Best Laptops For £400

Davetrials

Thought small? I have a Samsung NC10 that seems to run photoshop fine, but I rarely deal with files over 5mb.

The screens a bit pokey for photoshop but it's not too bad, and the battery lasts for about 5.5 hours with the brightness up full and Wifi turned on.

Thought small? I have a Samsung NC10 that seems to run photoshop fine, but I rarely deal with files over 5mb.

The screens a bit pokey for photoshop but it's not too bad, and the battery lasts for about 5.5 hours with the brightness up full and Wifi turned on.

Im really not in to though little dinky things, id rather have somthing with a decent sized screen, and im often editing Files up to 80MB...

So its gotta be quite nippy?

Im really not in to though little dinky things, id rather have somthing with a decent sized screen, and im often editing Files up to 80MB...

So its gotta be quite nippy?

Should do you fine. My mate has it and handles photoshop files of over 200mb no hassle. He has been know to do photoshop renderings up to 1 gb in size. linky

Steve

Id avoid the Atom processor of you want something quick, also 15.4" screen for photo shop. Dont worry about Windows 7, most companies will be doing a free upgrade system for people that purchased machines between the end of july and october.

Ah didn't know that, make sure you get the free upgrade system Dave!

I'd also avoid the Atom if you will be working on PS files that big, I can have about 2 or 3 5-10mb ones open before it starts lagging.

I don't think you'd need a 15.4 though, just a 1280 resolution or wider. There are some 14"s that have a 1400ish wide screen I think?

Vista really is shite though, my mate has a brand new laptop with a dual core processor and 3gb of ram, and it's slower than my NC10 with XP.

Make sure you upgrade to 7 Dave, you'll see the difference.

What are the dell ones like?

The Plague.....

Give me a few minutes to have a bit of a browse will see what i can find.

This isn't to bad(used to work for Acer) and the build quality is pretty good while offering a good spec for sub £400. However you'll take the hit if something goes wrong, the support line isn't fantastic.

As an idea.

Vista really is shite though, my mate has a brand new laptop with a dual core processor and 3gb of ram, and it's slower than my NC10 with XP.

Make sure you upgrade to 7 Dave, you'll see the difference.

Slower how? In loading apps it should be faster due to not have a 5 years ago amount of ram, in processing it should be faster because it's not running some toy computer processor and it has the added benefit of the vista prefetching and caching features. The only thing it might be slower at is in graphically intensive applications because you didn't mention his GPU and your's should be able to be powered using a calculator GPU due to the screen being just slightly bigger than a mobile phone :P

My housemate spent £500 on a laptop last year dave from a local high street retailer that had a 2.0ghz processor, 3gb of ram, 17" widescreen, blu ray player, 250gb hard drive etc. So i'd be looking for something along those lines if i were you.

The dell laptops are actually alright value wise due to them buying them in such bulk quantities. Most laptops will be of a similar build/spec for this kind of price range though so it's mostly a case of bundled add ons and manufacturers warranty/replacement schemes as well as which is most aesthetically pleasing.

Also This is pretty good for just over 400. not as good a spec, but the support line is much better(also used to work for tosh). however the L300/350 series has a known issue with power pins breaking(should be sorted in the newer ones though) and the wireless cards not being install when initially turned on, but the drivers are on the hard drive in the toshiba folder.

The dell laptops are actually alright value

Yea but the support line is in India(no offence meant but i can be hard to understand someone hows English is a second language). Also if it goes wrong out of warranty no one will touch it cause everything is glued in or custom. No "stock" parts will fit.

I'm happy with my Del, dual core processor, 2gb ram, running vista but having no speed issues. Bought it a month ago for a little lover $500.

Don't see what the big deal is about vista and the undying need to upgrade to windows 7 - even though it's still a beta (?) and bound to be full of bugs. I don't think it'll really matters to Dave.

My acer was soooo durable, i dropped it like 3 times, and it just broke over the last few months (3 years alter).

Personally, when ever i buy a laptop i always upgrade the warranty. It costs loads, but i'd rather have a cheaper laptop that i know i'm going to be able to use for a couple of years rather than it break after 367 days and be screwed.

The Plague.....

Give me a few minutes to have a bit of a browse will see what i can find.

This isn't to bad(used to work for Acer) and the build quality is pretty good while offering a good spec for sub £400. However you'll take the hit if something goes wrong, the support line isn't fantastic.

As an idea.

That looks pretty sweet.

so far thats winning lol.

Slower how? In loading apps it should be faster due to not have a 5 years ago amount of ram, in processing it should be faster because it's not running some toy computer processor and it has the added benefit of the vista prefetching and caching features. The only thing it might be slower at is in graphically intensive applications because you didn't mention his GPU and your's should be able to be powered using a calculator GPU due to the screen being just slightly bigger than a mobile phone :P

I dunno how, it was just slower all round, like going on the internet, then the mouse cursor lagged moving across the screen all the time.

I installed the software for his camcorder, took several years.

5 years ago amount of ram

toy computer processor

you didn't mention his GPU and your's should be able to be powered using a calculator GPU due to the screen being just slightly bigger than a mobile phone :P

Get f**ked lankyman. :lol: It's an ANIMAL, you know you want one. :P

1gb of 800mhz ram ain't 5 years ago hombre, in netbook terratory thats only like a year ago tops.

Toy computer processor? It has hyperthreading pal, like the new i7s. But I seem to remember you're E1923 or whatever you've got doesn't? :P

Personally, when ever i buy a laptop i always upgrade the warranty. It costs loads, but i'd rather have a cheaper laptop that i know i'm going to be able to use for a couple of years rather than it break after 367 days and be screwed.

Good thing about the UK is we have the sales of goods act... can be a bit of an arse, but for electrical equipment means you basically get a 6 year warranty for any product that has an issue which is not due to physical damage. paying over the odds for an extended warranty isn't worth it to be honest. unless your a student, and likely to spill something on it.... or puke on it(it has happened several times to customers I've spoken to).

Good thing about the UK is we have the sales of goods act... can be a bit of an arse, but for electrical equipment means you basically get a 6 year warranty for any product that has an issue which is not due to physical damage. paying over the odds for an extended warranty isn't worth it to be honest. unless your a student, and likely to spill something on it.... or puke on it(it has happened several times to customers I've spoken to).

Most laptops in the UK come with a one year limited warranty, and it is very limited. I don't know what you're talking about with the 6 year thing.

Extended warranty is worth looking in to, as laptops only have a year, I'd expect to have one for at least a couple of years so i always buy the two year thing. What you're talking about it accidental cover which is what i got with this laptop for a year as when i usually damage a laptop it usually counts as physical damage as i use it so much.

I dunno how, it was just slower all round, like going on the internet, then the mouse cursor lagged moving across the screen all the time.

I installed the software for his camcorder, took several years.

Get f**ked lankyman. :lol: It's an ANIMAL, you know you want one. :P

1gb of 800mhz ram ain't 5 years ago hombre, in netbook terratory thats only like a year ago tops.

Toy computer processor? It has hyperthreading pal, like the new i7s. But I seem to remember you're E1923 or whatever you've got doesn't? :P

1gb of 800mhz? So ddr400? Which is what is sat in my mums 7 year old laptop? :P

Hyperthreading has been around chips from intel for ages, though it's nothing special. Pentium 4's have it FFS ;)

Can you imagine me with a toy that small? It'd look like a palm pilot.... well more than it already does :lol:

1gb of 800mhz? So ddr400? Which is what is sat in my mums 7 year old laptop? :P

Hyperthreading has been around chips from intel for ages, though it's nothing special. Pentium 4's have it FFS ;)

Can you imagine me with a toy that small? It'd look like a palm pilot.... well more than it already does :lol:

I know, my desktop has an HT P4 chip, but you don't have it so I win! :P (Thats such a piss take, take it away then bring it back for the i7s, sounds like marketing bollocks to me.)

Well actually it's limited to 677mhz by the motherboard, but you can put 800mhz in.

Just because you're physically retarded doesn't mean that they're that small. :(

Meh, it does it's job very, very well and it'd one of those rare things thats better than it should be, like the Suzuki SV650, they're better than the sum of their parts. :P

Dell laptops are great as long as you don't play games (all laptops fail at playing games) ours at work took all sorts of abuse before all 6 got stolen >_<.

Don't get anything Atom based if you want photoshop usage. Get something with a Core2 Duo processor avoid anything with an old Pentium 4 cpu and you should be gravy.

Also try get one with a windows 7 upgrade offer.