Front Wheel Weight.

This will probs get shut, but hey. My front wheel the stock onza one (not drilled etc) is heavy IMO. It comes in at a whopping 770g. Nearly 1kg :o, is this normal to have one so heavy?

ohh and its drilled with a 9 or 10mm drill bit.

EDIT: This is without tyre and tube, but incl's rimtape.

Edited by Jack Chinnery

My front wheel, a deore hub, onza hogs drilled rim, creepy tyre and mono trial rotor comes to 1.489 KG. No tyre and it still 801 grams, no tyre and rotor is 660 grams. Not far off from yours.

Edited by weirdoku

I cut my front rim down to single wall, which made a lot of difference to the weight! Also cut off every other side tread on my front tyre, makes it grip better, feels nicer, and it's lighter. :P Makes the tyre feel bouncier?

I cut my front rim down to single wall, which made a lot of difference to the weight! Also cut off every other side tread on my front tyre, makes it grip better, feels nicer, and it's lighter. :P Makes the tyre feel bouncier?

Haha, I/we :shifty: am/are half way through making it single wall. So when you spin the wheel it slows and then rocks on the haevyer half of the rim :P.

My front wheel weighs 629g. 731g with rotor and bolts, and 1282g with tyre, tube and rimtape :)

My rear wheel weighs 903g. 1032g with rotor and bolts (damn long bolts and standard rotor), and 2048g with tyre, tube and rimtape.

I'm awaiting my frame tomorrow, should be about 7.931kg if the weight I've been told is correct, but will find out definitely tomorrow :)

My front wheel weighs 629g. 731g with rotor and bolts, and 1282g with tyre, tube and rimtape :)

My rear wheel weighs 903g. 1032g with rotor and bolts (damn long bolts and standard rotor), and 2048g with tyre, tube and rimtape.

I'm awaiting my frame tomorrow, should be about 7.931kg if the weight I've been told is correct, but will find out definitely tomorrow :)

What frame was it your getting Jon, I dont think it was announced was it?

Really?

Rim is 314g, hub is 136g, bolts are 21g, spokes are 148g, nipples are 10g, rotor is 88g, bolts are 14g, tube is 130g, rim tape is 3g and tyre is 418g. Guess if I went with some ti bits and bobs it would be lighter :(

Oh and I've got my rear hub down to 381g now thanks to ti bolts and lighter washers :P

Edited by JonMack

Don't you run a rim brake, Ed?

Bah rumbled!!!!! :(

All about Mono lightweights and thin Mavics with DB spokes if you want to play that game ;)

Yeah, and you have double butted spokes, I'm running nice plain gauge white trialtech spokes :P sure if I went to some nice DB spokes I'd drop some g's!

That would be the mono hub, mavic xc717, radial sapim DB spokes, mountainking supersonic, maxxis flyweight tube and pvc tape rim tape :D

Can hardly be a competition though because your wheel is smaller than mine :)