Jumping On The Brakeless 24" Bandwagon...

AdamR28

I still don't trust this spoke thing you've got going on, what if your pedaling backwards and it slips into the chain?

If you're pedalling backwards, the bottom chain line runs from back to front (forwards), so there's literally nothing for the chain to 'catch' on. If you're pedalling forwards, the bottom line of the chain goes from front to back which is where any potential problem might come in. It's still not going to do anything though 'cos as Adam says the tip's bent up, and you'd have to have some kind of really, really bad luck for it to bend down enough to actually catch inbetween the rollers on your chain. It'd have to be some mental tight angle.

Personally I reckon 24", but that's just 'cos the only brakeless 26" bike I've ridden's not been set up to my liking I guess. I'm still a mod fan at heart (waiting for someone to change that to 'gay'), and 26" wheels just don't feel nimble enough for my liking.

I'd like to try it but i'm concerned for a couple of reasons. I ride on my own mostly so having a look out etc would be useful, also i ride a lot from location to location so i can see it being a bit hairy without brakes - more so than the trials even. Also as its central London i ride nearly 100% of the time, i just think it will cause too many problems and i don't want to be the dick that rides in to everyone. Theres just too many people for it to be feasable.

Still, i think i'd enjoy it a lot and as i say would love to give it a go.

Also as its central London i ride nearly 100% of the time, i just think it will cause too many problems and i don't want to be the dick that rides in to everyone.

I rode BMX for 3 years pretty much all day every day throughout central London and had no problems at all.

You also don't really need a 'look out' or anything - I've ridden on my own with no hassle, and Stan has too. It's not any more 'dangerous' than real trials because you basically have to start a lot smaller. Ads was worried about looping and raping his back, but he soon realised that you do get a feel for when things are going wrong much sooner so you can get out of town faster. It's the same with going place-to-place as well, you start looking significantly further ahead so it's not really a problem.

I had many concerns when I first started riding brakeless BMX, with me riding down A roads majority of the time its pretty dangerous really, but as soon as you get on you start to be a lot more precautious, it helped my riding alot because I was more concious of the surroundings and used to know what I could or couldn't risk. At the same time it used to work in my favour ( Until I crashed ) when I didnt dare do something i'd just go for it and hope for the best, I'm considering trying brakeless on a mod :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my mates used to ride brakeless BMX back when we were kids (Early eighties) mostly cos we were too skint to get our brakes fixed, and lets be honest brakes back then were sheeite anyway.

The most dangerous thing about it was my mother going mental cos my shoes were always f**ked from jamming my foot sideways between the rear tyre (and sometimes front) and the frame if you get me.

Also it was mostly dirt jumping to be honest oh and kerb slides! :giggle:

Cant say I am into the idea of (me) riding brakeless trials though, I hated it when I had no front brake for a few weeks.

Good luck with that though.

On the note of riding around central London with no brakes. I, like Mark, did it on a BMX for 5 years and found that it was fine, there aren't any hills big enough in London for it to be a massive concern. The danger I found isn't really from lack of breaks there but rather the mental traffic and stoopid peds..