Cheap Track / Drag Car Ideas

the_soon_to_be

As you know i have my turbo mini, but got a local event coming up and its not finished.

So i am trying to source a cheap, quick, thrashable car for bit of RWYB etc, was looking at my cousins xe nova but he stitched me up

so what we thinking :

MK2 Golf GTI

106 GTI

Clio 1.8 16v

Fiesta XR2

Nova

In short, need something very veyr cheap, that can handle being ragged and sold on and ditched easy enough, dont mind doing some work, conversions etc but must be quick

Ideas on a post card, or in here

Used to have a Cortina MK2 with V6 in it tuned to f**k.

It was pretty good 1/4 mile car, called spanish fly.

Sold it to a mate and as far as I know it is still just sitting in his barn/garage.

Low 13's I think it did.

Didn't race it myself, turned it into a street sleeper and then run out o cash.

Did f**k all miles to the gallon though, it may have even done gallons to the mile :blink:

Matt

Edit:

Brmmbrrrrrmm.jpg

Edited by Matt Vandart

Iv just sourced a nice Vaxhaul Cavalier 2.5 V6 for pretty cheap...

MOT failure, needs new brake pipes, rear brakes looked at, front wish bone, front suspention bushers have gone on N/S and door sill needs replaced to pass a MOT... But... for £100, im gonna buy it and use it as a Drag car :) hehehe

Metro + 1.8l k-series. Ridiculously cheep, Very easy swap for the solid cam engines. Light, free to lower and stiffen the suspension, surprising handling with a few tweaks. And really surprisingly rapid with a 1.8 in them.

Man speaks truth!

Owen

MK2 Golf 16v...

205 gti,

Used to have a Cortina MK2 with V6 in it tuned to f**k.

Buy a Saab 9000 Turbo.

Is this my que to suggest either an Audi A3 turbo or a Mini?

Metro + 1.8l k-series. Ridiculously cheep, Very easy swap for the solid cam engines. Light, free to lower and stiffen the suspension, surprising handling with a few tweaks. And really surprisingly rapid with a 1.8 in them.

Congrats for suggesting a car you don't own :P

if I were going uber cheap for a track car of sorts, I think it'd be between an E36 325, a 106 gti, or an S13 200SX

Damn: Posted as tori again.....

Edited by Prawny Baby's Baby

240sx?

Cheap as,

parts are soo easy to come by,

then when you get bored of going fast in a straight line, drift.

There's a reason they're so cheap - big end shells!

Is this my que to suggest either an Audi A3 turbo or a Mini?

Congrats for suggesting a car you don't own :P

Well I don't own my car for no reason! There is no finer power to pound whilst still being reliable(ish)! B)

Well I don't own my car for no reason! There is no finer power to pound whilst still being reliable(ish)! B)

Bollocks.

A FPT Carlsson 9K in rough, but mecahnically good cond' is 225BHP and would eat a mk2 GTI. (and will cost -£500)

The other week a 9000 turbo with 315BHP all track day'd up sold on UKS for £350 with a years MOT.

Edited by Pashley26

Bollocks.

A FPT Carlsson 9K in rough, but mecahnically good cond' is 225BHP and would eat a mk2 GTI. (and will cost -£500)

The other week a 9000 turbo with 315BHP all track day'd up sold on UKS for £350 with a years MOT.

Since I can't actually find any specific specs for a 'FPT Carlsson' I can't really comment, but they no doubt weigh considerably more :P

And I'm sure 315bhp cars (of any flavour) don't come up very often for so cheap so I'll write that off as a one off until proven otherwise

But I won't bicker, I'm sure you have more energy for raving about Saabs than I do for VW's :lol:

Buy a Saab 9000 Turbo.

Anybody who says bad things about 9000 Turbo's as track cars clearly hasn't ever ben to a RWYB track day....

And Matt, a V6 Mk2 Tina' with an Essex in it NEVER did low 13's....

I think it did you know, maybe it was low 14's, I'll see if I can dig out the magazine article on it, I never did anything in it mind I found it in a garage in Swansea covered in shit.

Matt

Since I can't actually find any specific specs for a 'FPT Carlsson' I can't really comment, but they no doubt weigh considerably more :P

And I'm sure 315bhp cars (of any flavour) don't come up very often for so cheap so I'll write that off as a one off until proven otherwise

But I won't bicker, I'm sure you have more energy for raving about Saabs than I do for VW's :lol:

I was in a particularly foul mood when I got home from work (hence my strain of angry and point proving posts....)

I'd rather have a Mk2 than a 9K, however the generic Mk2 owners profile is what made me sell all my last ones (among other things).

Great, great cars though

Hmnnn... Sounds more like a cow @ 42 seconds :D

And Gaz, it depends what you want - A track car, or a drag car? On a low budget you can't really have both.

There are exceptions however - an XE Nova with half decent suspension is a track weapon and there's a £500 12 second XE nova build thread on Passionford.