The Dark Lord Rides! (antitron 4)

sayshell

because I need a bike that can do both. I contacted every frame manufacturer in the world and offered them 5-10000$ and none would even consider it. So looks like I will have to learn how to weld my self hahaha.

Danny Mac seems to do it fine.

You can't ever blame a bike for not being able to do a style of riding, afterall the trials scene in the UK was started on 26" cross country bikes.

A bmxer I know got into trials, bought himself a T-Pro, he could air quarters like a beast, flowed it into sidehops and other bits like that, so never is a bike non versatile, it just depends how much of a poof the rider is.

I have to say I'm impressed by your manual control. Having tried to ride a mod as BMX myself I know how much of a bitch they are.

The video on the other hand did little for me. I disliked the music and the head banging, and I found the lack of variation irritating just as a TGS video is. I think if you'd done more of those lines on more interesting obstacles, rather than many clips on the flat/curb height it would have helped.

As for your wish for a hybrid bike, I think you should really reconsider. The riding you're showcasing in that video really is pure BMX. If thats what you want to do then really just give BMX a second chance. I've had a couple of BMXs over the years, and always came to the conclusion that I suited the trials bike more even when I rode mod. More recently I bought another BMX to give it a final chance, modern BMX geometry is much more suited to a trials way of life and I'm pleased to say I'm really getting on with it. Its a very different way to ride and its taken me weeks to get my head around it, but now I have things just work so much better.

Riding a proper BMX will really improve your street technique as well. In the video you are using lots of bitch kicks to make your spins work, something thats easy with trials gearing, but try that on BMX gearing and it wont work. This mean you have to learn to do it properly, and once transfered back to a trials bike will look smoother and more stylish.

If you insist on riding a trials bike, then I think you would be more suited to a different bike. The biggest difference in feel between a BMX and a mod is the stem+bars. Try putting a bmx stem + bars on a mod and it really rides like a BMX. Awesome to bunny hop and spin, horrible to back hop. Put trials bars on a bmx and it will feel like a mod. I've tried both, it really does.

Whilst I was trying this I also wanted a hybrid bmx/mod, so I had a stem made up to use with riser bars to give a compromise between BMX and trials stem geometry. The outcome? It sucks. I couldn't ride bmx on it any better than the trials bike, and I could barely ride trials better than on the bmx! The best compromise I found was simply riding one of the 2000/2005 Monty's, in full trials set-up but with smooth rim brake and hard tire pressures, which is pretty much what the lad from 26twenty did.

Obviously its you're riding and you're life, do what you want. I just think its a shame to be so stubborn and not open the idea of different bikes. I don't think you should 'just buy a bmx' like many will say, it's a line thats been said to me very often on here, BUT I do think you should reconsider your bike set-up. Would you be better with a BMX to supplement your trials bike? would you be better with a Monty? Would you be much better with a 24" trials bikes thats a much better BMX/trials hybrid than a 20" will ever be?

I will try to break this down. sorry for the 10 page essay but I really don't think people are listening.

first point I agree but I need some changes on my bike. Hopping down stuff scares me because I expect my frame to snap and it deterrs me from trying. Every frame i break is the exact same point always, so it just needs to be a bit stronger there.

second point well I obviously disagree, but it annoys me how people don't even try to like other people's style. I have never once made a negative comment ever on anyone's video and if I try to like their music taste I usually succeed. If I don't like the music and video style then I make my own video the way I want. If you were interested in the style and gave suggestions on improvement I would listen but you are just saying drop your style. You complain about lack of variation even though that is exactly what style is... doing tricks you like not just as many as you possibly can to make people think you are good. I am sorry you dislike TGS videos but I think they are awesome. Next off I will explain the variation of my riding by analyzing variation it self

1) trick variation..... (doing a completely differnt trick, example 180 vs tailwhip)

2) combination variation.... doing a manuel 180 is not the same trick as a 180 or a manuel its a new trick

3) linking variation....... combining tricks together into combos. Example if you pedal kick a medium sized gap and then sidehop a medium sized ledge in the same clip it becomes good even though neither of the tricks by them selves would be good.

4) terrian variation...... doing a 180 up a stair set or off a skinny is a very different thing.

type 1 I am lacking in because I have a defined style where once I start the first trick in a line, I will continually do tricks till the end of the line without pausing to coast. If you are allowed to coast then you can simply land the first trick and then cut the clip off if you don't make the second. I have to make everything in a line or it doesn't count for anything at all. Almost everyone lacks in this type though. You could say the TGS of bmx is 360, barspin, tailwhip.

type 2 I have a moderate amount of but I have another rule where I don't do any tricks where I take my hands or feet off the pedals/bars which limits this type

type 3 and 4 is what I concentrate on. Manuel 360ing off a deck with no pre-turn at all is a lot different than a bank with huge amount of pre-turn or a gap drop down stairs.

No 2 combos are the same all the curb tech is extremely different. Same thing with TGS videos.... gap dropping onto a rail is a lot different than gap dropping over one.

third point I have given bmx many tries. You call me stubborn when it is you who is narrow minded. I have tried modern bmx geo probably every day... everyone I ride with is a bmxer. You have never tried my bike at all, you have tried a 200lb walmart mod with bmx bars and you probably rode it for what a good 3 minutes?? not my 18.9lb because which I spent the past 3 years refining the geometry. If you slap a bunch of random parts together of course it will be garbage. Every bmxer who ever tried my bike said it was amazing even mtnbikers say it feels great and the geo doesn't hurt my wrist. When I ride bmxes within 10 minutes my wrist hurts really badly I have to stop (I have a tendon problem in my left wrist) this bike is a doctor, I actually heal my wrist more by riding it than by resting it. I thought my wrist was ruined for my life but thanks to wonderful geo my wrist is slowly recovering. Not open to different ideas? I have ridden 26" 20" 24" trials bikes, bmxes, and mods with suspension I have tried probably every set up you can think of including an inspired fourplay.

fourth point on proper technique?? Actually I don't bitch crank when I ride but I do kick the pedals subconsciously sometimes. What does that mean? When I originally learned all the tricks I would bitch crank to make them and do them at .01 kmph. I got so used to it that now I still ratchet the cranks sometimes but the gearing isn't engaging as my ratio is too low. Actually you couldn't be more wrong. On a bmx it would work and only on a bmx because the gearing is high enough that it would engage. Next off why would I buy a bmx for high gearing, and then switch back to a mod? You can just run high gearing on a mod lol. Next off I already explained I want to get back into static spin tricks (stalls and stall spins) but I can't due to some minor problems with my bike set up. Right now I have to either run a pure street set up or a pure trials set up but with a few extremely small modifications I can do both.

This is my last response to anything related to getting a bmx or why I want a hybrid, unless it involves knowing where I can get one. (hybrid)

I feel I have over-explained my self sorry to come off as a jerk I am not angry or anything writing this just explaining as bluntly as I can.

yes you can! dmr and betd both made them, they are bashes that fit 3 piece cranks, and then have the option to run a 20-22t 5 arm chainring from mtb cranks

i run a dmr personally:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z301/pa...os/DSC00968.jpg

Now you have no excuse boyo ;)

thank you! I had no idea such a product existed. That solves one of my problems.

Edited by sayshell

Can't be bothered any more, there was a time when I'd sit here and argue to the death but I really can't be bothered.

The sooner you realize being a keyboard warrior is a shit existence the better.

Yes listen to the man he's been there and done that.

I liked the riding a wee bitty boring with all the spins and that but I didn't have to pay for it so, who cares.

You seem to have the spinning thing dialed though.

Keep it up dude and I hope you find the machine you are looking for.

And if you wanna wear wings and headbang in a field thats cool too, it's good you put it in your vid cos you can go back and laugh at it in years to come, maybe show your kids?

Matt

First of all hats off to you for creating such a talking point, I don't think i've seen a video thread with so many replies lol.

Anyways back to the video. First thing is I think you should definetly wear a helmet but about the riding: I thought it was good, I liked the spins but as mentioned earlier by someone else there was a few moments where an extra spin probably wasn't needed and made a line look slightly less smooth. I also think you are limiting yourself by not having a front brake fitted. You are fairly skilled at the bmx style moves and I don't have a problem about you doing them on a trials bike but you said earlier you don't like hopping down stuff as it scares you because you think you're going to brake your frame, no offense but unless your doing big drops (which by the sounds of it your not) or damaging the bike in some other way you shouldn't be braking frames. Also there are so many other trials moves that you could probably pull off considering how good your balance seems already, such as nose pivots, g turns and many other tricks (front brake would obviously help for some of these as mentioned earlier).

You say you have tried most combinations including an inspired, what exactly did you not like about the fourplay? I havn't rode one personally but i've rode quite a few other 24s such as ns bikes and dmr's etc and found them much smoother and nicer to do bmx type stuff on then an actual bmx.

Anyways don't let anyone bring you down, ride how you want and good luck with finding your hybrid combination. Please don't take my comments as being offensive as im just curious and trying to help.

Cheers

Ye but almost all of the replies in that thread are about how good the video is whereas a lot of the replies in this thread are much more mixed and negative towards the original poster. What I actually meant was its been interesting to see how many people have been so negative towards someones riding style. Anyways that wasn't the whole point of my last post ;)

Ye but almost all of the replies in that thread are about how good the video is whereas a lot of the replies in this thread are much more mixed and negative towards the original poster. What I actually meant was its been interesting to see how many people have been so negative towards someones riding style. Anyways that wasn't the whole point of my last post ;)

to answer your other question I have broken a frame. It wasn't the same one I am running now but the one I have now is the same material and weighs even less so I have trouble trusting it. The inspired is great very controlled feeling bike but I am more into something super light and maneuverable. I liked it a lot its just not what I am looking for. This thread has lots of comments because I reply to most of them.

to answer your other question I have broken a frame. It wasn't the same one I am running now but the one I have now is the same material and weighs even less so I have trouble trusting it. The inspired is great very controlled feeling bike but I am more into something super light and maneuverable. I liked it a lot its just not what I am looking for. This thread has lots of comments because I reply to most of them.

Sorry i dont want to start anything, but you keep saying you "have trouble trusting" a frame or a part again which has been said at least 4 times. While there are sh*tty parts out there, and most people are aware of them, just because you broke one frame doesnt mean the next will be just as Sh*tty. Do you think Danny mac dropped inspired after he jumped a 24 set of stairs and broke a frame? (not saying that he broke one like that). I would advise you to try out a frame (parts) you might have broken before, yet really enjoyed riding.

because I need a bike that can do both. I contacted every frame manufacturer in the world and offered them 5-10000$ and none would even consider it. So looks like I will have to learn how to weld my self hahaha.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. I can't believe Triton / Mielec / Pinigin won't make you a frame for that much money. In fact, they'd probably make you one happily for 1000$.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. I can't believe Triton / Mielec / Pinigin won't make you a frame for that much money. In fact, they'd probably make you one happily for 1000$.

ive never even heard of any of those Ill take a look. Ive only been trying companies that already make trials frames.

You also work at a fast food shop, no way can you afford to spend that much on a frame!

yeah I can. I don't buy anything except rent leaving me 1100$ a month to spend on bike parts.

Triton / Mielec / Pinigin, they all do trial frames already mate :)

did you try hoffman bikes? the german brand

No, I have only been trying big companies like bionic, neon, etc.. Thank you for the help! I think mielec was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Is that a serious question? You just google search 5 words of the lyrics and you can find out what any song is. Now you know the trick hahaha.

Yes I am serious! That was the 3rd time I asked!

Why cant you just tell me? Im too lazy to google it.

Edited by Joe O'Connor

Spin, spin, spin with a high hop at the end, spin, spin. Why did I sit and watch 2 mins of it? Anywho, stop attention seeking. If nobody made comments about your riding or your clothing/lifestyle you'd soon give up, as you'd get bored as you were getting no attention. I know people are giving it to you, and so am I here, but I just thought I'd tell...

Spin, spin, spin with a high hop at the end, spin, spin. Why did I sit and watch 2 mins of it? Anywho, stop attention seeking. If nobody made comments about your riding or your clothing/lifestyle you'd soon give up, as you'd get bored as you were getting no attention. I know people are giving it to you, and so am I here, but I just thought I'd tell...

you knew i would reply to this hahaha. I am too old and injured to be good at riding, so I try to focus more on the entertainment value. Whether you enjoy the style or just think its funny and ridiculous either way you would be more entertained. So why complain about it? You didn't pay for it or have to watch it.

Ok i promise no more replying to my thread. But I feel compelled to answer inquisitive comments. Last reply... DOne.

Edited by sayshell

Ur telling me uve offerd a company 10g's and they said no?

what about that company that damon rode for who make custom geo frames for 400 quid?

marino i think its called::S

what amazes me most about danny mac is how he still has so much balls for his age. A rider with as much technical skill as him doesn't even need balls to make a crazy video part but I guess he really likes pushing the bar. Either one of two things are true. He really really really wants to make the lines hes trying or he is just crazy. Or maybe a bit of both. As you get older I find you loose motivation to go big. You loose those emotions that get you all fired up now I would only try stuff where I either have a 100% chance of making it, or if I fall its the kind of thing where you can't get hurt so I usually end up just doing tech.

I agree with that, you either reach an age where you think that there is too much at stake to have a wee tumble or you get into a comfort zone and get to scared to push it. But Danny has his bike he earns his living... I'm pretty sure all the lines he does that pushes the boat way out is for his own self pride. I find I always try new things and ride best when something is really getting to me in the back of my mind.