Long Term Injurys And Hanging Up The Boots

HargrovesToby

Hey Guys,

Have been fighting a few long term injurys recently, in both knees from a double dislocation and an ankle problem. I've really fought to stay riding but having seen a surgeon yesterday, the news was not good. If i don't stop riding, i'm going to have ongoing even more serious problems in other joints and arthritic problems from 25 which won't be much fun! New bikes only 3 weeks old, about to go up for sale on here, so its time to quit riding, once and for all unfortunately!

Has anybody else had the same problems through injury?? And anybody else had to quit because of it?

Cheers, Toby

Hey Guys,

Have been fighting a few long term injurys recently, in both knees from a double dislocation and an ankle problem. I've really fought to stay riding but having seen a surgeon yesterday, the news was not good. If i don't stop riding, i'm going to have ongoing even more serious problems in other joints and arthritic problems from 25 which won't be much fun! New bikes only 3 weeks old, about to go up for sale on here, so its time to quit riding, once and for all unfortunately!

Has anybody else had the same problems through injury?? And anybody else had to quit because of it?

Cheers, Toby

Obviously I don't know your situation but Doctors are always telling people they wont be able to do things ever again to cover their backs. Maybe if you give us a bit more detail about your problems some of the lads on here will be able to help more. There's some clever dudes on here with loads of knowledge that will hopefully help you out.

Anyway I wouldn't hang up my boots just yet if I was you.

sorry to hear that

ive got arthritus in both my knees and im 26,and have permanant ligament damage in both my ankles but i just keep at it .there not to bad in the summer but this time of year they cane and sumtimes just to painful to ride.the only thing i take to try and help is cod liver oil tablets and joint protect tablets which help alot

Obviously I don't know your situation but Doctors are always telling people they wont be able to do things ever again to cover their backs. Maybe if you give us a bit more detail about your problems some of the lads on here will be able to help more. There's some clever dudes on here with loads of knowledge that will hopefully help you out.

Anyway I wouldn't hang up my boots just yet if I was you.

Hey mate yeah sure. Basically i fell from the hand rail of a half pipe whilst riding along it to do a gap to wall. When i landed on the wall the drive side crank snapped, throwing all my weight down through my knee, pushing my foot vertical and left knee followed over the frame, pushing my leg out and away from my knee too. result was a double dislocation. Had 3 ops on right knee and 2 on left now. To remove fragments of bone in the first one and then to try and remove all the damaged cartalidge, which was most of it, and also repair some deep ligament damage (snapped acl.) Knees still not right now, constant pain and riding just isn't helping.

Toby

I've been off riding injured since sep 2008, though nothing broken it was fleshwounds getting infected & not healing + 3rd world medical treatment, seeing a proper doctor on monday & hoping it'll all be done.

Being flesh wounds it'll obviously all go and just leave scars unlike arthiritis & stuff like that but I've never thought about quitting, after 17 months my new bike's sitting here & i'm dying to ride.

Plenty of people have been told they'll never _____ again etc but you'd be surprised how many people overcome it & win, doctors gotta cover themselves & be on the safe side.

Yeah i know what you mean about doctors, but i know myself now that its not good, can't sit crossed legged, cant push clutch pedal on my car some times, cant squat properly now too, knees constantly swollen, not good! I still climb and kayak a lot so hopefully it might ease the pain, but i can feel climbing being off limits to soon!!

I had to quit a few years ago too after I snapped the ligaments in my left knee. It's not paiful anymore but it's very unstable and will dislocate randomly etc all the time. I've also broken both my ankles twice from skating and snapped all the ligaments in both of them too. Currently recovering from snapped ligaments and a broken right collarbone.

the only thing i take to try and help is cod liver oil tablets and joint protect tablets which help alot

A better, and more targeted bet would be to take glucosamine chondroitin tablets. They're available from anywhere, e.g. Boots or your local supermarket, but they're specifically aimed at helping knee tendons, ligaments and the meniscus. I'm not 100% about how they work, but I think they attract water to the ligaments and tendons so they're smoother and work better, meaning a reduction in knee pain or something like that. My Mum's been diagnosed with early-onset arthritis in her knees, and she's been told to take it, but they're also recommended for anyone who's had an ACL reconstruction at any point.

So yeah, I wouldn't necessarily quit yet - just get some of the tablets I've mentioned, and just try and keep your leg muscles all supple and even. I got some pretty harsh patellar tendonitis because when I was recovering from a f**ked ankle my leg muscles deteriorated at a different rate. If they aren't all flexible and equally sort of balanced, when you strain your leg and bend your knee your knee's being pulled in a 'wrong' way, so it'll do some damage over time. There are plenty of exercises online that I ended up using, and they really helped my knees stop hurting and feel a lot better.

All in all, keep your fluid intake up (not shitty fizzy drinks 'cos they rape your joints), keep taking the tablets and try using the exercises. Just Google 'patellar tendonitis exercises' and they come up with general leg workouts that you can do with no additional exercise equipment or anything that you should hopefully get some good benefit from.

I get back pains quite alot it sorta comes and goes. Yesterday i was lifting stuff and it's started to hurt again I never bend my knees properly that's probably why I should go the doctor I supose but I never will.

Go to an osteopash before it develops and gets worse and worse mate. I used to have back pains which slowly developed to become really severe and when I got up it would randomly kinda freeze as if two disks had locked together in the wrong way kinda thing. Got to a stage where I was at home for a week cos it was so painful to move, had 4 osteo sessions during this week (in which i blacked out and fitted twice from the pain) which determined that my spine was out of line and managed to sort it out pretty well. That was a few years ago and I've been back a few times but now it seems pretty much perfect.

You back is not something to be f**ked with in my opinion and if an osteo can catch it in minor stages and get it all back into place again then it could save a f**k load of hassle in the future.

Edited by Max Quinn

I think it would have to be pretty damn bad to stop me riding. Ruptured my spleen on my bike, ruined my dream of being in the army - both my knees swell regularly when I knock them on my stem or whatever, rolled both my ankles, can't take impact to the chest etc.

I aint stopping anytime soon.

A better, and more targeted bet would be to take glucosamine chondroitin tablets. They're available from anywhere, e.g. Boots or your local supermarket, but they're specifically aimed at helping knee tendons, ligaments and the meniscus. I'm not 100% about how they work, but I think they attract water to the ligaments and tendons so they're smoother and work better, meaning a reduction in knee pain or something like that. My Mum's been diagnosed with early-onset arthritis in her knees, and she's been told to take it, but they're also recommended for anyone who's had an ACL reconstruction at any point.

So yeah, I wouldn't necessarily quit yet - just get some of the tablets I've mentioned, and just try and keep your leg muscles all supple and even. I got some pretty harsh patellar tendonitis because when I was recovering from a f**ked ankle my leg muscles deteriorated at a different rate. If they aren't all flexible and equally sort of balanced, when you strain your leg and bend your knee your knee's being pulled in a 'wrong' way, so it'll do some damage over time. There are plenty of exercises online that I ended up using, and they really helped my knees stop hurting and feel a lot better.

All in all, keep your fluid intake up (not shitty fizzy drinks 'cos they rape your joints), keep taking the tablets and try using the exercises. Just Google 'patellar tendonitis exercises' and they come up with general leg workouts that you can do with no additional exercise equipment or anything that you should hopefully get some good benefit from.

ash is correct , i take them and they realy help.

think porter has used it aswell.

:)

Hey Dude,

I have Bust my ankles, broke all my metatarsills in my right foot and most recently broken all of the ligaments bar one in my right knee and i go into a full knee reconstruct this monday.

i have thought about giving it in and i am one of the luckiest guys alive( in my own oppinion) to have the friend that i do ( you guys know who you are) for supporting me and keeping positive thoughts in my mind, i have a long road of recovery coming up and i know the support and friends i have that the ride at the end of the year with me and my mates is going to be a top one!

Watch this,

yes that is a young me!

Keep your chin up and cheers!

Kenny