Gentlemen....car Buffs...

-RoBBo-

There not 15K any more.

Audi RS2, 67k, £15k

Also, are you denying 4.6 seconds to 60 for a fully loaded estate car is slow or something ? And that 163mph is not enough for the UK's roads ?

I love how you take on a lawyer-y tone when trying to make a point :)

4.6 seconds is quick for 15 year old car, but these days it's about the same as any 4x4 rally saloon. It's not exceptional. 163mph is also excessive for UK roads, ergo pointless.

And that the RS2's aren't an amazing handling car ? I've never driven one...

The defense rests...

If you put an RS2 up against a Boxster it would have it for breakfast I think, look at the performance figures.

Let's have a look, shall we?

Audi RS2. 0-60 4.8 secs according to Audi, and onto 163mph

Porsche Boxster S 5.6 secs 0-60 and onto 164mph

On the drag strip then, the RS2 might have an advantage due to higher grip. However the Porsche counters with lower weight (1356Kg vs 1595Kg) and a weight distribution where the engine is in the optimum place.

As we're looking for first hand evidence here, let's turn to the boys at Evo magazine who reviewed an RS2 recently:

"In these wet conditions the RS2 is still a hugely effective ground-coverer. Manage the understeer, use the power wisely and it feels neat, tidy and devastatingly effective. However, this car’s dampers haven’t stood the test of time as well as some of the others here (having said that, it has covered 109,000 miles) and the constant jiggling and occasional crash sets the whole structure on edge, like a huge tuning-fork.

Barker was an RS2 advocate, but even he feels the big estate may be slightly out of its depth here: ‘The odo shows 109K, and disappointingly it feels it, with clonky suspension in particular. The clutch is heavy, the gearshift slightly vague, but underneath there’s a very secure all-wheel-drive chassis.’ Green feels the same. ‘No problem in terms of what it does, but it’s the least exciting car here, the least involving I suppose.’ Hayman, a man who hates understeer as much as no-smoking zones, is less charitable: ‘It’s a great tow car, isn’t it? Horribly dull, though.’ "

Fairy muff, but is he going to be putting it through the same tests as EVO did ? And does it rain all the time in England ? :P

I just think the RS2 is a great car, because of it's space figures and the fact it's a cult car (almost).

Your point about price is a good one, but there are ones for less than 15K which will probably the same story as the one EVO tested. Also, what were the "other" cars EVO were testing ?

The one you showed at 15k is the same one I saw on ebay for 10, and one with the same credentials as the one you have shown will be 100x better.

Edited by Pashley26

Plus you get people suggesting silly mods, like a 400bhp FWD car which physics says can't be handled.

IMO physics says you can, but the engineering to obtain the physics says you can't. Though Ford are getting close.....

But that's beside the point. Problem here is that while Rob has been fairly specific with what he wants (the list of cars also eludes to what he wants out of a car), everyone gets into the mode of trying to suggest what they perceive to be their ideal/coolest car. My comment about the rx7 is that if you want out and out performance, there are many avenues to explore which are cheaper than some of the suggestions previously made, plus you don't need to spend £16k for a good performance car. Buying new IMO is a false economy, if you were to spend £10k you would get a far better deal, whether it was a sports car or a fast hatch and at that amount you shouldn't need to buy any additional mods, so you are left with £6k to spend elsewhere (or £6k less loan etc).

Be very clear on what you want, how much practicality, what you mean by "fast in a straight line", etc etc. It helps to cut down on some of the sillier suggestions.

Out of the cars you have suggested, the only one I have experience of is the Focus ST. It was ok, it covered the miles pretty well though I felt it was a little cumbersome in the corners. Based on your own suggestions, I would throw in an imported DC5 Integra Type-R. Good ones are around the £10k mark and it is a very fun car to drive on b-roads, whilst still having a good boot, space for 4 people and reasonable fuel consumption (30mpg is not unrealistic) when required.

I'd rather have an rx7, but I don't care about practicality or age :P

I hope the above has actually been of some help to you.

Still bet theres nicer looking and better cars out there that are the same price.

Cars arent just about looks and who thinks your cool though... Its about the driving experience, handling, power delivery etc.

Jardos going to shoot me down, but Sierra RS500? :P

For 16k you can get a mental R32, my dad's mate has a standard one which cost him 10k and it was immaculate. You can buy one, get a turbo or supercharger kit installed, then you're laughing! He told me you could get a turbo kit that can take it up to about 500bhp, which I think he said costs about £5k.

snowy likes the idea of rs500!

054C034DF5424425CC6DC842B18A7.jpg

hmmmmmmm my dreamy car.

Dad has owned 2 of them although the diff kept pinging on them!

That's going back some years!

Back then yerr nice cars, don't know why you'd want one now?

Personally if I had the choice to buy a new car again, i'd get what I could for my money.

I wouldn't bother looking at buying a 5 year old Porsche, chucking this and that to make it quicker and blah.

If it was that easy and the thing to do, why isn't everyone driving round in them?

I could trade mine in and buy an older car which in some people's view would be classy, but then i'd be going for an older car, more miles, more owners and i'd look like a cock cause i'm trying to be something i'm not.

Edited by Nuke Bowel

more miles, more owners and i'd look like a cock cause i'm trying to be something i'm not.

Not true at all!

There's an rx7 (yes I know :P) for sale. 3rd off the production line and only 5000miles on it and two owners...

I don't see the point in spending more money just because it's available, spend what you need to get the car you want, don't get the car that spends all the money you have.

Not true at all!

There's an rx7 (yes I know :P ) for sale. 3rd off the production line and only 5000miles on it and two owners...

I don't see the point in spending more money just because it's available, spend what you need to get the car you want, don't get the car that spends all the money you have.

Why would I do that though when I could trade mine in for an RX 8? :P

You can take the boy out of essex.....

Its just the most beautiful car, clean lines, nice good olde spoiler! and quickish to boot, would also be the best car to mod up and be propper BO! plus my Dads worked at fords for like 30 years now so gotta stay true to your roots. True bit of motoring history that car!

Why would I do that though when I could trade mine in for an RX 8? :P

The 7 is a faster car (stock for stock) and while the 8 has a stiffer chassis, the suspension on the 7 is also better making it a better drive. The 8 is a damn good car, I prefer the 7 myself, but this isn't really what this thread is about, I was merely pointing out that buying an older car doesn't instantly mean more miles and owners as you suggested.

Its just the most beautiful car, clean lines, nice good olde spoiler! and quickish to boot, would also be the best car to mod up and be propper BO! plus my Dads worked at fords for like 30 years now so gotta stay true to your roots. True bit of motoring history that car!

It's a great car don't get me wrong, they don't come cheap though :(

Ah right, has your dad mentioned any problems known with the diff, cause we had terrible trouble, was going in once every 6 weeks to Ford at the time!

The 7 is a faster car (stock for stock) and while the 8 has a stiffer chassis, the suspension on the 7 is also better making it a better drive. The 8 is a damn good car, I prefer the 7 myself, but this isn't really what this thread is about, I was merely pointing out that buying an older car doesn't instantly mean more miles and owners as you suggested.

Fair point and it's been accepted!

sorry! (:

After reading all of that...it's just made me want to get the bus!

After some helpful advice, i feel i should give more of a detailed in-sight into what i actually need/want from a car....

-I live about 2 miles away from my work....so long commutes are not an issue

-As i've said, I dont particularly want and old car, simply due to the fact they require more maintenance & time spent on them (which i do not have alot of)...although an Intergrale would do nicely :P

-I dont want a car to show off like a poser in,thats not me (so that rules the shitty boxsters out), I just want a new/clean looking/smart car...but that has some reasonable performance to go with it.

-Basically, I just want it for them times when im driving between places and can make them abit more fun, but also if i want to go out for a drive, ive got something that i know is not going to be a slouch/bore!

-The idea of a M3/porka/bugatti veyron is stupid, because sod paying the running costs/insurance for them at age of 20.

i've decided to cap my spending at £10,000 now..maybe £11,000 if its really worth it.

always had a soft spot for clio trophy's though.....and i respect cars such as the Honda DC5...but without meaning to sound racist...(where i live, I would look like a take-away delivery man)

Edit: now looking at Type R....

Edited by -RoBBo-

I wouldn't bother looking at buying a 5 year old Porsche, chucking this and that to make it quicker and blah.

If it was that easy and the thing to do, why isn't everyone driving round in them?

Not everyone has £10,000's to spend or is a car person..?

Yeah I've never seen any take away drivers in these matt? Haha I know what you mean before you get cocky ;)

By the way, I'm home this weekend, so I shall give you a buzz for a pint or something, has been a while!