How Do I Attach A Rim To A Hub?

Hi, i am thinking of getting some new rims to put on my spare hubs i've got. What tool/tool's do i need, and how easy is it?

cheers, Jack

Easy, all you need is some super glue and a hammer.

Hi, i am thinking of getting some new rims to put on my spare hubs i've got. What tool/tool's do i need, and how easy is it?

cheers, Jack

Well you will need the right length spokes for the rim and the hub firstly (ring up Tartybikes to find out what length that is, and then you can order them on the phone).

Then you will need a spoke key, and maybe look at a wheel building guide?

Hope i helped (Y)

Edited by Horndean Trials

Well you will need the right length spokes for the rim and the hub firstly (ring up Tartybikes to find out what length that is, and then you can order them on the phone).

Then you will need a spoke key, and maybe look at a wheel building guide?

Hope i helped (Y)

Thanks i have all the stuff i need know.

Cheers, Jack

Hi, just thinking about this and don't i need a jig to keep the wheel strait?

Cheers, Jack

When building it, put EXACTLY the same amount of turns on each nipple. That waym whilst building, it'll stay relatively straight. Get all the spokes tight-ish, whack the wheel in your bike and make some final touches/tightens/trues.

Easy, all you need is some super glue and a hammer.

ha ha ha love it.

Hi, just thinking about this and don't i need a jig to keep the wheel strait?

Cheers, Jack

You are going to need to make sure that your wheel is round and true. Also are you going to dish it to one side or the other? I would take it to a shop and ask them to build it. It will cost you about £15-30.

Edited by siyross

ha ha ha love it.

You are going to need to make sure that your wheel is round and true. Also are you going to dish it to one side or the other? I would take it to a shop and ask them to build it. It will cost you about £15-30.

Theres no point paying someone money to do it when you can do it yourself in less than an hour. Follow OnzaBoyMark's tutorial, its pretty simple once you get your head around it.

Theres no point paying someone money to do it when you can do it yourself in less than an hour. Follow OnzaBoyMark's tutorial, its pretty simple once you get your head around it.

Absolutely. The first set of rims I built for my stock are still going strong and true. Not hard at all. Although my first rim took me more than an hour to complete, but I am including time on the truing stand. Second wheel was a snap.

Ben's post (and the wiki article) about turning each spoke the same amount until they start to tighten up works great too. Makes truing a breeze.

I sort of agree, but there are limits. Someone who doesn't even know what tools he needs is unlikely to be able to build a good wheel that will last. I started off learning how to straighten wheels. Once you're comfortable with that, you can move on to lacing (pretty straightforward) and tensioning (difficult to get right). If you just try and dive in and build your own with no experience then you're gonna run into problems and it'll work out more expensive in the long-term.

I agree to the extent if you are comfortable doing it but, if you are unsure get a shop to do it. Yeah it'll cost you a bit but it will be a good wheel build. I laced mine up and started to tension then decided to let the shop finish it for me and it cost me a £5.

You'll need to look up a wheel building guide due to the complicated positioning of the spokes, and also you will need to get the correct length spokes ( Go down to your local bike shop and they should hook you up ) You need a spoke key and I would recommend a truing stand because if u over tighten a spoke or two this will make the wheel untrue. But with a truing stand just put your wheel in and get tightening. If your wheel is untrue in one spot It's easily indicated by the rim rubbing on one side of the stand, The side that It's bent to, loosen that spoke a little bit nd tighten the opposite side up. This all worked perfect for me so have fun and good luck !

Edited by brad1995