Plastic Pedals

zoster

hi!

strangely enough, there isn't a thread on this topic (or it doesn't have the right name), so there you go: what do you think about plastic pedals? are they as grippy as standard alu pedals with steel pins (like V8s for ex). any other advantages besides weight (and maybe price and looks)? how do they work in wet conditions? etc..

thanks

EDIT:

i just saw there are some plastic pedals with steel pins on the market, but i was referring to the usual ones, with plastic pins

Edited by zoster

I'm still waiting for Odyssey JCPC's. The pedal is held together by the bolts that then become the pins, so I would imagine they're almost impossible to lose. Also they're just on bushings, not bearings, so they're apparently stronger.

hi!

strangely enough, there isn't a thread on this topic (or it doesn't have the right name), so there you go: what do you think about plastic pedals? are they as grippy as standard alu pedals with steel pins (like V8s for ex). any other advantages besides weight (and maybe price and looks)? how do they work in wet conditions? etc..

thanks

EDIT:

i just saw there are some plastic pedals with steel pins on the market, but i was referring to the usual ones, with plastic pins

Save yourself some cash... http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=7787

I blagged my lil' sisters plastic pedals they were small and they gave me really bad cramps in the bottom of my feet :P

i get that with VP trials pedals. lol.

i would think, looking at the way i treat pedals, that plastic pedals would die quickly. i see people come in to the shop i work at with broken pedals off of a 3 week old MTN bike.

Though some people may bitch and moan... I've found Odyssey Twisted PCs to be very very grippy. I'm using Nike SB Dunks, so it should be grippy on other similar soles too.

Also, I quite like the funny look of Twisteds, and they're relatively cheap. The bearings are fine, as is the axle, so no issues there. Just don't do a lot of pedal-stall moves...

pretty cool, but it does not look really grippy :sick:

did you try it?

Yer purple pedals now if gusset did metal puyrple pedals i,d have a set straight away,

But plastic ....na...they'd more than likely break or slip and break your foot...

.... why?

EDIT: Insert pic of my trials bike

I dunno I just have it burnt in to my head that metal pin grips are better than plastic

I don't even know where I have got this from lol

Edited by Mtchell

I have the A-bike Hamiltons and the Oddesy twisted on my bmxs, both are grippy and strong and I have been thinking about trying them on my trials bike as well. If you do get some go for the hamiltons, the pins are bigger and more defined so you get more grip.

pretty cool, but it does not look really grippy :sick:

did you try it?

Knurled body, good concave and sharper pins than any other plastic pedals around. I ran them for a few months.

Yer purple pedals now if gusset did metal puyrple pedals i,d have a set straight away,

But plastic ....na...they'd more than likely break or slip and break your foot...

Factually inaccurate ;)

I have the A-bike Hamiltons and the Oddesy twisted on my bmxs, both are grippy and strong and I have been thinking about trying them on my trials bike as well. If you do get some go for the hamiltons, the pins are bigger and more defined so you get more grip.

What he said - they're really good pedals, and again, I've found them to be much, much better than Odysseys.

Knurled body, good concave and sharper pins than any other plastic pedals around. I ran them for a few months.

What he said - they're really good pedals, and again, I've found them to be much, much better than Odysseys.

you mean you tried them on trials, right, not bmx?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: are plastic pedals less painful enough that you don't need shin pads any more? (this question is for people that would use shin pads with metallic pedals)

Edited by zoster

you mean you tried them on trials, right, not bmx?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: are plastic pedals less painful enough that you don't need shin pads any more? (this question is for people that would use shin pads with metallic pedals)

NO. You bash your shin into a plastic pedal with pins, it's still gonna damage. Plastic may not be as hard as metal, but it's certainly harder than flesh/ skin.

Want less damage, buy pedals with shorter well placed pins.

Also take a look at the Primo Plastic pedals.