Korean Nuclear Missile Test?

Connor Powell

Saw it on the news last night, Seems the Koreans are streets ahead in the technology department, I find it slightly worrying that they are testing these Missiles that can cause massive destruction, and there are no other countries with a missile that cant compete with the Koreans missile.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

They've been testing weapons for years and years. I'm no more worried now than I was then.

And anyway, if they had the capability to even hit the UK and carried it out, you'd never now. You'll be tucked up in bed whilst you, your family, friends and anything you ever cared about is completely.wiped.out.

...I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

and there are no other countries with a missile that cant compete with the Koreans missile.

From the BBC:

Defence officials in Russia say it was an explosion of up to 20 kilotons, making it comparable to the American bombs that flattened Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

So it's taken the 60 odd years to catch us/ America up. I'm sure we've developed our nukes by now.

More worrying is that they could sell these missiles to terrorist groups who won't use them as detterents.

Unless they get it from elsewhere...or have been running it for ages...I can't imagine that their reactor has actually produced much plutonium.

OOo...wiki tells me as of 2005ish they had 45kg of Pu (doesn't say whether that's enriched though...), some of which they used in a test in 2006 and 2009 (IE: the other day)..

Looks like they're still way behind in general..It is scary though- wouldn't like to be in South Korea :ermm:

Im 15 and Iv been studying Nuclear physics because it intrigues me and Iv seen footage of these bombs and they are absolutly crazy shot from secret submarines, from woodlands, out of random areas and I have noticed that they are really accurate, I am also amazed at the Tsar bomb, Hiroshima bombs and the Nuclear accident in Chernobyl which is ukraine in 1986 and because of high levels of radiation the town of pripyat is now deserted.

Im 15 and Iv been studying Nuclear physics because it intrigues me and Iv seen footage of these bombs and they are absolutly crazy shot from secret submarines, from woodlands, out of random areas and I have noticed that they are really accurate, I am also amazed at the Tsar bomb, Hiroshima bombs and the Nuclear accident in Chernobyl which is ukraine in 1986 and because of high levels of radiation the town of pripyat is now deserted.

it's not really the bomb itself here...its the way they can fit it onto a long range missile that's impressive... When you say you've been studying nuclear physics, it kinda sounds like you've been on youtube! Wikipedia has some really good articles- but most of the thermonuclear/bomb stuff is still not available and the stuff you find is likely to just be someone's good guesswork..

Saw it on the news last night, Seems the Koreans are streets ahead in the technology department, I find it slightly worrying that they are testing these Missiles that can cause massive destruction, and there are no other countries with a missile that cant compete with the Koreans missile.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'm assuming there wasn't supposed to be a double negative in there, but you seriously must be a complete and utter fool if you don't think the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, France, Germany, China, India and Italy don't all have their own nuclear arsenal's with ten times the destructive force of whatever Mr Kim is building in Korea.

And plus, two reason's its very unlikely those weapons will ever be used.

1. M.A.D

2. August 6th, 1945

The only time I can ever see a nuclear strike ever actually being deployed within the next 100 years, would be if a terrorist faction gained the capability to do it. Pretty much all governments are too chicken shit scared to use them now, preferring instead to send thousands of people to their deaths on battlefields instead.

Rich

I'm not worried... if anyone nukes us, firstly, you'll be vapourised, so you won't know about it, and secondly they'll get the shit bombed out of them. And thus, the whole world will end.

I'm just curious as to where they test them. Nuclear missiles have a fallout, so it has to be somewhere far off, but it's still dangerous to the environment and to people, because fallout travels.

I'm assuming there wasn't supposed to be a double negative in there, but you seriously must be a complete and utter fool if you don't think the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, France, Germany, China, India and Italy don't all have their own nuclear arsenal's with ten times the destructive force of whatever Mr Kim is building in Korea.

Exactly, so part of me thinks, meh everyone else seems to have them why can't Korea?

On the other hand I think they are much more likley to use them in attackk because they really dont have anything to lose.

I'm not worried... if anyone nukes us, firstly, you'll be vapourised, so you won't know about it, and secondly they'll get the shit bombed out of them. And thus, the whole world will end.

You should watch 'threads' (it was made in the 80's I think) - basically a documentary/film about a nuclear bomb landing on the UK. Scared the shit out of loads of school kids when it was made apparently.... a pretty strange thing to watch but not bad if you have a couple of hours to waste.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488

(oh, and the point of this post was to say, we wouldn't all just vapourise immediately, only those who are closeish.. the rest of us would take a while to die)