Energy Drinks

montyalp221

Drinking rockstar seems worst for me, I had a rockstar punched after doing some dirt jumps on my mountain bike, then I rode home and felt horrible. I just had to sit down and felt like I was going to throw up, but I seemed to walk off the feeling, but i'm glad I didn't do trials if just riding home made me feel like crap! :P

The likes of Red Bull, Monster, Relentless etc are great if you're feeling a bit tired and need a pick up. But for riding I can't see it making a difference to the riding ability, mentally and physically. Unless you're riding under par due to feeling too tired or lethargic it could help give you some energy to get you going. But because of the caffein in them, you'll always get a come down, which isn't ideal for sports. Although Red Bull doesn't seem as intense as the others, so for sports if any caffeine related drink is used, it'd be Red Bull.

Personally I find Lucazade sport (the non fizzy one) the one to drink. It without doubt used to help me prevent arm pump in competitions (cramping and lactic acid build up in arms due to continually pulling the brakes and using arm forearm muscles).

The same applied to a Powder mix energy drink (HIGH 5) I think it was. I was cycling a long distance and my legs where cramping up and the occasional sipping of the drink would help a lot.

So these energy drinks (propper non caffein drinks) will help you ride longer at a high level by giving your muscles the energy they need for a short period of time, but they don't make you ride better, i.e hop higher or give a better mental attitude.

I find drinking Relentless makes you need a toilet pretty near by. After literally a few swigs it triggers a toilet visit. Every time. It's bizarre. It must pass go or something.

Just on a taste level (don't wanna get into the science and how bad it is for you stuff)... there's this one we drink out in Poland called 'Burn'... its a CocaCola Company invention, and its LUSH! Do give it a try when out in Europe.. sure I've seen it in Germany and plenty of other places

1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Monster low carb (Blue can), Rockstar no sugar (White can) are pretty much the best two. As with all energy drinks, they work best if you drink them on an empty stomach and don't eat anything for at least 30-60mins after consuming, after with you need to hydrate with water.

Strong black coffee with no sugar also works wonders.

It's worth noting that your body is made up of around 3/4s water.

My girlfriend and close friends take the piss out of me because I'm constantly harping on about the stuff. If they have a cold I say 'drink more water', if they're tired I say 'drink more water', if they are down in the dumps I say 'drink more water'. Why? Simple theory really: When a single substance makes up such a massive amount of you as a person, it's worth keeping that shit topped up and fresh. It's like changing the oil on a car. It's all body maintenance.

Drink more water. I go through around 5 litres a day. I piss like a f**king fountain, but it's clear so I know I'm all good. For that reason I feel relaxed, energised and pretty f**king awesome. Come Sunday night when I've had nothing but alcohol for 2 days I feel shit. Tons of water and back to normal by midday Monday.

Drink more water (Y)