At Last! Simtra St-1

Muel

Haha, I doubt it mate, they're too flexy and weak!

Although I really fancy trying a front vee, but I wanted to stick with a disc until trying it out, seeing as I would have to change my forks, front wheel and front brake.

Like others have said…the best Simtra ever. Bigman & others had nice ones but this is just so clean with very nice parts. I think it is very silly that people think +20 is too low for a BB. I am positive you could put Gilles or Giaco on one of their original St. Blaise (+0 or 10bb) frames & they would place very well. Simtra's were very popular in 2007, it is good to see fresh build on one.

Yeh I used caustic soda. Next time I need to be careful about leaving it on the rim as I work my way round though, as it dries it forms runs, which start corroding the aluminium.

I reckon having another bucket of fresh water and rinsing each section straight after you've done it would give better results.

Stil, they came out pretty well!

Cheers guys!

I've pinched it once, but it seems to be alright, sidewalls are getting scuffed already though and it's wearing a lot faster than I remember Maxxis tyres wearing. I suppose it's just because I'm used to Conti wear rates, I think I'll be getting a 2.2 rubber queen next.

Yeh I used caustic soda. Next time I need to be careful about leaving it on the rim as I work my way round though, as it dries it forms runs, which start corroding the aluminium.

I reckon having another bucket of fresh water and rinsing each section straight after you've done it would give better results.

Stil, they came out pretty well!

Where did you get it from? and did you buy it in granules and mix with water?

Got a new stem today and checked everything was set-up right, so grabbed a few new pics.

IMGP1438.jpg

IMGP1440.jpg

IMGP1441.jpg

IMGP1443.jpg

IMGP1445.jpg

New stem has made a massive difference, it's harder to lift the front wheel now as it's a fair bit lower, but it's a lot better for taps and sidehops. Still need to experiment with bar angles though.

Took a photo of my cuttings before binning them. :P Pic doesn't show that the mound was actually about 3 inches tall at the highest point.

IMGP1471.jpg

That's from cutting every other side knobble from the tyres, cutting the holes bigger in the front rim and single walling the rear rim.

It's a TartyBikes engraved Pro2 Trials rear hub.

Tom, will catch you on MSN. :P

Edited by Muel

Yeh I'm pretty chuffed with how it's turned out, it really suits me I feel. Just need to keep riding regularly! I havn't ridden at all for about 5 months, but since i built this I've ridden every day. Good start I hope...