Chains.

Ben H!

Kamels have very little clearance between the chain and the seatstay. They come fitted with an 8 speed wipperman chain or something very similar (or mine did anyhow). Fitting a larger chain like a kool chain may work, but quite often it simply wont fit because the chain rubs on the seatstay which can cause damage to it.

So by all means run the kool chain if you want to but be aware of the rubbing. Failing that I've always used Wipperman 808 chains in preference to kool chains on all my trials bikes, and in this case rubbing should not be an issue.

Kamels have very little clearance between the chain and the seatstay. They come fitted with an 8 speed wipperman chain or something very similar (or mine did anyhow). Fitting a larger chain like a kool chain may work, but quite often it simply wont fit because the chain rubs on the seatstay which can cause damage to it.

So by all means run the kool chain if you want to but be aware of the rubbing. Failing that I've always used Wipperman 808 chains in preference to kool chains on all my trials bikes, and in this case rubbing should not be an issue.

Thanks, i was going to order myself another Monty chain, but only Trials-uk have it in stock (no way am i ordering from them), i have ordered one of these to try out.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...p;category_id=7

The Kool chain comes in 1/8th and 3/32" sizes. Get 3/32" if there's a clearance issue as it's not as wide, hence the size listed.

The 510HX is a 1/8th chain by the way.

[edit]

I also can't see anybody would spend £15 on a 510HX. They're not £15 good, only £10 good. (Y)

Edited by eskimo

Do what i've done on my neon then, stick a little piece of rubber/tyre where it would rub :)

Then just change it if/when it wears through the rubber :)

Saves your frame and you can have a kmc kool :P

I guess it's a bit late now but i'll have my say.

I rode a Sram PC-1 Nickel once and it was great. It actually lasted longer than KMC 810, being amasingly lighter. Also it's rather cheap. I got it for 8 GBP.

Now I decided to ride it again.

16896_1_sram_pc_1_kette_fuer_.jpg

330 g

Edited by Dan S

Cheers Lads. i'm going to repair my Monty chain because it has just popped off the pin & bent the outer part slightly which is fixable, & i will keep my new one as a spair, no harm in keeping a spair!

That is not fixable. It will just blow out again.

NO, keep your old one as a spair, bin it, please.

Jesus man.... Just get a 3/32" Kool.

Thank god someone agreed.

If you can't run a normal singlespeed chain, the strongest 9sp chain that I have ever used is a YBN one, it is so strong that I broke two chain tools removing it from my old frame.

link

Breaking a chain tool doesn't mean a chain's strong. I broke a tool putting a half-link on, which then - somewhat irritatingly - snapped about 10 minutes later. Most YBN chains are cheaper, poorer quality versions of actual branded chains.

KMC510HXs are pretty f**king swish, and you should be able to pick it up for less than the £15 someone mentioned before. The Kool/710/710SL's never really lasted all that long for me. They just stretch and stretch, and with the SL version that just means they snap even faster. Fully not keen on them. A chain isn't somewhere you should be trying to save weight.

I use a Kool, always have, always will. With a split link.

How often do you replace yours?

I'm pondering whether to return to KMC Kools from KHE Collapse chains for a bit of weight saved. I've never broken a KHE, just had to throw them out due to cracked rollers and/or stiff links. I have however broken several Kools...