Michelin Wildrock R 2.4 Tyre Mini Review.

Bigman

Righty then, after along time of not realy doing much with thier DH/FR tyres Michelin have updated them! The WildRock R that I have bought is a 2.4 version, it is a single ply tyre with a soft compound, The compound is not as soft as the Conti rain king/kaiser, i would say that it is probably between the maxxis 42a super tacky and the kenda stick-e, so it is quite grippy, Seems better than the rubber queen i have ridden before. As for the weight, on my little scales it came out at 900g (michelin quote 1000g), so quite light realy, After riding it on some natural today it is obviously not as stable as a dual ply tyre, but it is much more predictable than the rubber queen as it is not so balloon like, For the price of £26 (from anywhere that can order from Raleigh) I would say that is a pretty good tyre, Chainreaction have them on the site but they are not in stock yet, they do however have the 2.1inch version of what I am running which I think would be a pretty good front tyre, when i get some more money I will probably get one to try.

Here are a few pictures of it on the bike:

p4220393.jpg

p4220395.jpg

Link to a place with some Info on the tyres.

Adam

How much bounce??? Anything like the rubber queen?

It was hard to say on the natural I was riding today, it was mostly small techy stuff, Once i have ridden some street/bgger move natural I shall update this thread.

Adam

They have a good looking tread pattern which always helps.

These always used to seem so heavy but apparently not.

This is the lightweight tyre, there is also a 2ply version, which is a 2.5, michelin quote 1300g for it, but if they over-estimate the weight like they did the this tyre it could be lighter.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

We literally just got these in, they seem like pretty sweet tyres. The Wildgrip'r 2.1" is a pretty nice front tyre too. Surprised by how light the 2.4" jobber is though, should be a beast (Y) Your's still going alright Biggus?

Just to show the tread pattern a bit more too:

large_rockr.jpg

large_wildgripr.jpg

Bigman's tyre is for sale, says it was a little too lightweight for him :)

Im rockin the rock'R now :D Yet to properly abuse it but so far enjoying the lack of weight, good dry grip and also the higher TPI, hopefully I can wear down the tread before the sidewalls rip open like I've found with the rubber queens.

You gotta put a lot of air in this tyre to stop it squirming on rocks, as Bigman says it is a lightweight tyre and its got nothing on a der kaiser for stability. Even with a higher pressure you can still preload it on flat ground so its all good so far. The lack of weight makes my normal lines smoother because everything is easier. Havn't tried pushing limits on it so no flats yet!