Snow Flake Spokes?

hoots man

think i will just re-lace 3 cross if a spoke goes. so far so good though, night ride tonight and am going to put it through its paces.

Wow i did not even know that you could do this kind of things to the wheel ... Is there any other funny things you could do?

you can mix up the lacing like a flake and radial on one wheel. there must be more but best thing to to is have a look on google images.

be a bitch to true the wheel cause you won't get the same lateral pull on the wheel if all the spokes are wrapped around eachother they'll be in the middle of the rim? (i know what i mean in my head hahah)

You don't even need to heat the spokes - they'll still see higher stress at the hub flange and the threaded end than they'll see where they're wrapped around each other. Just stress relieve after building and it will be reliable. Working out the spoke length you need will be the really interesting part though...

so how do you work out what spoke length you need?

u +2mm

so guys, after a good old ride i have decided that flake is not the best choice. i feel it flex doing gap to front switch to backs and the fact that having my front laced like that makes concentration while doing stuff focus slightly on "is my wheel going to handle this". it looks trip but if it was the way to go we would all be doing it. my wheel came out of true a few time tonight and was fixed by hitting the rim with my hands, goes to show that its not too strong.

going to keep it for a few days just to see if it beds in but i think it may be a load of old shrivelled bollox.

thanks for your posts guys :)

I rode a guys mod a little while ago. Was crazy spoke patterns.

Front disc side - 3x

Front driveside - snowflake

Rear disc side - snowflake (edit - not a rear disc used though)

Rear driveside - 3x

Looked cool as f**k, and didn't feel too bad. My wheels are generally a bit loosely built though, so I guess that's not a fair test :P

He's been running it for ages. 18 months ish.

Edited by aener

I rode a guys mod a little while ago. Was crazy spoke patterns.

Front disc side - 3x

Front driveside - snowflake

Rear disc side - snowflake (edit - not a rear disc used though)

Rear driveside - 3x

Looked cool as f**k, and didn't feel too bad. My wheels are generally a bit loosely built though, so I guess that's not a fair test :P

He's been running it for ages. 18 months ish.

that sounds cool but i think the smaller the wheel the stronger the build. Maybe 3 cross one side (disc) and snow flake the other could be stronger.