Euthanasia.

Hannah Shucksmith

Euthanasia rules!

I think its right, If you want to like die and you trapped in a body thats paralised and you cant do f**k all, Atleast you know when its going to happen and you get a chance to say bye to everbody poroperly, But you have to travel to Switzerland i think because its illegal here.

Edited by Connor Powell

God, there i gonna be a MASSIVE debate now lol.

But personally, if someone wants to end their life because it is either going to end in a painful way at some point in the close or distant future, then it is their choice, but by no means should they throw their life away if it is not necessary.

So yeah, if people are in extreme pain and are going to have that pain until they die, or their life isn't worth living because of an incurable disease/disorder, then i don't see a problem with it, as long as they have talked with a counselor (sp?) and their family and friends before making the decision.

Sam :D

But personally, if someone wants to end their life because it is either going to end in a painful way at some point in the close or distant future, then it is their choice, but by no means should they throw their life away if it is not necessary.

So yeah, if people are in extreme pain and are going to have that pain until they die, or their life isn't worth living because of an incurable disease/disorder, then i don't see a problem with it, as long as they have talked with a counselor (sp?) and their family and friends before making the decision.

Apart form the part in bold. I beleive they wuold of thought it through in there mind so much, but they should tell there family that they are going to switzerland, other wise its not fair on them.

As a principle, I disagree, there are too many laws to preserve human life, it would contravene almost all of them. you will never be able to prove that a person is in sound mind and able to make a decision of that magnitude, it's just a legal minefield and too many people are at risk.

However, everyone has the right to die and I respect the fact that you should be able to choose when it ends.

if i was in that much pain, not able to live, stuck in a room hooked up to shit loads of machines keeping me ticking pointlessly away. i would like the option to be able to end it!

So in the right context i think its definitely a good thing

I think that you should be allowed to decide when to end your life, only when it's sanctioned by a doctor though.

There are too many laws that can get in the way though, who would administer the leathel injection? Technically they're ending you're life, so a load of laws would need re-writing in order for it to work.

What if they can't talk, what if they can't move, so they can't purposefully express their feelings and needs through speech or movement? Then what?

Every person retains the right to refuse a treatment recommended by a doctor, even when terminally ill and when such refusal could effectively be viewed as suicide. Doctors are able to aid passive euthanasia (withdrawing a patient’s medical treatment with the deliberate intention of causing the patients death) and may withhold treatment, yet it is illegal to perform active euthanasia (using specific methods to cause the patient’s death, for example, injecting the patient with a fatal poison.) Problems with particular patients may arise; the patient at hand may eventually become so ill that they can no longer communicate effectively, or in a worse scenario, become mentally incompetent.

It is, of course, impossible to forecast what would happen if the change of law concerning euthanasia was introduced, the consequences of a legalisation of euthanasia could be profound, but it is expected that only a small majority of people would request the process of assisted suicide to be completed upon them and many other people would be greatly reassured that the option of assisted suicide would be available if their condition were to become entirely unbearable later on. However, the prediction that a small amount of people would request the act of euthanasia to be used on them could be entirely inaccurate based around the fact that when abortion was legalised it was predicted that it would be requested by a small number of females, when infact, the amount of abortions performed proved to be far higher than first anticipated.

Euthanasia is a complex issue; there are incredible amounts of pros and cons towards legalising euthanasia. Giving people the choice between living and dying when suffering would lead to people having greater autonomy over each individual’s lives and give patients suffering from terminal illnesses a chance to avoid great pain, great emotional distress and great suffering. However, euthanasia begins the degradation of murder and opens up the possibility of erosion in the system of deciding if a person had been ‘murdered’ or ‘assisted in suicide.’

On compassionate grounds it could be considered that an individual should be able to make his or hers own decisions, it should be our duty that if a person chooses to commit suicide to avoid pain, yet are incapable of acting out their wishes, we should help them, if all other options have been explored, and still exhausted, if the pain the person is suffering cannot be adequately controlled then it is obvious that the most humane thing to do would be to allow the suffering person to die if that is what they wish.

Isnt euthanasia a little similar to DNR?

Not really.

DNR only comes into effect if the patient, during the course of an operation/treatment/whatever would otherwise die and has chosen that if this happens the doctors must not intervene and resuscitate them. Euthanasia is the choice of a patient who feels that their own standard of living is such that they want to be helped to die through lethal injection or whatever. Don't know if that explains it in the slightest but meh!

Isnt euthanasia a little similar to DNR?

No, that only concerns people on deaths door.

This concerns otherwise 'healthy' people, who feel their illness/condition/disability is too great fro them to bear. Full body paralasis, Multiple Sclerocis, etc.

What if they can't talk, what if they can't move, so they can't purposefully express their feelings and needs through speech or movement? Then what?

Every person retains the right to refuse a treatment recommended by a doctor, even when terminally ill and when such refusal could effectively be viewed as suicide. Doctors are able to aid passive euthanasia (withdrawing a patient’s medical treatment with the deliberate intention of causing the patients death) and may withhold treatment, yet it is illegal to perform active euthanasia (using specific methods to cause the patient’s death, for example, injecting the patient with a fatal poison.) Problems with particular patients may arise; the patient at hand may eventually become so ill that they can no longer communicate effectively, or in a worse scenario, become mentally incompetent.

It is, of course, impossible to forecast what would happen if the change of law concerning euthanasia was introduced, the consequences of a legalisation of euthanasia could be profound, but it is expected that only a small majority of people would request the process of assisted suicide to be completed upon them and many other people would be greatly reassured that the option of assisted suicide would be available if their condition were to become entirely unbearable later on. However, the prediction that a small amount of people would request the act of euthanasia to be used on them could be entirely inaccurate based around the fact that when abortion was legalised it was predicted that it would be requested by a small number of females, when infact, the amount of abortions performed proved to be far higher than first anticipated.

Euthanasia is a complex issue; there are incredible amounts of pros and cons towards legalising euthanasia. Giving people the choice between living and dying when suffering would lead to people having greater autonomy over each individual’s lives and give patients suffering from terminal illnesses a chance to avoid great pain, great emotional distress and great suffering. However, euthanasia begins the degradation of murder and opens up the possibility of erosion in the system of deciding if a person had been ‘murdered’ or ‘assisted in suicide.’

On compassionate grounds it could be considered that an individual should be able to make his or hers own decisions, it should be our duty that if a person chooses to commit suicide to avoid pain, yet are incapable of acting out their wishes, we should help them, if all other options have been explored, and still exhausted, if the pain the person is suffering cannot be adequately controlled then it is obvious that the most humane thing to do would be to allow the suffering person to die if that is what they wish.

Ask them, Do you want to carry on living or do euthanaisia? Blink twice for yes, Once for no.

If its euthanasia in the sane mind of "I'm in lots of pain, and as paralysed I don't have the same aspirations in life, please for the love and sake of the family will you put me at ease?", Then I have absolutely no problem at all with it.

When it then steps into the situation of a murder cover-up, just because someone doesn't want to care for someone any more, then I obviously have a problem with it.

I think its good that it is illegal here yet perfectly legal in Switzerland, as it lowers the possibility of someone wanting to use euthanasia as an excuse to kill off an old or frail relative.

Well we do it to our animals when they are in pain and most of us consider them a part of the family......I think it should be like that with humans also.....if you want it you should have it

Simples

Bang on (Y)

It should be no different for animals and humans.

What's kids in China got to do with anything?

But seriously; I don't think its a matter of being 'like a vegetable' when you want to die - I'm sure the point of euthanasia is that they will supply the means, however you must do it - if someone else does it then that is murder. Inability to talk, move or communicate would void you as being unable to make a sound judgement and I assume it will be denied.

I have no problem with euthanasia; however I wouldn't encourage it.