Anybody Know What Good V Brakes Are Around?

SquidBrella

No i don't know a good vee brake bout if you have vee mounts get an evo 2 mount's and a 2'nd hand Maggie off the forum when you get validated it will probably work out cheaper as the only good vee brake is the avid ultimate and that is £ 92 off tarty.

Danny (Y)

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good V brake? I don't want to spend to much but I don't mind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

hiya,it's not so much about which v brakes you have, it' more to do with how you set them up and which pads/grind you go for.I run vees on my pashley and everyone who rides it says the brakes are awesome.I've got a light grind on the back with plasmatic (can't remember exactly which ones right now but they are yellow) pads and on the front no grind with spanish fly pads.I'm only a trials newbie so still perfecting my bike but i'm also a old cytech qualified cycle mechanic so i know what i'm on about.oh yeah my vees are avid 5's and my levers are shimano (deore back,xt front)

hiya,it's not so much about which v brakes you have, it' more to do with how you set them up

Totally agree! As an ex cycle mechanic, a cheap v set up very well with a good pad, will out perform almost anything that has been set up badly. . . . .

Edited by dc13

I've got a XT on the back and some cheap copy on the front, i spent a couple more quid than usual on some decent cables, some Ashima (spelling?) clear trials pads for the rear and took my time setting them up, cleaned my rims up good with some degreaser and they work a treat now.

I also cut up some old innertube and wrapped it round my levers, makes it more comfortable riding without gloves (Y)

Before I bought maggies for my bike I was using Promax levers & Vuelta V calipers. & I found its more important to have strong levers because I tried shimano levers on for a change & they weren't good, they made my brakes spongey. good strong levers is the secret for trustable V brakes

No i don't know a good vee brake bout if you have vee mounts get an evo 2 mount's and a 2'nd hand Maggie off the forum when you get validated it will probably work out cheaper as the only good vee brake is the avid ultimate and that is £ 92 off tarty.

Danny (Y)

well thats not true....

Id say some sd7/5 arms, plaz pads, odyssey linear slic kable, sd7/xtr lever

Hey man,

I used to run an XTR V brake with a cheap Avid lever, was an amazing brake. I personally feel that it was much better than any evo mount magura. I think the XTR brake is rather pricey brand new, but if you can find one second hand i really dont think you can go wrong. The V brake that i had has now been through 4 of my friends and its still going strong! In fact i think i might look around for another myself, i miss running a front V it was a much simpler time! lol :D

I ran an Avid Ultimate on my mod a while ago, and I wasn't impressed. I kept snapping springs and the plates the springs sit in for adjustment. The adjuster screw threads kept stripping, and it was generally a pain!

Don't let that put you off though, see if anyone else has had problems first. Don't just judge it on one bad comment, like a lot of people on here do.