe that the sport has, and erm its late bed time, night boys.

Edited by Daniel Gray

Tricks and Stunts not in your 'best vids' list? Shocking ;)

Equally, you noted "TM2" as being "the old days", whereas there was evidently TM1 before it. Even that's not particularly old school - early James Hyland/Trialskings vids were where it was at. All the trialsride.com dudes doing west coast vids, random snippets of people on London rides, back when people would just upload individual tricks or lines and you'd just watch them instead of a video edited together...

This is before my time but anyone remember George Gori? he got pretty high in the uk, ranked 3rd i think, or something like that. Went to NASS for an invitation only trials comp. Can’t recall the date.

Anyone know of any vids of him out there. He and i would love to see them. He's got a vid of him on VHS and has not got round to putting it on to DVD. When he douse I'll put it up.

He's how running my local bike shop, Soanes Cycles and is a really great guy. He's riding road now though, just for fun, he's got me into it too.

Well anyone remember him?

Thanks

Bikedock the only thing they ever got wright for me was the echo 05 control frame with the free booster and they sent the wrong booster still.

Now Trialsshop there was a nightmare shop they had everything but the price range was so high i still think there selling the pashley ghz for about £450.

Biddle

Dude, evolve and contact were the only and best trials films ever, and to be honest i have never really wanted this sport to exspand hugely, nothing like bmx has got. And buying parts from bike dock and chinreaction hahaa i used to know tat phone number so well.

i love the tight family vibe that the sport has, and erm its late bed time, night boys.

Daniel Gray has a good point , there is no point expanding trials becasue there IS a tight family , and trials forum feels personal , where as i bet BMX forum doesnt due to the amount of BMX'ers.

I miss the days when people used this thread.

This isn't me having a go at you saying use the search because it took me a little while to find it and I knew exactly what I was looking for. I just thought I'd bring this up because its basically the same thing really.

Two years has passed since that topic mun, we've all got a bit older since then. Maybe we've remembered more, more likely forgot. Newcomers to this forum wouldn't find that anyway, and the need to know a bit on the history of trials don't they?

Thats not me having a go either, just pointing out. :badger:

EDIT:

Crap, I wrote that without even contributing properly to the topic. ****

Remember when someone helped cause the demise of the sale of the Planet-X Zebdi in the UK.................

Edited by Trials Punk

Two years has passed since that topic mun, we've all got a bit older since then. Maybe we've remembered more, more likely forgot. Newcomers to this forum wouldn't find that anyway, and the need to know a bit on the history of trials don't they?

Thats not me having a go either, just pointing out. :badger:

EDIT:

Crap, I wrote that without even contributing properly to the topic. ****

Remember when someone helped cause the demise of the sale of the Planet-X Zebdi in the UK.................

I was just brining that back up because there's some interesting things in that thread.

I do remember when someone helped cause the demise of the sale of the Planet-X Zebdi in the UK......

I miss Brant.

MERLIN WHEELBUILDS ARE...

Hahaha.

"MERLIN WHEELBUILDS ARE SH...."

Smithwheels, the wheelbuild james wishes he'd used for that drop

Haha, classic :P

I would put a serious post in this thread...but for me riding/rides/the scene in general has just got better, apparently there were glory days, but i hadn't even heard of trials then :S...

Edited by Alex Dark

I was just brining that back up because there's some interesting things in that thread.

I do remember when someone helped cause the demise of the sale of the Planet-X Zebdi in the UK......

I miss Brant.

I can't seem to find my post......

Nevermind.

Partz, if I remember right. I made a topic about warrenty issues with the Zebdi (No quibble warrenty, you break it you get new!!) I had to pay £100 for a new frame. Anyway, people in similar situations started repeating what I had said (the frames tended to crack very easy round the BB area). Brant threw a wobbly, and pulled it from the UK saying that it was out fault and our loss. Dear dear. Although I am getting another zebdi soon, they do ride nice.

Anyway, back on track.

Saracen X-torts anyone?

mad.jpg

I started trials because i saw Tricks and Stunts, i actually pre-ordered it before it was released!!! That and the MBUK Urban Tour, seeing what guys on slightly adapted mountain bikes could do was so accessible and intriguing i thought i had to give that a try. Like many other guys from that time i started on whatever mountain bike i had and changed bits at a time lke ditching suspension then having only a granny ring etc.....no doubt a tough way to learn but it was definetly fun. Lots of people on dodgy put together bike trying to pedal up stuff.

I'm not sure if i was completely new to the sport and saw for example a TGS video whether i would be interested. I mean Tricks and Stunts is still a cool video, moves like the nose manual down the spiral stair case stood out to me and it was that sort of thing that got me hooked, i don't imagine a sidehop would ever instill the same excitement or intrigue. I'm not saying trials has got boring as there's so much more to it than TGS but if my awareness was only to that genre as a new rider i wouldn't be the least bit interested, thats why i still like the guys who clearly have roots in the early days style riding.

However despite all that the way trials has progressed in popularity and awareness is a good thing. No longer having to use LX hollowtech cranks with special DMR bashguards etc.... i'm glad i got to experience those days and i couldn;t imagine like many of the newer guys whos first bike is a fully fitted mod/stock set up as an ideal trials bike....thats boring, but the fact theres companies out there helping and promoting the sport and products being made just for trials is definetly the positive aside to the growth of this sport.

We wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn;t for those guys dicking around on their small XC frames...its always good to remeber where it started.

Partz, if I remember right. I made a topic about warranty issues with the Zebdi (No quibble warranty, you break it you get new!!) I had to pay £100 for a new frame. Anyway, people in similar situations started repeating what I had said (the frames tended to crack very easy round the BB area). Brant threw a wobbly, and pulled it from the UK saying that it was out fault and our loss. Dear dear. Although I am getting another zebdi soon, they do ride nice.

My Planet-X experience was...

I bought a MK1 Zebdi which had a life time warranty which covered the disc mount (crazy I know). I was running a rear disc on the bike and it ripped the disc tabs off my frame. So I e-mailed Planet-X to get a replacement. First of all I was told that the rear disc mount wasn't covered (they did actually drop that part of the warranty on the later frames) and I should just use a rear maggie like 99% of other trials riders were doing at the time. I told him The disc mount was covered when I bought the frame. He offered to fix my frame and weld new drop outs onto it or I could pay £100 and get a brand New MK4 frame. I knew he had no intention of fixing my frame and I didn't want to pay £100 for a new one so I called his bluff and sent the frame off to him to be fixed. I then got an E-mail from him saying that he was just going to send me a MK4 which I knew would happen.

To be honest I was a bit of a twat to Brant but I just wanted people to know he tried to get another £100 out of me for a new frame. I've got no hard feelings towards him and I really did appreciate the great warranty of Planet-X back in the day.